Sign in to follow this  
simtom

ENVTEX or REX4 w/ Soft Clouds?

This was also posted in the general Prepar3D forum.

Hello,

I will be upgrading from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I was wondering which texture replacement program I should buy.

There is currently a sale going on at simMarket for various products, including REX4 (ENVTEX is unfortunately not included).

The sale price for REX4 is €15,85 and ENVTEX costs €21.

I've read from reviews that they both do similar things but ENVTEX is better integrated with AS16 and ASCA.

So what would you recommend? Going with REX now it's on sale or spend to extra money and go with ENVTEX?

Thanks!

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

REX is going to release a new product called Skyforce soon (well, "soon" for 2 years now if memory serves me right). I would not buy REX4 right now.

REX 4 is a good product as such, however there are two points which I found disturbing. (i) The upgrade policies with numerous Program entries for the core program, softclouds (which I bought later and had to integrate), numerous upgrades etc. (ii) I found the UI with the user themes and all that stuff slightly confusing, but maybe it's just me.

I am working with ENVTEX and ASCA at present and am really content with them. ENVTEX is about to release a Service pack making it Prepar3d4 compatible. ASCA will follow soon (or did already).

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hello Michael,

I see, thank you for the extra information.

Also, ENVTEX is still being updated and a newer product then REX4, right?

Do they both offer equal textures or is that a matter of personal preference?

9 minutes ago, simtom said:

Do they both offer equal textures or is that a matter of personal preference?

They offer similar textures. To echo PMB, the UI for Envtex is much easier to work with.

For the price, I feel Envtex is a better value. 

5 minutes ago, SReese said:

They offer similar textures. To echo PMB, the UI for Envtex is much easier to work with.

For the price, I feel Envtex is a better value. 

So even if REX4 is cheaper now with the sale, you would still go with ENVTEX (the latter does have a better integration with ASCA I hear)?

I would. I picked up Envtex for that reason (I use AS16+ASCA and PTA. I'm excited to try out the next PTAbsolute offering before I completely bid v3 goodbye) The other argument for Envtex has been stated- It's still in active development. I can't say the same about REX4 which will likely be retired once Skyforce goes live. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, I think I'll go with ENVTEX then.

Is Skyforce the successor of REX4?

And PTAbsolute is the next version of PTA? I taught he would't update it for P3D v4?

3 minutes ago, simtom said:

Sort of, yes, supposedly, with more features like dynamic adaptation of textures to weather conditions. But as always, normal mortals don't know and those knowing are not allowed to tell.

FSCON might shed a bit light onto it.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Longest running software rumors...

4. DTG FSW

3. P3d 64 bit

2. REX Skyforce

1. Aerosoft CRJ 700/900

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I get what you're trying to show here ;) 

I'll go with ENVTEX then.

One more question: should I buy Soft Clouds seperately or are the cloud textures of ENVTEX equally as good?

Hi...

I'm an AS16 + ASCA + ENVTEX guy... I use ASCA cloud textures (low resolution - never been a fan if the high resolution clouds) - looks pretty good to me...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hello Scott,

I just bought that exact combo. Now I just need to buy P3D v4 haha :) 

2 hours ago, simtom said:

Ok, I think I'll go with ENVTEX then.

And PTAbsolute is the next version of PTA? I taught he would't update it for P3D v4?

PTAbsolute is not a successor to PTA.  It utilizes the PTA tool as it is a customized setting that was done by the same guys that developed ENVTEX so that can only be used in V3.  On a similar note I also use Envtex along with AS16/ASCA in V3 and have been very happy with that combo.  Skyforce certainly looks interesting but they aren't saying much about it over at Rex.  It was supposed to be out late last summer if that tells you anything....:huh:

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Yeah, after looking at their site I know understand what PTAbsolute does. Too bad it won't work in v4 (though I've never owned v3, so I don't really know what it looked like).

If you look at their multiplayer product it's the same story. In development for over 7 years now (being pushed back by focusing on other products).

I'm looking forward to the 1.1.0 release of ENVTEX. It looks like you'll get more customization options.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.