Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

Installing add ons in V4

14 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Kevin,

NM, I just saw your thread on the LM support forum. What you are doing wrong is not explicitly referencing the ..\scenery subfolder in the path statement in your add-on.xml file.  The add-on content method is not like adding an item directly to scenery.cfg, where P3d always assumed that the target has a scenery subfolder. For example in add-on.xml:

g:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\FsDreamTeam\KCLT\Scenery

Now if the add-on also has a texture file, it would be referenced with the \texture subfolder and so on.

Jay

I tried referencing the scenery subfolder in the add-on.xml ...guess what? no joy! :p

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

My guess is that you've got some type of subtle typo somewhere in either one or both of the files. This new add-on method can be very frustrating until you get the hang of it and all the options. Let's go back to Plan A and PM me the  most recent versions of your two files as attachments, plus where they are installed.

Don't want to spoil discussion but does the old fashioned method of using dll.xml and exe.xml still work?

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

What you are doing wrong is not explicitly referencing the ..\scenery subfolder in the path statement in your add-on.xml file. 

g:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\FsDreamTeam\KCLT\Scenery

Now if the add-on also has a texture file, it would be referenced with the \texture subfolder and so on.

Don't think that's right (but I'm a P3D newbie), I'm having a blast trying out all the sceneries I have installed in FSX by just writing a short xml file, and I've always referenced the folder containing the scenery and texture directories .

I love this system btw.  I've written a small eulogy over on the AI Ships thread :)

Anybody tried adding AS EGLL to v4? Seeing missing taxiway/runway surfaces although the terrain folder is below the airport in the library.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

My guess is that you've got some type of subtle typo somewhere in either one or both of the files. This new add-on method can be very frustrating until you get the hang of it and all the options. Let's go back to Plan A and PM me the  most recent versions of your two files as attachments, plus where they are installed.

Thanks Jay but I've got no idea how to use these new damn forums with attachments.  When I create a PM there's an option to "insert existing attachment" but that brings up an empty list.  I've no idea how to add a file to it :(  Bad week for me this isn't it! :p

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

With V3 I have my addons devided over 3 SSD's ( total 1200 Gb ) so how am I going to do it now with V4 ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Where's Estonia Migration Tool when you need them?  I hoping they will become available with an update to V-4

1 minute ago, joemiller said:

Where's Estonia Migration Tool when you need them?  I hoping they will become available with an update to V-4

You cant use a migration tool to just easily convert from 32 to 64 bit. It is much, much deeper than that. The Estonia tool changed certain FSX paths and structures to work with P3D, often causing errors and corruptions in the process. Converting to 64 bit is a whole nother animal - for example, even Microsoft don't support upgrading from a 32 to a 64 bit Windows. Clean install or nothing. XML gauges may work fine, and be able to be converted using a migration tool, but and .dll, .exe or other executable and dll code will need to be modified and recompiled by the developer.

Think of it this way - can you think of any products that could, for example, "migrate" Microsoft Office 2000 to a 64-bit structure? No. Not gonna happen. Much like a migration tool for 32 > 64 bit FSX / P3D addons.

12 minutes ago, 77west said:

You cant use a migration tool to just easily convert from 32 to 64 bit. It is much, much deeper than that. The Estonia tool changed certain FSX paths and structures to work with P3D, often causing errors and corruptions in the process. Converting to 64 bit is a whole nother animal - for example, even Microsoft don't support upgrading from a 32 to a 64 bit Windows. Clean install or nothing. XML gauges may work fine, and be able to be converted using a migration tool, but and .dll, .exe or other executable and dll code will need to be modified and recompiled by the developer.

Think of it this way - can you think of any products that could, for example, "migrate" Microsoft Office 2000 to a 64-bit structure? No. Not gonna happen. Much like a migration tool for 32 > 64 bit FSX / P3D addons.

Interesting, Wes. I have installed just a couple of scenery to the Add-on folder within P3D V-4  and they are working fine. But, I'm sure a lot of other addons will not work, as you explained above.  I'm trying to understand what these guys have been discussing on this thread. If we were to follow those steps, could they potentially work in V-4? By creating an XML file?  Is that file created using like note-pad? Or..? Sorry, really blind on this. lol

Just now, joemiller said:

Interesting, Wes. I have installed just a couple of scenery to the Add-on folder within P3D V-4  and they are working fine. But, I'm sure a lot of other addons will not work, as you explained above.  I'm trying to understand what these guys has been discussing on this thread. If we were to follow those steps, could they potentially work in V-4?

If the addon you are installing does not use EXE, DLL or other direct interactions with P3D.exe and does not modify .cfg or .xml files in a way that breaks them, then it may indeed work. Thus, scenery is probably mostly OK, as shown by ORBX releasing most of their lineup tomorrow, with only some changes in the installer needed. Compare that to complex aircraft like PMDG, FSLabs, which will need more time due to the way they interact with the P3D.exe executable. Scenery that partly relies on some DLL and EXE may work for the most part, but not totally, which is what some people are seeing. 

16 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes it is, now if we can just get 3rd party content providers to start using it and stop doing the FSX way.  :)

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob I have a question for you regarding installing an addon in  V4.

When I install flytampa amsterdam, the autogen default.xml file becomes corrupted. I noticed I lose a lot of my autogen trees in p3d.

When I look up the default.xml file in the autogen folder I can see in the ?version 1.0 line (first line) strange asiatic symbols.

When I delete those, the autogen trees are entirely fixed again but at a cost. The problem seems to be swapped with a different one, the elevation problem. The aircraft sits "beneath" the surface. I am at odds end.

I hope you could help me out on this one.

Regards,

Peter

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

46 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

Hi Rob I have a question for you regarding installing an addon in  V4.

When I install flytampa amsterdam, the autogen default.xml file becomes corrupted. I noticed I lose a lot of my autogen trees in p3d.

When I look up the default.xml file in the autogen folder I can see in the ?version 1.0 line (first line) strange asiatic symbols.

When I delete those, the autogen trees are entirely fixed again but at a cost. The problem seems to be swapped with a different one, the elevation problem. The aircraft sits "beneath" the surface. I am at odds end.

I hope you could help me out on this one.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I know you only asked Rob but...

I copied over my EHAM from V3 and forgot to move a file which caused an elevation problem. Moved it over and everything appears normal now, no issues. The file I missed was in scenery/world/scenery and is called AFX_EHAM_flytampa_dummy.bgl

I hope this simple fix is your problem.

Kind Regards

Derek

2 minutes ago, Killieboy64 said:

Hi Peter

I know you only asked Bob but...

I copied over my EHAM from V3 and forgot to move a file which caused an elevation problem. Moved it over and everything appears normal now, no issues. The file I missed was in scenery/world/scenery and is called AFX_EHAM_flytampa_dummy.bgl

I hope this simple fix is your problem.

Kind Regards

Derek

I know Derek.

I copied the file and the elevation problem was solved, until I noticed I also missed my autogen for some strange reason. Asiatic symbols I deleted from default.xml file and those trees came back. But even with those dummy files the elevation problem came back after deleting these symbols. I do not understand why this happens at all.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

6IjldtX.png

Here, this is what is happening in V4.

Autogen is getting excluded for no reason around the airport.