Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

Will V4 benefit from the new I9 18 core processors

Intel just announced a new line of CPU with up to 18 cores. I think I read that Rob said version 4 was using all the cores in his CPU. Maybe version 4 really improved the multi thread usage. If so, these new chips will really be good for simmimg.

At 2000$ USD a pop?  I have no idea, may be Rob A. with his inside line to LM?  But seriously if the current code is not good enough with 4 cores, throwing more cores at it won't do anything at all.

• Upvote 4

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Yeah...May be you could run AI, road traffic, flight model, weather, chaseplane etc on separate cores ...

Perhaps a bit pricey for the i9 18 core, but if P3d v4 truly utilizes multi-core as the O.P. proposes even the more modest CPU sporting more than 4 physical cores will be more useful.

I actually have it (P3d v4)  installed, but until all the add-ons that I use are ported over, my rig's performance with the vanilla install is promising ... nothing more.

Edited by Harold_Finch
clarify that P3D v4 was installed not i9 18 core CPU

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

I've got a 10/20 core i7 6950x - it does use the extra cores, but the bottleneck is still the thread on Core 0 which is always at 100%, while the others are much less loaded. Unfortunately, Core 0 isn't always the fastest core either. There needs to be a way to specify which Core this main thread should run on.

1 hour ago, srce said:

There needs to be a way to specify which Core this main thread should run on

You might try using a BAT file (Google is your friend) to launch your Sim with a specific AF, or use Process Laso.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am sure this time AMD cpus will be good enough.  From what i read the Ryzen chips are big deal.

If I am going to spend $2000 on a cpu, I know lot of fun ways to spend that money for example in Las Vegas (non-gambling uses...lol), and save money for real flight school and get private pilot license.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 hour ago, srce said:

I've got a 10/20 core i7 6950x - it does use the extra cores, but the bottleneck is still the thread on Core 0 which is always at 100%, while the others are much less loaded. Unfortunately, Core 0 isn't always the fastest core either. There needs to be a way to specify which Core this main thread should run on.

There's the answer then.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You might try using a BAT file (Google is your friend) to launch your Sim with a specific AF, or use Process Laso.

Best wishes!

Do not use PL with P3D ! Set an AM in the P3D.cfg file .

PL can be used for all other addons. It is perfect ; I use it myself..

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

So, is this 18 actual cores, or 9 real cores and 9 virtual ones? Not that it matters to 99.99% of the members of this forum, since nobody in their right mind would pay $2000 for a CPU. Right?

RIGHT???

:blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, srce said:

There needs to be a way to specify which Core this main thread should run on.

This was done years ago using EFSA+M with one of my apps. Examples on my website forum Installation section.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

50 minutes ago, SteveW said:

This was done years ago using EFSA+M with one of my apps. Examples on my website forum Installation section.

Intel has a utility/driver Intel turbo boost max that directs app to the strongest core which the newer system identify and label in bios. You can also overclock this core more than the the others. I understand the new I9 chips will identify the top two cores.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

So, is this 18 actual cores, or 9 real cores and 9 virtual ones? Not that it matters to 99.99% of the members of this forum, since nobody in their right mind would pay $2000 for a CPU. Right?

RIGHT???

:blink:

What I read is 18 actual cores so 36 with hyper threading. Not sure size of market for it but if it gets the job done?

To understand hyperthreading it is better to think of each HT core having multiple Logical Processors (virtual cores).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

To understand hyperthreading it is better to think of each HT core having multiple Logical Processors (virtual cores).

OK...I am thinking....each HT core has multi Logical Processors (virtual cores)......still thinking....still thinking....sorry dude all I get is a headache!!:ohmy:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/