Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

How to Set NVIDEA Control Panel in X-Plane 11

This may be a dumb question but have always heard the dumb ones were the ones not asked.

I watched the X-plane set up video describing how to set the sliders to get the optimum performance from your computer system with the new X-plane 11. I might have missed it but where do we set our NVIDEA control panel settings? Do we set them to the "Default" setting for the current driver we have installed  and the "X-plane.exc" selected? Or do we make some adjustments to the GPU via this panel in addition to the internal X-plane 11 settings?

I currently have a i7 4790 with 16 Gb ram and a GTX 980 video card that has 4 GB ram. and the entire X-plane 11 on a 500 GB Samsung SSD. I am using my old 42" Sanyo LCD Tv as my monitor but would like to move up to 4K somewhere in the future.

For now I would like to just run X-plane 11 at the best possible settings and to get rid of some very small micro stutters while flying. With my current settings I generally get in the 28-35 fps with med scenery, max textures , high HDR and x4 AA with "No" AI aircraft but real wx.

Thanks and looking for your helpful tips and ideas.

Terry

I guess from the lack of response to this question about the proper settings for the Nvidiia control panel as it pertains to  X-plane 11, it must have no effect on the simulators operation.

Thanks for taking the time to view this thread.

Terry

With HDR enabled, there is no need to set anything in NCP, from the eye-candy stand point, the only setting I bother with is locking frames to 1/2 of my monitor's refresh which in my case is 30, this yields smooth transition when camera panning or turning aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

42 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

With HDR enabled, there is no need to set anything in NCP, from the eye-candy stand point, the only setting I bother with is locking frames to 1/2 of my monitor's refresh which in my case is 30, this yields smooth transition when camera panning or turning aircraft.

Carlos, but do you have VSync ticked in XP11 graphics menu ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Carlos, but do you have VSync ticked in XP11 graphics menu ?

No Jose, no need to, my system never yields frames higher then 60 with current rendering settings.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Traditionally, there have been 3 adjustments for X-Plane.

Maximum performance / power.

Single display perf. mode.

Threaded Opt. OFF

And of course the mentioned limit to 30fps. That only applies to people who set their X-Plane up to maintain 30fps in the first place however.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Ok, those are my only settings, less the 30fps limit - I have it unlimited and get between 30 and 48 fps... Good enough for me. HDR on, which was never an acceptable choice in XP10 because of the bigger hit in fps.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My Preferred Settings:

X-Plane 11

** Monitor Technology: G-SYNC
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
Texture filtering - Quality: High Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On
Threaded optimisation: On  (OFF on my System delivers poor performance, YMMV.)
Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

Mike

Thanks Guys,

The last few responses were what I was searching for. Still looks like it all depends on your system. Wish the LR lady would do a second video talking about this subject. Other than making things look nice in the simulator,  what does HDR have to do with the Nvidia control panel? I do not remember seeing it as one of the settings there.

Finally, who makes the command decisions to set the green default icon in the Nvidia control panel for the X-plane .exc? Is it someone from LR or from Nviidia? When I see them, I think that LR must have given their blessing/ recommendation to use this setting.

Again thanks to all that have taken the time to respond.

Terry 

X-Plane 11 defaults to only 4x Anisotropic filtering so I manually force it to 16X using the control panel. Other than that, there's really no need to touch anything, but you can play around with the Power Saving, Threaded Optimization and other settings and see whether they make any difference in your particular case.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I have a Samsung 4k screen, its given me problems as to the right settings for the display, the fms wont show up on the Diamond twin, the prop on the default Cessna looks like there is a chunk missing and it expands and contracts as it turns. I am still juggling with the nvidia settings and have turned off the vsync as laminar suggested and nothing works, so its back to the drawing board on this one, but if you can get the rest working, the scenery looks awesome on a low level vfr flight, so much so I have a version for uk vfr and another for world flying on my pc with 10tb of space to hold it all in.