volkerjacob

P3D V3 not recognizing Scenery not registered at scenery.cfg

Hello, 

Today I installed new FSDT KCLT scenery. The installer moved all Flightbeam and FSDT scenery into a new created  AddOn folder and registered all this scenery via the new xml method. Makerunways.exe is now not able to read those scenery and RAAS did not work  correct at all affected airports.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'll bring this to Pete Dowson's attention since he makes Make Runways.

Cheers,

Pete is already aware Bryan and has a post on his forum.

It will take time before he gets to update makerwys looking at the additional paths.

Yup, I just spoke to Pete too.

Give him a week or so to update to update Make Runways to account for FSDT's new system.

2 hours ago, volkerjacob said:

Hello, 

Today I installed new FSDT KCLT scenery. The installer moved all Flightbeam and FSDT scenery into a new created  AddOn folder and registered all this scenery via the new xml method. Makerunways.exe is now not able to read those scenery and RAAS did not work  correct at all affected airports.

I personally don't see the need to make the migration to any P3Dv3 FSDT file to the new structure, since once installed P3Dv4 will completely replace v3, let's say in some months after all different addons are updated. For me the important thing will be to install the FSDT addons into the new structure using P3Dv4.

Anyway, everybody is free to do whatever they want.

Cheers and good luck, Ed

If you apply any FSDT or current Flightbeam update then the add-on manager WILL migrate to the new structure in P3Dv3 Ed.

You can't prevent the migration!

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

I personally don't see the need to make the migration to any P3Dv3 FSDT file to the new structure, since once installed P3Dv4 will completely replace v3, let's say in some months after all different addons are updated. For me the important thing will be to install the FSDT addons into the new structure using P3Dv4.

Anyway, everybody is free to do whatever they want.

Cheers and good luck, Ed

3 hours ago, srcooke said:

If you apply any FSDT or current Flightbeam update then the add-on manager WILL migrate to the new structure in P3Dv3 Ed.

Sure it will, but only the scenery/product you select to migrate. If you install a new FSDT product I assume you're right and you will have your new product migrated to the new structure, but as an option you can select or not to migrate as well the rest of the FSDT products you may have installed before (older ones). That is what I was referring to in my original post.

45 minutes ago, volkerjacob said:

You can't prevent the migration!

Cheers, Ed

6 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Sure it will, but only the scenery/product you select to migrate.

Cheers, Ed

You're wrong Ed. You would think that but that is not the case. I went to put GSX into v4 and it moved all my FlightBeam scenery into v4 and changed the file structure in v3. As stated prior, you cant prevent the migration if you attempt to add any Addon Manager scenery into v4 without removing them in v3 first. You can prevent the file structure change in v3 if you dont select it during the install but the migration you can not.

Worst is how the folder uses a xml file as a place holder in the My Documents folder and redirects to the Addon Manager as in doing it that, prevents the users form moving the scenery in the addon scenery list up or down and you can not deselect it or delete it like you normally can.

1 hour ago, Ident said:

Worst is how the folder uses a xml file as a place holder in the My Documents folder and redirects to the Addon Manager as in doing it that, prevents the users form moving the scenery in the addon scenery list up or down and you can not deselect it or delete it like you normally can.

I'm sorry, I was probably confused with all that reading at the different forums. I really supposed it was your choice. I'm away from my main sim PC now (out of town), so I could not test myself, but I do believe in what you're saying as well as others too.

I understand the benefits of doing things this way (simpler installation, mainly for those who use multiple sims, and less probability of corrupting configuration files, like the scenery.cfg file in this case, for instance), but I don't really understand how they (FSDT) did not detect the restrictions on the capability of users to edit the scenery library during its testing period. As for myself, until the smoke clears out, I will refrain from installing any update or any new FSDT scenery/product on any of P3Dv3 or v4.

Cheers, Ed

My understanding is that restriction is a LM issue in code and not addon developers. But that is unconfirmed only sourced from a fellow Orbx forum member. That might then be something that can be resolved in a future patch from LM.