Sign in to follow this  
trisho0

PMDG MD-11 (FS2004) Questions

2 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Here anyone thinks you are real Pilot

Yeah, my fault really. I did not clarify a tad better.

7 hours ago, vc10man said:

Good god, no. An emphatic no. What I meant was an airline carried me on that route I replicated for you.

Yes, FS2004 does not have WADD. You'll find a default on in FSX, but I use commercial airport add-ons(BDOAviation) to give me realism, and I opted for ILS34LY. That is what Mike tried to explain to you that you need to fetch that Rwy ILS frequency. It is 110.10 and 335 degrees course, and Mike has already explained in detail how to fetch that data.

I used to do auto-lands in the beginning but manual landings are far more challenging, realistic, and enjoyable.

I thought you were a Pilot but I bet you can handle the aircraft in real if an emergency occurs. OK I will use that F/C info to fly in FSX tonight. I didn't understand what Mike said about fetching the runway but I think he said to take a look at the fs9/World/Map. I took a look at there but didn't find the info because too far from the Arrival rwy. But I will double check on that again.

Patricio Valdes

14 hours ago, Mike777 said:

FS9>World>Map or an approach chart for that runway

The Approach Chart will tell me then. Thanks Mike. While in ground before take-off I found that I can enter STAR as I do with 747 and 777.

Patricio Valdes

6 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

but I bet you can handle the aircraft in real if an emergency occurs

I never ever want to be in that sitaution, God forbid. And it is not a scenario I ever want to think of even for a micro-second., aside from the fact that these days there are enough aircrew up front to take care of such a situation, if it ever arose.

13 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

fs9/World/Map

That information is there as soon as you load an aircraft be it in F2004 or FSX.

13 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

too far from the Arrival rwy.

Makes no difference how far away you are from the Arrival airport. If, as you have stated here often, you are creating your own flighplans, you will either be saving or not saving such a flightplan in whichever sim you use. That flightpaln will show your destination/arrival airport.

6 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I never ever want to be in that sitaution, God forbid. And it is not a scenario I ever want to think of even for a micro-second., aside from the fact that these days there are enough aircrew up front to take care of such a situation, if it ever arose.

I see and would be so dangerous indeed. But in case of emergency and no one available who cares I would go if I have good experience with sim. Tonight I will fly usually short trip not longer than 100nm. Last night I flew EGLL/LSZH with 747 and because so long time flying I changed the rate from normal to 8X. Then after a while I returned to normal rate. FMC sent a message No Crz available or something alike. Found from the FMC waypoints empty (lol). I think the FSX got lost in the space. So, I will have to redo the flight again in normal rate all the way. 

Patricio Valdes

Patricio, having read your posts here, I think, Mike and I and maybe others reading these posts have kind of got a grasp of your perceptions, (about as gentle as I can couch my words)of how you view a flight simulator and real-life dynamics.

For a short flight from EGLL-LSZH you used an 6x simulation rate? Really? I'll say no more.

10 hours ago, vc10man said:

I used to do auto-lands in the beginning but manual landings are far more challenging, realistic, and enjoyable.

I almost never do autolands.  I use the ILS to set me up but then shut off the autopilot by around the Final Approach Fix (FAF).  Autolands are useful to learn the "ideal" landing though -- something to learn from.

I once had the chance to speak to an A320 pilot who told me he turns off the autopilot at some point on final and I could hear the ka-chink-ka-chink sound of its disengagement if I were sitting in first class (which I wasn't).  He explained to me that the landing runway at Charlotte NC (a runway cross-wise to the main runways no longer in use) had a little hill in it and he liked to land in the valley before it to have a smoother landing (hills not simulated in FS, AFAIK). 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

That's what I meant, Mike. Used first few auto-lands to get the feel of things. Thereafter, like in the current OOtS II, now it's all AP off once I've got LOC established.

Is that the same Charlotte, NC that FSDT have just released?

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Is that the same Charlotte, NC that FSDT have just released?

Yes, but of course this is real-world.  I was flying from Newark Liberty to Charlotte.  Looking at the charts, we landed on Runway 23.  Somehow I had the impression that that runway, which crosses 18L/36R, is now closed/disused.  But I still see approaches for it.

Not as exciting as WADD to Sydney!

Lately I've been favoring RNAV approaches where the final approach is always visual.  They're available even where there is also an ILS approach.

I sometimes use accelerated cruise on long-hauls, but not more than 4X -- flew San Diego to London Heathrow and back (a real world 777-300ER British Airways flight) a few days ago.  It is really possible for a heavily loaded 777-300ER to take off from San Diego!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Yes, but of course this is real-world

I did not expect it to be any different. You were on that A320 flight. All I wanted to know for a sim's sake, whether the FSDT latest release was that same airport, as their airports are fairly reflective of real-world airports.

WADD(Bali) to Sydney on Garuda was quite a frightener as we hit severe turbulence and at one stage passengers were screaming as we plummeted up and down.

I've been thinking of trying RNAV approaches. Need to explore that.

Me too, never ,ore than 4x, and only on 10-hour+ flights.

KSAN-EGLL in a heavily loaded BA 773? Wow! That aircraft never ceases to amaze. I may be wrong, but I can see it easily outnumbering the ubiquitous 747 in the numbers sold. I have flown on the Emirates 777-200 and 300ER many a time, including Dubai-Sydney, but mainly EGCC-OMDB.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW272/history/20170605/0340Z/KSAN/EGLL

Also flown apparently by their 200ERs.  BAW 272, other direction BAW273. 

22 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I've been thinking of trying RNAV approaches. Need to explore that.

The usual approach runway to KSAN, is runway 27.  It's localizer, RNAV or pure visual.  So all approaches are ultimately visual.  There is no glideslope, probably because the descent, which goes near downtown San Diego, is not a continual one.  I landed there many times in the 1970s as my parents retired there -- typically in a 727.  I was blissfully unaware of the increased difficulty of the approach.

I can land OK but still not as comfortable as with approaches that offer a GS indicator (even though I'm hand flying).  In RNAV there is still a GS-like pip on the PFD that shows the calculated VNAV path.  But probably once passing the FAF it's better to rely on the PAPI lights if available.

WADD(Bali) to Sydney on Garuda was quite a frightener as we hit severe turbulence and at one stage passengers were screaming as we plummeted up and down.

That does not sound pleasant!  I've experienced some bumpy flights, and one sudden drop at cruise altitude, but nothing that severe.  It's one thing to know in your mind that the wings are not going to fall off, another thing to really believe it!

whether the FSDT latest release was that same airport, as their airports are fairly reflective of real-world airports.

Yep, that's the same one.  It's a hub for American (as it was for US Airways, now merged into American).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

1 hour ago, Mike777 said:

That does not sound pleasant!  I've experienced some bumpy flights, and one sudden drop at cruise altitude, but nothing that severe.  It's one thing to know in your mind that the wings are not going to fall off, another thing to really believe it!

In fact, as a BA engineer at the time, an Australian woman sat next to me gripped my forearm and asked was I not frightened, and when calmly told her , no I wasn't as we were belted up, and Boeing had made the MD-11s to withstand these kind of turbulences----and over the China Sea, its prevalent---so the wings would not snap even though there was a great deal of flexing, she calmed down a bit.

1 hour ago, Mike777 said:

US Airways

I'm going to miss flying their A330s from EGCC. Maybe it is the commercial aviation market in the States, but I miss airlines like TWA, Eastern, Pan-Am, National, Piedmont, PSA, etc, etc that have gone to the slammers.

7 hours ago, vc10man said:

Patricio, having read your posts here, I think, Mike and I and maybe others reading these posts have kind of got a grasp of your perceptions, (about as gentle as I can couch my words)of how you view a flight simulator and real-life dynamics.

For a short flight from EGLL-LSZH you used an 6x simulation rate? Really? I'll say no more.

I don't know what you mean about grasp of perceptions..... never mind.

Yes I flew momentarily at simulation rate of 8X and not a success with 747 as explained before. I think at 8X the FSX gets tired (lol). Now, I flew again but at 4X and changed back to normal rate just before BLM waypoint. Then all went fine and I saw the approach runway 14 but the hill was ahead and I couldn't change the Altitude on time. Also, LOC didn't engage. I know the frequency 111.75 course 135 is what the 747 FMC NAV/RAD showed. I will fly the MD-11 later to find out the same flight plan. I want to see what happen with MD-11 so I can continue with the tutorial 1.

Patricio Valdes

19 hours ago, trisho0 said:

....and I saw the approach runway 14 but the hill was ahead and I couldn't change the Altitude on time....

So you flew straight into the hill? Could you not have disconnected the autothrottle and autopilot and then pull back on the yoke? You know, actually fly the aeroplane? My apologies if you did actually take control, but it was too late.

The late, retired, American Airlines Captain, Warren Vandeburgh did a series of lectures which you can find on youtube, even as a non-pilot I found them very interesting.

One of the things he used to do during the lectures was "Click-Click", "Click-Click" as he mimed disconnecting the autopilot and autothrottle on a real airliner. He was implying that the pilots should not forget the basics, especially if you've got visual on a runway - don't go head-down in the cockpit and start typing away or punching buttons - use the physical flying controls.

Cheers.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)