Sign in to follow this  
997R8V10

PMDG Add-ons New Mechanism

Hey guys!

First of all, thanks to PMDG for putting in so much work and making an upgrade available for free to transfer from v3 to v4. If any beta tester or developer know, will the PMDG installers be using the new add-ons mechanism created by LM? This would involve installing the aircraft to a folder outside the main p3d folder, and then creating an add-on.xml to map all the effects, simobjects, gauges, textures, etc. I found this to be a really nice feature created by LM, and hope that PMDG adopts it!

I saw this feature with some updated scenery I installed, found files in my Documents folder. I really don't understand what it all means and hope things aren't going to get complicated for people that aren't that clued up with computers and files.

What benefits does this new system bring?

Sceneries one thing... Aircrafts another, I assume. Would be interesting to see if it's possible to do - and if so if PMDG would adopt this installation methods... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

for aircraft yes, it already have been done prior to v4 with Ants CAC Whinjeel for P3D v3.4+

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

The new system works for scenery, simobjects (aircraft/etc), and for loading standalone dlls/exes, so there shouldn't be too many add-ons that aren't capable of being installed that way.  (Only issue I can foresee is addons that rely on replacing stock files, unless LM add some sort of "override" syntax.) I've been converting as many of my old addons as possible to it, to make future reinstalls easier.

Mark Fox

Mark Fox