Sign in to follow this  
MehdiAli

Positive and Negative points on V4

To be honest, I think the jump to 64bit alone is enough to justify the 60 quid price tag. Actually, OOMs were never really a problem for me, but that was because I always kept my sliders at a reasonable level. Now I can push them to the right a lot more. The added bonus of transferring more of a workload onto the GPU and less on the CPU is also a deal clincher for me. And knowing that most of my favourite add ons are going to be compatible completes the package. 

Having said that, I'm allowing myself a bit of a transition period, until my add ons are updated with new installers. I'm not rushing out to buy it just yet, but I will.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

64-bit is the biggest positive (so far) and the reason that I switched to XP11 for the past 6 months or so (uninstalled v3 with the intention of staying with XP).    But, I missed decent traffic, changing seasons and other things that P3D has and now I'm back.  The biggest negative is that it looks pretty much the same as FSX, appears to have the same ATC and other quirks that FSX had many years ago.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

6 hours ago, swiesma said:

Well.... LM delievers what people demanded for years. And yet I see whining in almost every thread "how bad v4 is".

LMAO

Yep thats what i said, its what the community has been wanting for such a long time! Yes we dont see all that other stuff but the first thing i heard that the community wanted as 64bit.. 

5 hours ago, EGLD said:

indeed, and the videos being posted of v4 so far are appallingly made

terrible video captures that seem to show the sim running at 10FPS, default scenery and planes, wild panning from side to side, visible neon pink start menu (dude seriously! :biggrin: )

the base platform is an incremental step up from P3D v3, and that's all that was needed. the big change was the architecture going from x86 to x64

does anyone look at fully modded v3 and say it looks terrible? does anyone look at the default v3 and say it looks amazing?

v4 can only be judged once all the big addons are ready

Not everybody can be as lucky as you, its the best i could do. .. All im trying to do is make a video with a bit of humour, regarding the release of V4. Im sorry if you felt that way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 0Artur0 said:

I suspect that X-plane devs are paying all those people making P3D v4 Youtube videos. I haven't seen that low FPS and such stutterfests since the launch of FSX back in the day. :) I'm yet to see a Youtube video of v4 depicting a smooth and visually pleasing experience.

Yeah i know ;-; not exactly fantastic and beatuiful flowingly fps lol idk what adjectives to use xD but in the following months i should be getting a MUCHHHHHHHHHH better GPU and then them oooohhhhh fps willl be flowing in xD however as i said in the video, the fps is different to when im not recording, it went up to 25 once i stopped. Sorry about that but should get better in the next month or so. ps: i dont realy like x-plane :p

I have no idea what V4 some guys are using but performance on my high end system is incredible compared to V3. Flytamps YSSY with maxed settings flying...no hesitations etc.

Massive improvements particularly cpu use and workload far more even.

Major improvements..major...

Darren Howie

7 hours ago, GSalden said:

- 64 bit

- load better devided over cpu cores

- more load on the gpu

- improved lighting

- autogen till the horizon

- improved perciperation

- most existing addons already work

- free upgrades from multiple developers

I see no negative things ....

I think this really nails it. These are huge steps forward and will benefit us in the future. LM was smart to invest in "core" elements.

I saw some complaints about the default scenery, but why would LM invest in this effort when there are so many 3P devs (Orbx, Rex etc) out that have this area locked down with improvements?

My biggest concern is performance. I would like to see more reviews etc. in this area. I plan to get P3Dv4, but I need to get a better sense of what performance is for most people running high LOD setting etc to see if I need to upgrade my PC.

My biggest concern is not the 64 bit issue, or for that matter that "it looks the same" argument. I have P3Dv3 (been with P3D since the beginning, FSX before that, FS2k4, FS2k2 -> all the way to dot's on a green/blue screen) and it works great for me, never had any OOMs on any sim I've ever had since the days of Noah.

But what I am a bit disappointed with, is that core functions aren't addressed, updated or rewritten while they were at it, and now I'm thinking primarely of flight models. If helicopter and turboprops still rely on the same flight models as yester years, I'm out.

And the same goes for scenery engine, if it's still the old limited amount of textures within a region, it's certainly a missed opportunity. But this last part is hard to judge if it is or not since the default scenery in any case would be ported over anyway, but I haven't read the SDK yet so this is of course speculations on my part, for now. But if anyone knows anything about this particular matter, feel free to chime in.

I'm on the fence as far as new sims are concerned, but I heared that FSW is going to update the flight model for at least helicopters, though in due time (what ever that means). But still, those are ambitions, which in no way is bad to have, but it still means it's not even in the horizon and we don't even know what to expect as far as fidelity goes.

So I got P3dv3 and XP11 now, and for now they cover my needs.

64 bit is not going to create a "wow" moment compared to 32.

Unless of course you manage to fly half way around the world in pmdg 777 and land and taxi to gate at orbx ybbn. That would actually be an OMG moment 😁

ZORAN

My biggest gripe is that flying low and slow is not very enticing. London looks like someone laid out a box of Fruit Loops on the ground.

ZwONa9J.jpg

vfNMwUH.jpg

Do so many buildings have courtyards in London?

And at night the Fruit Loops look like they are floating on top of lava :laugh:

icCelxJ.jpg

And it still doesn't look like the topography has been touched since they got the license from MS.

One of Scotland's most prominent mountains still doesn't exist.

ckeBW0W.jpg

Gt5qXbS.jpg

So while I appreciate the core elements being improved over 4 versions, the look of P3D is feeling more and more dated each iteration. I guess we can change that though through hundreds of dollars of addons though -- which is fine for us hobbyists, but also creates a higher barrier of entry for newcomers.

Hi there,

first thanks for sharing your opinion with us.

unfortunately i have no time to get around the new sim in town. But i IMHO v4 is again a huge step into the right direction so supporting LM with 60 USD for the work they did since 2009 starting with P3Dv1.x is a very small fee for a great piece of software development work. v2 was good and sent my FSX up on the shelf to be a piece of history, v3 was even better, v4 might become a winner. Lets see what 3PD will make out of it. Im pretty sure future updates will raise the bar again.

Most major advantage is no more 4GB VAS limit. Im pretty sure running v4 at my v3 settings will have a major impact in performance. As many people wrote in the past, when P3D(6)4 will hit the community there will be complaints all over the forums. Why need this sim needs to maxed out for god sake. It is obvious that performance will be decreased.

Nevermind im lookin forward to the near future and add on updates.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

The similarities of the P3dv4 engine to FSX are both a blessing and a curse. Yes, the default scenery, ATC, and flight models are a bit aged, as they are part of FSX's lineage. We can hope for incremental improvements perhaps in these components over time, as the LM developers seem very able and they do deliver the goods.

On the blessing side, I can't imagine that we would have much of a stable of add-ons in short order if LM had developed the new sim from scratch with all new coding. But because Prepar3dv.4 does descend from FSX, the vast selection of great add-ons we have come to know and love will likely be adapted and made available from 3rd party developers in a matter of weeks. And the release of v4 without the VAS constraints of 32-bit opens up all sorts of incredible possibilities for even more complex and beautiful scenery and aircraft models to appear on the scene. I'm thrilled.

I don't really get the argument some make that v4 is not worth the $60 investment. Heck, we have paid that and more for many individual add-ons, and this new v4 base will leverage so many enhancements in the add-ons that come to market. With 32-bit sims, there was really no point to owning much more than a mid-level video card. Now, the GPU becomes much more vital, and investments here will have a big pay-off in performance and the enjoyment of new levels of eye candy you could only dream about in the past.

The long awaited 64-bit v4 is here. Rejoice and be glad!

Rich

17 minutes ago, rlashier said:

The similarities of the P3dv4 engine to FSX are both a blessing and a curse. Yes, the default scenery, ATC, and flight models are a bit aged, as they are part of FSX's lineage. We can hope for incremental improvements perhaps in these components over time, as the LM developers seem very able and they do deliver the goods.

On the blessing side, I can't imagine that we would have much of a stable of add-ons in short order if LM had developed the new sim from scratch with all new coding. But because Prepar3dv.4 does descend from FSX, the vast selection of great add-ons we have come to know and love will likely be adapted and made available from 3rd party developers in a matter of weeks. And the release of v4 without the VAS constraints of 32-bit opens up all sorts of incredible possibilities for even more complex and beautiful scenery and aircraft models to appear on the scene. I'm thrilled.

I don't really get the argument some make that v4 is not worth the $60 investment. Heck, we have paid that and more for many individual add-ons, and this new v4 base will leverage so many enhancements in the add-ons that come to market. With 32-bit sims, there was really no point to owning much more than a mid-level video card. Now, the GPU becomes much more vital, and investments here will have a big pay-off in performance and the enjoyment of new levels of eye candy you could only dream about in the past.

The long awaited 64-bit v4 is here. Rejoice and be glad!

Rich

Agreed. I am

very happy with the new features. V3 was great and I am loving V4. I am very thankful for the performance increase and the 64bit possibilities :-)

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

1 hour ago, Mickeyj said:

...when P3D(6)4 will hit the community...

That is actually pretty cool title. P3D(6)4. How didn't I come up with it, damn... :senang:

4 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

One of Scotland's most prominent mountains still doesn't exist....

Daniel, can you tell me the name of this beauty ? I really want to look for it.

In my XP11. :laugh:

Btw, I could swear my London doesn't look like your London, not at all. So you using only P3D v4 vanilla ?

I did point the direction for P3D v3 ORBX in my scenery.cfg but even without it... hmm... I'm not sure.

Just now, gamer19 said:

That is actually pretty cool title. P3D(6)4. How didn't I come up with it, damn... :senang:

Daniel, can you tell me the name of this beauty ? I really want to look for it.

In my XP11. :laugh:

Btw, I could swear my London doesn't look like your London, not at all. So you using only P3D v4 vanilla ?

I did point the direction for P3D v3 ORBX in my scenery.cfg but even without it... hmm... I'm not sure.

My pleasure!

Yeah, that's the default Fruit Loop London by Lockheed Martin. Things will be better once FTX Global by ORBX is installed :)

• Upvote 1