Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

FSW RAM Requirements??

I have an i5 4690K & 8 GB of RAM, plus  the Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU.

I purchased FSW on Day 1 & had it running fine until the last couple of days when it has started to freeze after about 5 minutes of air time.

Checking some of the data showed that RAM use was around 86% when it freezes, & then has to be exited.

Is 8 GB Ram sufficient for FSW?

T45

I've been having some freezing too. I think the last patch might have broken something.

On 2. 6. 2017 at 2:04 AM, Treetops45 said:

Checking some of the data showed that RAM use was around 86% when it freezes, & then has to be exited.

Is 8 GB Ram sufficient for FSW?

When it crash, look at windows application log for log report, there will ne crashing module and offset and exact reason of crash, so you can make small investigation and it will tell you if it is due to low RAM or not. Anyway. 8GB is usually fine, but if you run more background apps and have swap disabled, it can be real problem.

Runs fine on one of my computers with 8Gb of DDR3 memory, no problems whatsoever. Never had FSW freeze up or crash at all, in fact, even before they have got around to optimising it properly, I've been impressed with how it runs on even a crappy computer which is well below the recommended spec for it.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Running it just fine on 8 GB here as well.

Bert

33 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

8GB is usually fine, but if you run more background apps and have swap disabled, it can be real problem.

Having swap disabled is asking for trouble.. hopefully nobody is doing that.. :huh:

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Having swap disabled is asking for trouble.. hopefully nobody is doing that.. :huh:

Sorry Bert I have swap disabled permanently from year 2007/8 when my computer reach 4GB RAM for first time. And it is confirmed with use of SSD disks as SWAP introduce more writes to disk which are not needed.

SWAP just extend your memory, there is no problem with incrase your memory by more sticks or use higher capacity sticks. I really do not see reason for enabled SWAP when you have enough psychical memory

Your choice, with 24GB RAM, you can probably afford it - as I said:  For the average user: Asking for trouble..

• Upvote 1

Bert

18 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Your choice, with 24GB RAM, you can probably afford it - as I said:  For the average user: Asking for trouble..

With 8GB RAM those days, yes :) But I do not recomend less than 16GB for any new computer. For me, just running windows, web browser and some bacground apps - steam/cloud drive, etc and I easily reach 5-6GB RAM usage before I will start sim. FSW uses around 6GB on my PC, XP11 push to 12-16GB, P3Dv4 goes up to 12GB with texture size exp=10

00033167.jpg