Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

PNG Tour R2 – Return to the Highlands (UPDATE)

Folks,

Mike has asked me to take over planning for this week’s flight in PNG.  We will start from Madang (AYMD) a head east over the Bismark Sea and into the Finisterre Range where we will land at two a series of remote bush strips located in the heart of the range.  The airstrips in order are:

• Tauta (TAU)
  • Saidor (SDR)
  • Nankina (NKN)
  • Bambu (BAM)
  • Teptep (TEP)
  • Dinga (DIN)
  • Dinangat (DNA)
  • Wasu (WASU)
  • Indagen (IGN)
  • Lake Gwam (GWM)

Then we proceed to the Lae’s airport: Nadzab (AYNZ), and time permitting re-group for the final push to Tapini landing at some or all of the following fields.

• Zenag (ZEN)
  • Bulolo (BUO)
  • Garaina (GNA)
  • Erume (EME)
  • Tapini (TAP)

The total length of the route is 249nm, same aircraft as last week. 

Please review the scenery recommendations in Mike’s announcement here

Flight Plan is here.

DHC-6Hevilift.jpg

Folks,  MM brought to my attention that most of the Finisterre Range bush strips are ONLY in the PIS scenery and not all participants have those.  I propose that we use the alternative (BLACK CAT) flight plan that Mike developed which is HERE

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Jeff's design is a whole lot more fun! These Finisterre Range airstrips are beautifully placed and provide a set of enjoyable airmanship challenges. (Pilots with PIS might well fly Jeff's terrific plan at another time.) But there is something to said for our focusing on airfields that everyone has.

Note that we have specially constructed versions of Tauta (TAU) and Dinangat (DNA) by our own Nick Wood. (These quick creations are bare-bones grass fields which will be fine. They will miss the runway slopes and the eye-candy of PIS. But they do provide a sense of how the airstrip sits in the terrain.) The rest of the airfields are in FSX/P3D. Again, PIS will provide more eye-candy than default FSX/P3D.

If you don't have PIS, you can get Nick's special airstrips here. (This file is updated to include DNA.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm one of the probably few who don't have PIS installed and I don't mind flying to the airports without the eyecandy! As long as there is a runway I could land. If not I could overfly that airport, no problem.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Hope you all had a good flight yesterday.  Where did you guys finish? Am working on a plan around Tapini for next Saturday, am wondering where to start it from.

We finished at Tapini.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Nick. Special thanks for the NW-Special for DNA. Circling into that mountain-peak-surrounded field -- in swirling clouds -- was a great pleasure!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1