Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

Ortho problem, can't go home :-)

I have a file missing when downloading tile N35W98 from Bing. I have recut this tile more than a dozen  times and still missing dds file 51644_29920 BI17.dds. This causes CTD when flying around the Oklahoma City area, the crash happens at different time and in different areas not always in the same area. Can anyone give me a pointer about how to get this file, I have rerun Ortho4XP dozens of times, have tried to download from GO2 X-Plane 11 won't even start with that tile also have tried from US2, with he same result, X-Plane 11 won't start. With the Bing tile X-Plane 11 starts but may or may not CTD at anytime. So currently my flying is stuck at KSAN. :blink:

6 minutes ago, wb5okj said:

I have a file missing when downloading tile N35W98 from Bing. I have recut this tile more than a dozen  times and still missing dds file 51644_29920 BI17.dds. This causes CTD when flying around the Oklahoma City area, the crash happens at different time and in different areas not always in the same area. Can anyone give me a pointer about how to get this file, I have rerun Ortho4XP dozens of times, have tried to download from GO2 X-Plane 11 won't even start with that tile also have tried from US2, with he same result, X-Plane 11 won't start. With the Bing tile X-Plane 11 starts but may or may not CTD at anytime. So currently my flying is stuck at KSAN. :blink:

I explained this in one of my Scenery Add-on 'blogs' in detail. The short answer, is that BI(ng) has certain files that are most likely corrupted upon their server, or hash-tags that it has downloaded, but does not.  The easy fix...is to use another service for that one tile.  If you ever get this anytime again, merely look at your LOG file, and it will tell you the tile that had the missing file(s) that XP11 was looking for.

So....use GO2, and re-cut that one tile. You will be fine, the next time your run XP.  It will load out..and also for your information, depending on how much system RAM, you have,  as many as 5 or 6 tiles around your 'airport' tile, can be loaded, and in this case, this was what was happening to you.  A tile three or four over, had an error, and stopped the full load-in sequencing.  Recreate with another source server...and you'll be good to go.

Also, I have seen many times that not all the files were downloaded with the primary generation. I also suggest to others, that they press Step 3 three times, if they are manually creating tiles, just to be sure that all the jpg pictures were downloaded as needed and were converted.  While I like the tile-to-tile color consistency with BI(ng), I also find that I have the most (can't find the texture squawk from XP11) when converting with BI(ng).

I have tried to download from Google and US2, with no joy. Is there a way to specify to download just that one file? I have 64 GB of ram so never use more than 15% of my system ram. Have 8 GB of GPU RAM and never load more than 6+GB of that according to GPU-Z

6 hours ago, wb5okj said:

I have tried to download from Google and US2, with no joy. Is there a way to specify to download just that one file? I have 64 GB of ram so never use more than 15% of my system ram. Have 8 GB of GPU RAM and never load more than 6+GB of that according to GPU-Z

Not that I have found, Donald.  I'd try that problem tile with every source then, upon the drop down...and see if that will get you there. The only other thing you can do...is to yellow-highlight that tile and use the total delete button...to remove the conversion. Then...when you fly over that area, it will be XP11 default, BUT, will not CTD XP11, for when it loads in all the custom ortho tiles you have created, that surrounds the one that was a 'no-joy'.  That will work as well. No need to throw the ortho baby out with the bathwater, :) for that converted area.

There is one other thing you can try...it could be the z-factor as well...for instance, you want to generate that tile at z17, but you are not getting a z17 .jpg picture to download and convert by Ortho4XP.  I'd try then to re-cut that tile at z18, or z19...in total Yep...who cares how large that tile is, for that one...and see if XP11 loads in the whole shebang, without CTD.  If you don't want that level (or storage hit) for z19, then try z18,z16,z15...any other z-rating to generate a tile in that area that will be viable.  Personally, I'd want to have to go to one z factor higher, than what I tried to convert to, but with a CTD.  That way, you'd lose no visual acuity, as you cross into that tile, in the flight path. One lower, than the problem z-factor jpg clutch can't hurt either, of course...

Hope this helped.

Thanks Ses,

All sounds reasonable, and doable I will try at different levels.

11 hours ago, wb5okj said:

Thanks Ses,

All sounds reasonable, and doable I will try at different levels.

Most welcome, Donald!  I'm still 'surfing the learning curve myself!

Donald, I created +35-98 with USA 2 and XP 11 is loading without issues. I did it in z16/19. I get 1371 files and a total of 5,61 GB. Maybe worth another try for you.  

Hans

Hi hjsmuc,

I finally got one downloaded and working from USA2 also. I didn't like the color too much, but it is working in ZL 16. I finally got a working ortho in ZL 17/19 from GO2, which has very good color, there are some areas though in this one, that are just water. LOL It does work though so will keep plugging away. I really don't have an interest in doing too much ortho, I just like the areas that I know and are likely to fly in. 

Thanks for answering though.