Sign in to follow this  
larshall

World’s largest airplane - Stratolaunch with 6 747 engines ...

I'll believes it when I sees it.

NAX669.png

It's undeniably an incredible bit of engineering. Wouldn't fancy a dual engine failure on one wing in that thing at V1 though, and even without any engine problems, I bet it will feel bizarre to be sat in the starboard cockpit on the take off roll trying to keep it lined up on the runway lol. Going to be amazing to see that thing finally take off though, that's for sure. Good job it's got an MTOW of 1.3 million lbs though, it'll need that to lift the test pilot's massive balls off the ground lol

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think it is a great concept, with the number of 747-400's coming out of service those engines will be in surplus, no wonder this was his engine of choice

Matthew Kane

Not quite sure, design-wise, why they didn't go for a high-mounted tailplane which went all the way across between both vertical fins, like it is on for example, the OV-10 Bronco. Seems to me that would have made the airframe a bit more structurally rigid and ensured anything slung underneath it was well clear of causing turbulence to the elevators, but I guess they must have their reasons.

Alan Bradbury

That's a really scary-looking configuration esp. with all that weight - would love to witness the first test flight...  

(Can't wait till I can download it for FSX - any painters out there?)

5 hours ago, Chock said:

It's undeniably an incredible bit of engineering. Wouldn't fancy a dual engine failure on one wing in that thing at V1 though, and even without any engine problems, I bet it will feel bizarre to be sat in the starboard cockpit on the take off roll trying to keep it lined up on the runway lol. 

Nah, they have these things called cameras now. Just slap a GoPro on the center wing and feed it to a cockpit MFD.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

15 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Nah, they have these things called cameras now. Just slap a GoPro on the center wing and feed it to a cockpit MFD.

Why do you need a crew at all? just make these things into the worlds largest drones. That would be safer for flight testing and carrying the explosive payloads (rockets)

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

13 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

Why do you need a crew at all? just make these things into the worlds largest drones. That would be safer for flight testing and carrying the explosive payloads (rockets)

Good point, although I can think of two reasons why it would be manned. As a drone, it might be more restricted in flight path to avoid populated areas (although I guess they'll be doing that anyway). And second, you just know these billionaire-funded projects will have to include a seat for the CEO. If it were me, I'd sure want at least one flight in the thing!

Is it just me, or do the nose and cockpit areas(s) look a bit reminiscent of the nose and cockpit of the Rockwell B-1 Lancer?

Alan Bradbury

Ugly A$$ contraption.

spacer.png

Right, the Kerbal game is a good way to understand the concept. You spend a lot of rocket mass and fuel just getting up out of the drag in the lower atmosphere. And then all that becomes dead weight you have to cast off (or recycle like the SpaceX booster). This is just another alternative for re-using the "booster." 

The SpaceX idea scales up better for large payloads. This looks like it might be competitive for smaller projects, like launching small rockets with multiple tiny satellites.