Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Improve the sensation of speed.

Improve the sensation of speed.Hi, everyone.I see that there are some people that would like to get a better speed feedback / feel. Because the screens are small, lack of peripheral vision, the block size of the scenery ahead and other factors, this is difficult to achieve.Some things that I do to improve that sensation / feel, is to use the VC mode, with .5-.7 forward zoom rate and the panel setup to see the ground on the left / pilot side. The sensation of speed, of head on objects / straight ahead, is difficult to perceive in real life also. For this reason we try to get the students / pilots to look to the side, down the runway, short side again etc.Another thing you can do is to use the Mini Panel during landing, or when you want to get the feel of speed.I created my own model for training purposes and in the model I included a modified Mini panel, see the partial

Guest allcott

This may work for some folks, but there's no `one size fits all` agreement on the best zoom settings - decrease the zoom (zoonm out) and you risk slowing the fps and increasing the stutters. Zoom may not be the answer, especially when the VC offers the separate `move eyepoint` command which will achieve much the same thing without fisheye or telephoto effects.TrackIR provides a much better sensation of speed. A Fresnel lens can provide a much better sensation of speed. A second monitor providing a side view can provide a much better sensation of speed.There are plenty of alternatives to permanently altering the zoom properties, but this might be a benefit to some.Allcott

Hi.By no means is this a fix. This is just something that people can do, at this time, to improve that feel. I tried the Fresnel lenses but I did not get much of increase in speed perception, it increased the depth perception slightly. I also tried a Projector and the 3D glasses with the Nvidia drivers and the same lack of improvement in speed sensation. I did not try TrackIR but it would seem that unless you can gain some peripheral vision, which is mostly responsible for the sensation of movement, I would not expect a great improvement, at least theoretically. TV

I like it. Will try it soon. I wish the LDS767 had more guages in this view. I like to fly like this sometimes but some guages are missing that I want to see.JimCYWG

Everyone will surely not agree, but if you have ActiveCamera try this:I like to use the "scenery padlock feature" and click a spot on the ground. The head movement will follow the ground in that place you picked.You can even use a straight ahead point on the runway (say toward the end of the runway when landing) this has made some pretty neat landing experiences for me as well as sight seeing around big cities (choose a building and click on an area right at the bottom of the building).Zoom factor doesn't matter too much, and sense of movement is greatly improved for me since I did this!

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Interesting idea. I'm curious though about this line in the panel.cfg:child_3d=1What does that do? Never seen it before.