Sign in to follow this  
trisho0

PMDG MD-11 (FS2004) Questions

26 minutes ago, vc10man said:

That is where my screengrab was from, earlier post.

Hi Rick,

I see.  I take it you still have a much older navigation database installed? 

1 hour ago, trisho0 said:

I may have to isolate the PMDG MD-11 tutorial and take a look at videos tutorial from youtube.com at least to find out on how the MD-11 FMC works. For right now the 777 and 747 is more friendly for me (lol).

Just to clarify my previous post: DET2G & DVR4G are not waypoints.  DET2G is a SID (Standard Departure) and BLM2G is a STAR (Standard Arrival). If you use them where the Tutorial calls for DVR4G and BLM1G, you should be good to go.  I can see DET2G in your screen shot and BLM2G should be there too.  From looking at various charts, I'm almost certain they are in the current Airac.  I am sure that DVR4G is not a current departure as it doesn't show up in the list of SIDs for Heathrow.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

47 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Hi Patricio,

I have the MD-11 for FSX and it looks like it uses the same or a similar flight plan for the Tutorial.

Instead of SID DVR4G use DET2G and add DET UL6.  This will get you to Dover (DVR).

For the STAR use BLM2G instead of BLM1G.   Keep the GIPOL transition for Runway 14.

The plan should look like this:

EGLL DET2G DET UL6 DVR UL9 KONAN UL607 KOK UM150 DIK UN852 GTQ BLM BLM2G LSZH

Mike

Not sure if you were the first helper asking me to post my messages with my name on it. If so, then you are good Captain too (lol). I will proceed tomorrow night your F-PLN.

I have both recently purchased. The MD-11X and the fs9. The tutorial I am learning is for the fs9. The problem with such missing waypoint (DVR4G) is from fs9. I didn't try on the FSX yet.

Many thanks

Patricio Valdes

55 minutes ago, vc10man said:

No different than the 777 or the 747.

Oh Yes! Big differences. 777 and 747 very similar if not the same. MD-11 has the MCDU (FMC) totally different procedures I mean very complicated comparing with 777 and 747. Well.... it's just me and maybe the MD-11 is easy too. I need to complete the tutorial to see at the end. From the MD-11 I don't know yet how to prepare the ILS approach. From 777 and 747 is more easy but MD-11 .....OOPS! 

Patricio Valdes

16 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

I have both recently purchased. The MD-11X and the fs9. The tutorial I am learning is for the fs9. The problem with such missing waypoint (DVR4G) is from fs9. I didn't try on the FSX yet.

Hi Patricio,

It won't matter whether you use FS9 or FSX.  The database used by the MD-11 and other PMDG aircraft is separate from the FS9 (or FSX) database.  (It's in the FS9\PMDG folder.) You will be able to fly the revised tutorial flight plan.

You can have problems with missing runways and nav aids. That information IS in the FS9 database.  For example KSEA, KIAD and KORD have more and/or differently numbered runways from when FS9 (and FSX) was created.  You can also have problems with  changed frequencies for ILS approaches and other nav aids.  This is because when you tune an ILS for example, the aircraft radio looks for a signal generated by FS9.  If FS9 has a different ILS frequency from what the aircraft's radio is tuned to, the aircraft radio won't detect it.  

You can  tell what nav aids and runways are available and their frequencies by looking in FS9's Map.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

23 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Just to clarify my previous post: DET2G & DVR4G are not waypoints.  DET2G is a SID (Standard Departure) and BLM2G is a STAR (Standard Arrival). If you use them where the Tutorial calls for DVR4G and BLM1G, you should be good to go.  I can see DET2G in your screen shot and BLM2G should be there too.  From looking at various charts, I'm almost certain they are in the current Airac.  I am sure that DVR4G is not a current departure as it doesn't show up in the list of SIDs for Heathrow.

Mike

Hmm.... interesting. They are not waypoints..... now I understand better. SID and STAR. I never used SID/STAR on 747 FMC and I am be able to do Autoland. I am sure will be more professional to work with SID/STAR but I need to learn from MD-11 this time. After MD-11 I will do 777 and 747 tutorials again.

On the another hand I can download AIRAC 1706 since I am subscribed for a year but if I update the AIRAC I will need to update some airports code like Hong-Kong Kai-Tak and Casablanca for Level-D, PMDG and PSS.

Patricio Valdes

2 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Hmm.... interesting. They are not waypoints..... now I understand better. SID and STAR. I never used SID/STAR on 747 FMC and I am be able to do Autoland. I am sure will be more professional to work with SID/STAR but I need to learn from MD-11 this time. After MD-11 I will do 777 and 747 tutorials again.

On the another hand I can download AIRAC 1706 since I am subscribed for a year but if I update the AIRAC I will need to update some airports code like Hong-Kong Kai-Tak and Casablanca for Level-D, PMDG and PSS.

You can get an idea of SIDs and STARs by looking at the charts for Heathrow at this link:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=94&Itemid=143.html

I picked DET2G because the endpoint DET (Detling) is near DVR (Dover).

Yes each time you will have to reinstall some of the data for the various addons for KaiTak (I take it Casablanca is also an obsolete airport).  PMDG should not need to reinstall SIDs/STARs, not sure about the others off hand.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

5 hours ago, Mike777 said:

I take it you still have a much older navigation database installed? 

No, no. That was just a screengrab from the Tutorial PDF. I am in fact a bona fide subscriber to Navigraph's Cycles.

5 hours ago, trisho0 said:

missing waypoint (DVR4G) is from fs9

And it is also in the original FSX Tutorial and if as Mike has pointed out, you are using the latest AIRAC Cycel, then you will not see that SID there too.

5 hours ago, trisho0 said:

Big differences.

I was more or less referring 'in theory' there are not a great deal of differences in each respective aircraft's FMC. After all they come from the same Boeing production line. It's like you jump into a GM Chevrolet of a Cad, manual. Both would more or less have the same stick-shift.

Anyway, Good Luck.

20 hours ago, Mike777 said:

You can get an idea of SIDs and STARs by looking at the charts for Heathrow at this link:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=94&Itemid=143.html

I picked DET2G because the endpoint DET (Detling) is near DVR (Dover).

Yes each time you will have to reinstall some of the data for the various addons for KaiTak (I take it Casablanca is also an obsolete airport).  PMDG should not need to reinstall SIDs/STARs, not sure about the others off hand.

Mike

I can see several of those Charts from that link and really hard for me to understand but learning and not giving up. About SID of DET2G I will navigate tonight after work. Thanks a lot Mike.

Patricio Valdes

15 hours ago, vc10man said:

And it is also in the original FSX Tutorial and if as Mike has pointed out, you are using the latest AIRAC Cycel, then you will not see that SID there too.

You are right! so, just pick another SID. Mistakenly I was saying DVR4G as a waypoint instead of SID. I learned about thanks to Mike. Thank you Rick.

Patricio Valdes

10 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

I can see several of those Charts from that link and really hard for me to understand but learning and not giving up. About SID of DET2G I will navigate tonight after work. Thanks a lot Mike.

Hi Patricio,

I think you will get a better idea of what is happening by doing the tutorial (with the modified flight plan) and also looking at the chart.  Feel free to pause the sim as much as you want.

I suggested that you use DET2G SID as it uses the same runway, 27L, and gets you very near DVR, which is the starting point for the main route in the tutorial.

Take a look at the chart that has DET2G on it:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-92748DB5DC023EE4CBF988FA2AC5E90B/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGLL_6-5_en_2016-09-15.pdf

You will see that DET2G is particular for Runway 27L.  You can also see the way points on that SID.  On the lower part of the chart is a description in words of the path.  Try loading that exact departure into the MD-11 FMC (or any other PMDG aircraft) and compare the list of way points with what you see on the chart.  You will also notice altitude restrictions both on the chart and on the FMC way point entries.

Mike

Edited by Mike777
Added explanation about why to use DET2G

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

15 hours ago, vc10man said:

I was more or less referring 'in theory' there are not a great deal of differences in each respective aircraft's FMC. After all they come from the same Boeing production line. It's like you jump into a GM Chevrolet of a Cad, manual. Both would more or less have the same stick-shift.

Anyway, Good Luck.

Well, so far I can realize the FMC from MD-11 has a complete different procedure than the others birds. 777 and 747 are very close to the same procedure but MD-11 long far away to be similar. That's is what I see for now. Even though the MD-11 FMC looks for me more professional if not so complicated. The Pilot of MD-11 must have be an Engineer of the Sky to handle the MCDU. 747 is for kids (lol).

Patricio Valdes

6 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Hi Patricio,

I think you will get a better idea of what is happening by doing the tutorial (with the modified flight plan) and also looking at the chart.  Feel free to pause the sim as much as you want.

I suggested that you use DET2G SID as it uses the same runway, 27L, and gets you very near DVR, which is the starting point for the main route in the tutorial.

Take a look at the chart that has DET2G on it:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-92748DB5DC023EE4CBF988FA2AC5E90B/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGLL_6-5_en_2016-09-15.pdf

You will see that DET2G is particular for Runway 27L.  You can also see the way points on that SID.  On the lower part of the chart is a description in words of the path.  Try loading that exact departure into the MD-11 FMC (or any other PMDG aircraft) and compare the list of way points with what you see on the chart.  You will also notice altitude restrictions both on the chart and on the FMC way point entries.

Mike

Yeah! first I will print that Chart and attached to my printed Tutorial 1. Tonight I start with MD-11 which I feel the bird sings as real. Thanks again Mike. Your follower Patricio

Patricio Valdes

Patricio, if you have Aivlasoft's EFB, you can actually plot the Departure form 27L and the SID so you get an idea what the route looks like. I regularly use it to plan my SIDs and STARS as well as SimPlatesX Ultra to check the charts.