Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Do you like the new 3d trees?

I like them, it's cool that the leaves shake around when you fly a helo near them, but really I don't need them.  And the coloring is weird, the colors look too pastel.  I prefer the color of the original trees.  I think it's good that LM made an option for them.  Your thoughts?

Not a perfect comparison because I had to restart the sim but it's close...

helo1.jpg

helo2.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like it, I really enjoyed to fly a helicopter closed to speed trees and "literally" blow them. but speed tree is a performance killer. I would still keep the ORBX HD trees. (And IMHO they look like broccoli viewing from the high alt...so not good for IFR flying.

But speed tree is just one merit of V4. It's very cool to see now autogen, snow, rain, or objects in the environment are dynamically changed and interact with environmental conditions. I remembered in V3. The sea waves, speed trees and other autogen are just randomly "shaking", but in V4, they would change dynamically based on the wind direction, speed. Same for rains and snows. That's awesome since rain and snow are no longer textures, they will be treated like actually particles in the sim. For example, when the wind blow the rain particles it actually moves according to the force applied to it.

That is a nice touch to enhance the immersion of flying.

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

Yes they do hurt perf (to be expected of course) - I think I'll save a few config settings depending on where I'm flying.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like them, and agree the colors are a bit off. I flew close above them for a while and watched the lod changes with interest.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Interestingly enough, MS FLIGHT used speedtree's as well, and if you know anything about Speedtree, you will know they are the 3D tree company with unmatched quality/variety.

I used to imagine that one day FLIGHT might have a Japanese DLC, and we would get beautiful cherry trees around mount Fuji. :ha:

Maybe we will see that one day in P3D, instead.

nhngKd.jpg

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I like them and I feel this is just the second step with SpeedTree. The first step was their introduction in v3, so we may see more in v4.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

For me, trees don't play a big part in simming. I would instead trade it with adding few more cloud layers in AS16 or increasing the cloud draw distance. Honestly I am not in favor of integrating third party stuff in the core sim engine. You are ,then, limited to what is being offered ,in terms of functionality and performance.Instead of adding speed tree I wanted them to fix many minor issues like

• fixing the runway lights floating ,
  • sloped runway integrated in core sim,
  • better friction modeling,
  • providing smooth sky and environment transitions between different times of the day(right now the transition is abrupt),
  • increasing the animation limits,
  • dynamic lighting limits(allowing developers to determine how much is enough for their scenery),
  • fixing the cloud rotation issue(you don't feel like you are going through the clouds in IFR, feels like curtain of clouds moving away), providing rain effects.
  • Upvote 1

Well, honestly I don't so much. I don't dislike them totally but, it does not appeal me. They look somewhat 'washed-out.'  It adds realism when flying low  and it moving in the wind, but from higer distance they look too spare and pale.  I am wondering if ORBX trees will work with V-4 ? 

I think I still prefer the standard trees for the moment as this choice simply fills the forest ground textures better. 

But I also like the addition of Speedtrees generally or in the long term. Always very important is the color, contrast, hue and so on tuning so that they really match with the surrounding. (just followed a similar discussion in a forum for a golf sim). Don't know, maybe for flightsimming very low poly Speedtrees might be a choice as well to be able to handle a bigger amount of them with FPS in view. But i'm no expert, probably LM already uses not the most detailed Speedtrees for performance reasons.

Trees are important to me, along with a lot of similar visual cues, because they aid in the suspension of disbelief that allows you to, at least for a bit, imagine you are really up there, and that the things you see out the window around and below you are close enough to the real thing that your brain is not constantly sending you "error" signals.

Even the new P3D has glaring "not real" triggers like rows of nearly indistinguishable buildings stretching to infinity. All of them nearly the same height, the same shape and texture, again and again.

And again.....

Reminding you of that FSX heritage.

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

I am too interested in compatibility of ORBX Trees, anyone got any news?

Not using them, but i think it's great to have them so that they can be further developed, optimized and become part of my simulation experience someday in the future. Same applies to the fugly FS9 houses (the part in which they can be further developed).

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

6 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

I expect Orbx to replace the texture and make it look really good.

Orbx won't change the speedtrees because they are from another company. I am sure the Orbx HD trees will be available soon. I'd prefer them over speedtrees mainly because with speedtrees things look very, very sparse.