Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Question about RAM and v4

I already asked a question over at LM forums but I'll probably get answers faster here and more of them. So.. I seriously can't decide after reading about v4 on the internet if my machine is good enough. What I worry about is that I have 8GB of physical RAM and GTX 970 4GB graphics card. People are saying their RAM usage is going over these numbers and in this case if you don't have enough it will start using paging file which would result in 1 digit frame rates. I do use a lot of addons like ORBX, A2A and PMDG planes, AS16, REX,... In v3 everything worked on medium to high settings just fine. Will I make my life miserable if I switch to v4 with mentioned hardware? I know getting new graphics card (1080Ti maybe) and more RAM (32BG) is the simplest answer but sadly I don't have 1000€ laying around for that right now. I just want to know if my current setup (graphic card and RAM) would run v4 and all the addons on medium to high settings like v3 did fine in most situations or will I hit the wall pretty fast and regret my decision to switch? Thank you for the answers.

(win 10) I'm running i7 3770 non-k , 960 TI 4GB, 16 ram. Most settings mid to high (literally same as ver 3) No addons yet and am getting 45 to 60 FPS (frames unlimited) in the Carenado Beechcraft.

16 ram is fine,it will even make your OS run a little crisper. I run the same in DCS, 32 and above is useful for rendering, but as of yet i've found no reason for more. I like the move to 64 bit very much.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

My setup is:

Gtx 1080

32 gb ddr4

I have all s scenery and shadow sliders full right 4x sssa in game and 4k resolution.

At fly tempa eham hi-res textures with default airplane  3 gb ram is used by p3d and 5.2 gb vram of my graphicscard.  With locked 30 fps i have 70-80 gpu utilization.

If the pmdg 747 will be released Tomorrow i can give you an update regarding ram and vram ussage

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

7 minutes ago, 331BK said:

At fly tempa eham hi-res textures with default airplane  3 gb ram is used by p3d and 5.2 gb vram of my graphicscard.  With locked 30 fps i have 70-80 gpu utilization.

If the pmdg 747 will be released Tomorrow i can give you an update regarding ram and vram ussage

Only 3GB of physical RAM? What wore those people reporting over 8GB used doing than? OK, that's good news.
But my GTX970 only has 4GB of VRAM.. what would happen in this situation in my case (when you were using 5.2)?

If you can report what happens with RAM when 747 is released it would be great, thanks!

3 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

I seriously can't decide after reading about v4 on the internet if my machine is good enough.

There is a 60 day trial period, just try it and see if your machine can handle it.

The OP asked if this would run with 8GB Ram, haven't seen and answer to that question yet. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The OP asked if this would run with 8GB Ram, haven't seen and answer to that question yet. 

Yeah what in the world has to happen to get a direct answer on these forums. Agree with you on this one.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I have 16gb of ram and I can assure you, everything runs just fine. 

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay