Sign in to follow this  
trisho0

PMDG MD-11 (FS2004) Questions

2 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

You can tune the frequency that's in FS9 manually -- in other words you can type it in directly yourself.  Look on the FS9 Map, which if I remember correctly is under the "World" tab.

I don't think it's a good idea to jump from one plane to another or give up on the tutorial because of a relatively minor problem.  You could just as easily run into an ILS tuning problem in another plane at another airport.

Mike

Mike, I appreciate so much your help but don't know how to find the fs9 Map. Don't know where is the "world" Tab neither. I don't want to give up with the MD-11 but I can skip the tutorial which looks like obsolete (lol).

Patricio Valdes

4 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

That's why my next step is watch video tutorials of MD-11 to learn the FMC programing. Then I will be able to do my own fly plan.

Some videos are good, others are not.  You would do better to use the manuals that came with the MD-11.  Look in the FMC manual under "approach."

You will likely come across another airport where the FS ILS data is out of date.  You need to learn  how to fix the problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

3 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Some videos are good, others are not.  You would do better to use the manuals that came with the MD-11.  Look in the FMC manual under "approach."

You will likely come across another airport where the FS ILS data is out of date.  You need to learn  how to fix the problem.

Mike

Found the PMDG MD-11 FMS.PDF file and it is cool to start with. Thank you Mike.

Patricio Valdes

In FS9 press the ALT key.  You will see a menu of options across the top.  One of them is World.  Click on World and you will see Map.  If you are near LSZH you will see th Zurich airport and its nav data.

It  would be a good idea for you learn your way around FS a bit better.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

10 hours ago, Mike777 said:

t  would be a good idea for you learn your way around FS a bit better.

A sane and wise suggestion.

I am doing my own MD-11 flight plan EKAH rwy28R / EKCH rwy ILS04L as I did with 747 V3 but still the ILS Untunable message from FMC. From 747 FMC NAV/RAD key provides me the heading info to dial on the FCP HDG window. I don't have to enter frequency as I do with Level-D. I can do Autoland with 747, 777 and Level-D. Is there a way from MD-11 FMC to find the Course info to dial on the HDG window? 

Patricio Valdes

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

A sane and wise suggestion.

Sure, that's I am doing and exploring inside the sim too.

Patricio Valdes

22 hours ago, vc10man said:

That's why it is nested under Legacy Products. I do agree it is a lovely aircraft and I regularly fly it, but as Mike has pointed out, if you are using the MD-11 in FS2004, then the PMDG Tutorial you are attempting to use may be using FS2004 default scenery, and your recent Airac Cycle which you will have in MD-11's FMC, will logically not be able to auto-tune to an older airport's (LSZH) navaids.

What AIRAC do you have that let you do the tutorial going smooth?

Patricio Valdes

26 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

What AIRAC do you have that let you do the tutorial going smooth?

I did the Tutorial when I never subscribed or used an Airac cycle, more than 10 years ago when I was running FS2004, which I left behind years ago.

Much as I love this aircraft in the real-world, in the sim-world, it is now fallen behind the likes of the latest PMDG aircraft, and one or two other developers, so rarely now fly it as much. If I did not have the FS2Crew add-on for it, I doubt I'd fly it.

Just for you, I am currently doing a flight from WADD to YSSY, which I flew in real-life in 1995. Unlike you, I use a flight planner, which programs the FMS for my routing. Once at CL, I then program the Arrival STAR. And even though I am not there as yet, I can guarantee that the ILS will auto-tune the selected Runway frequency.

Night landed on Runway 34L at YSSY. Had to fetch the ILS frequency from as described by Mike loaded the NavRad page; auto-landed fine although as a routine I do not do auto-lands.

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

I did the Tutorial when I never subscribed or used an Airac cycle, more than 10 years ago when I was running FS2004, which I left behind years ago.

Much as I love this aircraft in the real-world, in the sim-world, it is now fallen behind the likes of the latest PMDG aircraft, and one or two other developers, so rarely now fly it as much. If I did not have the FS2Crew add-on for it, I doubt I'd fly it.

Just for you, I am currently doing a flight from WADD to YSSY, which I flew in real-life in 1995. Unlike you, I use a flight planner, which programs the FMS for my routing. Once at CL, I then program the Arrival STAR. And even though I am not there as yet, I can guarantee that the ILS will auto-tune the selected Runway frequency.

WOW! so you are real Pilot. That's why you know and really enjoy the sim. You must have many hours flight then.

From fs9 the Airport WADD doesn't exist (LOL). FSX has the WADD and I tried the MD-11 to see how things go on. I found from STAR for the YSSY airport I have ILS34LY and ILS34LZ so, which one to pick, either one?

Patricio Valdes

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Night landed on Runway 34L at YSSY. Had to fetch the ILS frequency from as described by Mike loaded the NavRad page; auto-landed fine although as a routine I do not do auto-lands.

From 747 FMC NAV/RAD gives me the course to enter on the FCP HDG window. I don't see that info from MD-11 or where to get it from? Tutorial says enter 272 in HDG window but it doesn't tell me from where is such info.

You don't do autolands so, I think manual landing is more enjoyable or you may have another reason. Eventually I can try landing in manual but I need to learn the MD-11 FMC programming first.

Patricio Valdes

17 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

enter 272 in HDG window but it doesn't tell me from where is such info.

FS9>World>Map or an approach chart for that runway

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

7 hours ago, trisho0 said:

real Pilot.

Good god, no. An emphatic no. What I meant was an airline carried me on that route I replicated for you.

Yes, FS2004 does not have WADD. You'll find a default on in FSX, but I use commercial airport add-ons(BDOAviation) to give me realism, and I opted for ILS34LY. That is what Mike tried to explain to you that you need to fetch that Rwy ILS frequency. It is 110.10 and 335 degrees course, and Mike has already explained in detail how to fetch that data.

I used to do auto-lands in the beginning but manual landings are far more challenging, realistic, and enjoyable.

17 hours ago, vc10man said:

Just for you, I am currently doing a flight from WADD to YSSY, which I flew in real-life in 1995.

Here anyone thinks you are real Pilot

Patricio Valdes