Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

Too Many Changes = Lving Hell

I have enjoyed a pretty stable flight-sim experience for quite some time, starting with FSX Gold and moving to Prepar3D V1. And despite being an Orbx fan-boi and owning practically everything, my system was responsive and generally smooth. 

So, naturally, I thought I would change it and upgrade from my GTX 780 to a GTX 1080. Did the usual, such as wiping the shader files, letting P3D create a new cfg file, etc. Well, things were looking good for exactly two days and then Windows Creator update happened. Never had an issue with Windows 10 before, and I generally accept the updates as part and parcel of keeping current with respect to patches, malware avoidance, etc, etc, etc.

Now I get errors all over the place, both within P3D V3.4 and blue screens, and ONLY FOR P3D - nothing else is effected. When I run a test like 3DMark it shows my system is more capable than 93-percent of all tested systems, and I can hear the fans working hard. Yay for me...

A summary of blue-screen errors includes:

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (this seems to be a favorite)
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (this suggests that the video card driver was "lost" during operation)
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

and a raft of P3D errors. 

Unhandled exception in .NET 
menus.dll
KERNELBASE.dll
g2d.dll
NVSVC64.DLL_unloaded
NVI2.dll
ntdll.dll
and everybody's favorite "unknown". 

Clearly, my system is sick. I think I will just sit this one out for a week or so and move to V4. Running all SSD, so don't have the room for parallel flight sims.

Weird how these things happen. I retired as of April 1st, and on my last "commute" home my faithful 67 Mercury Comet decided to be a blue ###### and stranded me a mile from home. Still haven't fully isolated that mess either! Good thing I am retired...

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

11 minutes ago, Howellerman said:

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Hi John,

What NVIDIA driver are you using? The above error was quite common until very recently. Are you overclocking your 1080GTX?

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

1 hour ago, Howellerman said:

Weird how these things happen. I retired as of April 1st, and on my last "commute" home my faithful 67 Mercury Comet decided to be a blue ###### and stranded me a mile from home. Still haven't fully isolated that mess either! Good thing I am retired...

Amen...., I ran out of work a year before my planned retirement so I went through a period of being very frugal. I put eight months on one tank of gas, and still had to replace a failed AC outdoor unit. However, as long as you keep your health I promise it gets better.  Retirement has finally given me the time I have always wanted to do the things I wanted, and now that I am well into my "planned" retirement things are not so dire.  Hang in there and be sure to hang around.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, mawibo said:

Hi John,

What NVIDIA driver are you using? The above error was quite common until very recently. Are you overclocking your 1080GTX?

thanks, Maarten

Heya Maarten, 

Long time, no see!

I ping-ponged back and forth between the "stable" 376.33 driver and the latest drivers. To tell you the truth, I did not write down which driver was in place when I received that error.

I started running two passes of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) just to make sure to clear out the detritus between switches.

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

2 hours ago, Howellerman said:

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (this seems to be a favorite)
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (this suggests that the video card driver was "lost" during operation)
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I've usually gotten the watchdog error during my overclocking process if the overclock wasn't stable.  Have you done any overclocking of any of your devices?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hi Chris, 

Yes, my 3770K is overclocked to 4.2GHz, but I am using the MSI "Overclock Genie" and it has been super stable. I ran it up to 4.6GHz in the past, but that was unstable. 

I am thinking more and more that the Windows Creator update is at the root of this problem. For one, I just identified the fact that it installed an Nvidia driver that was NOT part of my "library". Rolled that one out (382.05) and installed the newest driver and managed to actually take off and land a complete 30 minute flight. So, things may be looking up!

JKH

John Howell

When i first started using Win10, it was a new build, I had system crashes that I finally eliminated by doing a thorough cleaning-out of all NVidia files and folders.  You have to start windows in safe mode to be able to delete a couple of their files, so unless you revert to safe mode there will always be detritus remaining.  I have not had a similar problem since that episode.

Dan Downs KCRP

Clock watchdog timeout BSOD means your CPU OC is unstable.  That can cause every single additional error you described.  Either turn down your CPU OC or raise the Vcore.