Sign in to follow this  
aussiesim737

Pmdg Rain Effects P3d V4

Hi,

I wanted to know if PMDG will be looking at implementing rain effects on the windshields to their aircraft's as Lockheed completely left this out in the new version.

I do know there were limitations in previous flight simulators for them to be able to do this, is that still the case now.

John

Just now, aussiesim737 said:

I wanted to know if PMDG will be looking at implementing rain effects on the windshields to their aircraft's as Lockheed completely left this out in the new version.

Do we know for certain they have completely left this out, or is it simply that no addon has been released with raindrops yet.

I fear that such animations would really be an FPS hit. 64bit or not.

@harvester21 correct, unless! you get a great coder to develop a code for the animation that is completely game optimize for low FPS, like Mir from flightbeam!

I guess someone creative will come along and create a plugin for this. Would be a cool effect for sure. 

41 minutes ago, harvester21 said:

I fear that such animations would really be an FPS hit. 64bit or not.

The Realair Turbine Duke and the FlySimware Lear both have great fps and both have rain effects.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Glynn said:

The Realair Turbine Duke and the FlySimware Lear both have great fps and both have rain effects.

Good to know. Thanks!

Compared to what we received (x64) it seems to be something minor but deep in my heart I was hoping for VC rain effects in P3D v4. Perhaps a talented developer will be able to make it as an addon.

• Upvote 1

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

FSW created this effect brilliantly in there platform and I think most thought the same would happen for this version of P3d.  

If it was coded into P3d by the developers it would have been easy for 3rd party developers to add it into their aircrafts plus there would be consistency with all 3rd party aircraft from other developers. Because this is not the case at the moment the only way it can be done is by each developer creating the effect themselves for each aircraft they release and that if the 64 bit limitation have been increased to allow them.

John

FSW does have wonderful rain on windscreen effects but I think it is model coded and not sim coded. I have tried to put a few aircraft into FSW with mixed results but none of them would show the windscreen wind effects like the stock aircraft do. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The iFly 744v2 had rain drops in the P3D v3 VC so it can be done.  I dont care myself so much, just sayin it can be done.

spacer.png

I am a huge advocate for rain in the screen. It seems like something so fundamental in the immersion effect yet something that keeps getting overlooked. Honestly speaking as a pilot myself rain plays a big role in the challenge. There are times where you can't see anything in front of you and have to rely on your instruments as if you were in IMC so for simulators in 2017 to not have it seems counter intuitive. 

Yet I know it takes time to do all of this so I hope the great developed such as FSFX, PMDG and others take a page from FSW and JarDesign and do it. 

• Upvote 2

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Are you sure it has been left out? Perhaps you just haven't fund the UI toggle yet? LM are pretty adamant that it is one of the key new features of P3D v4. 

New 3D rain/snow system. This feature can be toggled on and off in the UI under Options – Weather (Detailed Precipitation).

6 minutes ago, Paul_Smith said:

Are you sure it has been left out? Perhaps you just haven't fund the UI toggle yet? LM are pretty adamant that it is one of the key new features of P3D v4. 

Source please, brother.

spacer.png

The new 3D rain and snow just refers to the actual rain and snow effects outside the aircraft, not on the windows.

The windshield rain effects are just animated bitmaps on those aircraft that supported them in FSX and P3D, but they also need a surface poly defined in the model to be mapped to which does add a lot of polys on curved surfaces etc.