Sign in to follow this  
Arun

[Resolved] LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

in p3d v4, After setting maximum Lod radius in the sim I still get LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 in the p3d cfg file. is that ok? is that still the maximum setting? I would be very grateful for a response before I try a reinstall. thanks  

Edited by Poppet
[Resolved]

Windows 11 | MSI PRO X670-P WIFI AM5 Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D | MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SUPREME  X | CORSAIR VENG 4800 DDR5 | WD 1TB M.2 | WD 2TB M.2 | LG - OLED48C14LB 48" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR | Seasonic Vertex GX 1200W PSW. 

That is correct, why would you reinstall based on that value alone?  Just confusing, really confusing.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I don't know that it would have any effect... since autogen can go out as far as you can "see" in the sim... does it matter?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

4 minutes ago, jafferhussain11 said:

@WarpDcould one manually increase it above that limit (6.5) via the .cfg file , or is that a nonsensical thing to do :D ?

I know I'll do it. I have always doing it and I have planned to continue with it. Mountains are one of the main reason I fly on first place and LOD 6.5 ...isn't the greatest. More like 8.5. Maybe even 9.5, if all went well. =)

And I believe it matters.

It's for having better shaped terrain ...further from your viewing point, isn't it ?

That setting isn't going to change the way the sim shifts between different LOD values in the mesh.  

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

6 minutes ago, gamer19 said:

It's for having better shaped terrain ...further from your viewing point, isn't it ?

Has nothing to do with mountains and the shape of terrain.  Your mesh resolution setting deals with that.  Level of detail refers only to the textures that are painted on top of the mesh. A good setting is one where you find it hard where the level of texture detail falls off without sacrificing performance.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, thank you both. Feel a  bit silly right now to tell you the truth... :blush:

That setting isn't going to change the way the sim shifts between different LOD values in the mesh.

But what will change it ? Is there any ...textual editing solution for that ?

No one ?

Well, I search and I find it. Great Frank Dainese said it:

Some details ...
In reality there is no better test than a wide distribution of the scenario. So it was. I received several emails with photos of the scenery 3D Western Dolomites. For the most part they are good pictures, with landscapes of all kinds, but I also noticed some errors overlap, and more.
Here are some tips, most of which I had already written in the previous post, to get a better view of the landscapes of the Dolomites 3D scene.
Ideal hardware:
Generation i7 CPU, 8GB RAM (preferably 16 GB), ATI Radeon 6800-7800 series, HD 250GB SSD. (The SSDs have performance well beyond the traditional HD).

Software:
OS Windows 7 (no appreciable advantage with Windows 8)
FSX file fsx.cfg some instructions (available online) concern the optimization of CPUs (+ core),

LOD_RADIUS 9.50000 (for better focus at a distance).

IMPORTANT:
Disable all mesh (FSglobal, UTX, GEX, FSGenesis, Pro-mesh ...) present in the scenery library, especially if they involve the Dolomite area.
Please note that FSX gives priority to mesh with higher LOD, even if inserted in the bottom of the scenery library.
Disable all scenarios photorealistic (orthophotos) in the area to avoid conflicts.
(Of course all operations fully reversible).
Keep the priorities suggested previously to avoid overlapping.

This type of scenario is very suitable to take pictures with different weather situations, different times, sunrise, sunset ... After all, if you rent a small plane to Bolzano to Cortina, certainly not you do it to look at the cockpit of the plane. .. but to do more (especially if there's a beautiful day). Have a good flight on DOLOMITI 3D.

(that's quote from one of his just beautiful sceneries)

Now... I don't want to doubt you two guys  but if great Frank said it...

English is not my native (neither is Frank's:xo:), then what else could "LOD_RADIUS 9.50000  (IS FOR) better focus at a distance" actually mean then ? :mellow:

I was reading here in the "V4 early impressions" topic someone even changed it to LOD 14.5 together with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

See here...

But i don't know him or if he knows his limits. :-)

Better focus at a distance deals with level of detail for textures.  Please read that again... textures.  It has nothing to do with mesh.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, gamer19 said:

No one ?

Well, I search and I find it. Great Frank Dainese said it:

(that's quote from one of his just beautiful sceneries)

Now... I don't want to doubt you two guys  but if great Frank said it...

English is not my native (neither is Frank's:xo:), then what else could "LOD_RADIUS 9.50000  (IS FOR) better focus at a distance" actually mean then ? :mellow:

Looks like this is referring to FSX. Is your question in regards to FSX or P3D v4? FSX is a different app.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

P3D ofc, this is P3D sub-forum.

But, really... you sure that there's a difference between FSX and P3D ?  I'm so not convinced. :males::uwe_melk:

Hi I am also looking into the way to go above LOD_RADIUS=6.500000. I see this as resolved here, but haven't found how. Please show me the way. Thank you so much!