Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Use of British keyboards

My computers for flight simulation default to keyboards that are American, whereas my keyboards are physically British.  The computer British is there as an alternate.

I am trying to set # as my yoke button, but it is in a different position on the US keyboard.

Could I install the British as the windows display keyboard and the US as another language?

Regards

Frank Jones

It would be worth a try. Now that you have US-English voice recognition installed, it might work.. 

Let us know what happens.

Thank you, Dave.  I have established the British keyboard as the default on both computers, and the American is there as an added language. At the test level, the lady with the American accent is still talking to me.  So that setup seems to work.  But - Boy! What  a learning curve this is!!

Using FSUIPC I am so far unable to get the yoke button working.   More trial and error to do, I think. 

Also - Is there any guidance on phonetics?  I can't stop her (and him, elsewhere)  saying my wife's name, Rena,  instead of Ryanair.  I still have a phonetic guidance on file, which I used with Cepstral voices in the past.  I'll try that.

Regards

Frank Jones

Frank,

Thanks for the update.  Good to know.

I would suggest just changing Ryanair to Ryan Air, with a space.  I suspect the voices will then pronounce it correctly. 

Dave

Thanks Dave.  That did the trick.

Now I'm struggling to get the call button working.

I've entered key presses, and they show as a zero.  But if I enter the key code 35 (for #), that shows.  But, still no life in the mike side of the headset.  Just keep plugging on I suppose.  But any hints would be welcome.

Regards

Frank Jones

When you set up a HotKey, you should not enter the number manually.  All you have to do is press the desired key and the key value should show in the window.  Then you press Set.  If only 0 is showing, then the program does not have access to the Keyboard for some reason.

Try using  the On-screen PTT button at the bottom of the main screen.  If that works, then I suspect it has to do with the keyboard presses not making it to the program.

If the on-screen PTT button works, try setting up a Joystick button instead of a HotKey for the PTT.

Dave

Hi Dave

Could it be that the program wants to see an American keyboard, not a British one?

Sorry, your last sentence is confusing me.  Should I only use the PTT button when configuring?

Regards

Frank Jones

Frank,

Yes.  That's what I was thinking.  If all you get are 0's when you press a key trying to set up the HotKey, then I suspect the program is not seeing your keyboard.

In the last sentence, I was saying that if you can't use a HotKey, try using a Joystick button instead.

Dave

Dave

I switched the keyboard setting to US default, and it makes no difference to configuring the button press on my yoke.  That isn't being seen, i.e. it still shows as 0.

When I follow the practice procedure and hold the PPT button with the mouse, my words are heard and appear after txt. on the right upper panel.

So my entire problem seems to be that I cannot link the yoke to P2A.  Would you agree?

On my Jetmax setup I have an Agronn yoke. And that is operated on the main PC through the JM controller.  The button I want to use responds when I do a setting in FSUIPC.  So, I'm missing something vital here.

I am using the vPilot method, recommended elsewhere, but I can't get a key press to include in the WideClient.ini file

Regards

Frank Jones

Frank,

All my answers up to this point were premised on the thought that you were trying to set up a HotKey on the Keyboard to act as the PTT, not a button on your Yoke.  Setting up the button on the Yoke, you do not use the keyboard at all.

Clear the PTT Hot Key and leave it blank.

In the PTT Joystick Button area,

1) Check the Enable Checkbox

2) Press the Set Button

3) In the resulting window, select your Yoke from the drop down

4) Press the desired PTT button and its number will appear in the text box below the drop-down.  The number may be 0, mine happens to be.  You can press a different button first and be sure that the button number is being picked up.  Then press the one you want and watch it change.

5) Press the Set Button

Now your Joystick Name and button number should show in the PTT Joystick Button area and you are done.

Dave

Dave

That is all very logical.  Thank you.

In fact I have already tried to find the yoke listed in that dropdown, but it doesn't leap out.  My Logitech headset shows in the list, but from what you say, I shouldn't choose that.

I'll have another try and report back.

Regards

Frank Jones

Dave

I've just tried your suggested steps.

I find that it is PTT Joystick Button where I have been trying.

That dropdown reveals 17 items:

Logitech H360 headset; Mouse; Keyboard; 6 x Plan I/O; 6 x Complex Interface; 2 x 24G Receiver.

There is no specific reference to the yoke.

Regards

Frank Jones

In a previous post you said:

"On my Jetmax setup I have an Agronn yoke. And that is operated on the main PC through the JM controller.  The button I want to use responds when I do a setting in FSUIPC."

That is probably the problem.  That Jetmax controller is "hiding" the yoke.  So, you do need to use the Hot Key setup and not use the PTT Joystick Button setup.

First, you will need to set up a key that will be fired when you press the Yoke button.  Sounds like you may have already done that.  If not, you'll need to do it.

Then set Pilot2ATC's PTT Hot Key to that key using the keyboard.  So, for instance, if you set the yoke button in FSUIPC to correspond to the # key, then when you set up the PTT Hot Key in Pilot2ATC, press the # key on the keyboard as the Hot Key.  Pilot2ATC will know nothing about the Yoke or the button.  FSUIPC will take care of the translation.

If you don't have the payware version of FSUIPC, I believe you'll have to purchase it in order to do these settings. 

There is also another program call SPAD and a payware version SPAD-Next that does the same thing and more graphically.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for further patient help.  I will try all that in the morning.  I'm not as young as I was and tomorrow's another day.

I have been a Pete Dowson fan for many years and always have his paid version.  I know of SPAD and looked at it once - but can't remember why :blink:

Regards

Frank Jones

Dave

I spent a lot of yesterday, trying your latest suggestion.  In practice mode I was getting more reaction.  I was being heard and replied to, but only when I pressed and held PTT on screen.  The yoke trigger, although set up in FSUIPC, was still not working.  The "vPilot" link was typed into the WideClient.ini

My close friend and FS enthusiast will visit soon and try his magic on it.  He is a computer professional, who builds my computers.  He knows my system well and should be able to work it out.

I didn't try SPAD, which seems to have been designed for Saitek equipment.

I will let you know how we get on.

Regards

Frank Jones