Sign in to follow this  
Guest johng

Location of scenery files?

Guest johng

Is there any problem with having scenery files located on a different drive to the one on which the FS9 folder is located? Should the "cache this scenery" box be ticked in the scenery library?

Guest johng

Thanks for the reply. My "c" drive is getting rather full so I will experiment using the external harddrive.

Scenery can be installed anywhere, including a CD or DVD, or network drive. For these the cache is used to reduce latency. Some say it's better to have the scenery on a different drive than FS9. I think you might need to experiment with your external drive, and see how things go without using the cache first.scott s..

Guest johng

So far the sceneries I have transferred to the external drive don't seem to be creating any problems. Is it preferable to keep all sceneries(including landclass and mesh) grouped in geographical areas?

You've received very good replies already. I just need to add that you should never cache scenery loaded from a HD. The Cache was orginally meant for partial installs of MSFS where some of the scenery had to be loaded from the program CD's. Scenery that was called often could be cached from the slower CD onto the faster HD. Many confused this feature with a memory cache and even the system cache, but it was an internal feature to MSFS specifically for the purpose I describe. In short, if you load scenery from any Hard Drive, don't cache it. -JohnEdit:Here is a link which, among other things, discusses scenery caching. It was a also a feature in FS2000 and FS2002:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...performance.asp

If you did a full install, MSFS won't be using the cache for default scenery. It could be for add-on scenery if you ever chose the option. A telltale sign is within the scenery.cfg--if you see a line there "Remote=" followed by a path pointing to a scenery folder, that scenery is cached. Take note of the scenery area, then access the menu from within MSFS and turn off caching for the area(s) you might have found there.-John

Guest johng

I'm amazed at the speed of the responses and thanks to all. I have never ticked the "cache" box and don't propose to use it. Is is preferable to group all types of sceneries that I am proposing to transfer into their geographical areas or doesn't it matter if they are randomly installed?