Sign in to follow this  

Who has been fooling who?

Just out of curiosity: for years we've been told the move to 64 bit would render all addons useless and we would have to wait months if not years before all addons would have been build up from scratch again in order to cope with 64 bit. Backwards compatibility would be broken, hell would break loose, simmers would lose everything. Well, sort of. :happy:

But as I am following the current events around v4 I have the impression addons are being updated almost just as fast as after the switch from P3D v2 to v3...! If not faster.

It seems scenery hardly is a problem and mainly planes need some work but quite a few updates for planes have been announced or even released already! Even addons like Active Sky have been updated already! And most of the updates are even free too!

What's up? How come? It turns out the switch to 64 bit hardly is a problem at all! Who has been fooling who for all these years?!

I think it's more that this has been a long time coming and plenty of developers have had time to get ready. 

That being said, we always knew sceneries would be the lesser issue and that complex aircraft are going to be the bigger challenge, so it's no surprise that we have quite a few sceneries ready shortly after release, but no complex aircraft are ready yet (A2A 172 being the exception). 

• Upvote 1

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

I think people here like talking about things they know little about. A bit like the media.... trying to create a story.

Plus a lot of work by the devs. Remember y2k?

• Upvote 6

I think the good cooperation/collaboration between LM and developers have expedited things, look at early (strong) resistance to FSW, it is always good cooperation and understanding that will prevail.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

10 minutes ago, J van E said:

Just out of curiosity: for years we've been told the move to 64 bit would render all addons useless and....

Only add-ons containing C++ programming code (and interacting with P3D) have to be migrated, all others not (like scenery)
Except of course updated installers.

In the past no one has said that all add-ons needed to be migrated.
Also LM apparently decided to keep the legacy BGL files and not develop a whole new scenery graphics engine (yet?)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

For me it's more like... Well, is this all there is after all, about being 64 bit ?

I didn't buy P3Dv4, nor will I spend the amount of money it costs, but I bought DTG's FSW... It's pretty much the same feel I am sure, less the add-ons, which I also never had in FSX anyway... But honestly, after using the graphics and smoothness of IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, AEFS2, XP11, and even DCS World, but specifically XP and AEFS which give me a 3d airport world in as far as slopes go, looking at this offers ( P3D and FSW ) is looking way back...

As some have pointed out for years, it is not the 64 bits that makes up the FLIGHT simulation...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hmm .. don't be too quick to say it's all so straightforward

Both FlyTampa and UK2000 are both discovering some new quirks in v4 that affect their sceneries

Any product that utilises some sort of third party scenery engine is going to take some fixing
SODE has already been updated but not the dreaded APController.exe that makes Aerosoft Zurich / Prague / Split such a headache.

Even the mighty Orbx still need to get their objectFlow modules working

It's going to be a while yet.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

Welcome to the mysterious world of ...

Flightsimulation 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I fully agree. I remember how much time the FS9->FSX move has taken until the most important addons were available.Compared to this, P3D versions change and adaption of addons seem to be instantly.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I always said here that switching to 64 bit is no rocket science and I got harsh comments for this....

Well.... q.e.d.

Most problems now come from the new SDK.

I think OP has a good point. 

We have been told for many years, by many people, that 64 bit would a) maybe never happen 2) be something that would ruin everything that we know. There would always be others chiming in that conversion to 64 bit would actually be pretty easy.

i think the latter group was right.

Do you remember how long we had to wait for Orbx to have scenery compatible for previous versions of P3D? 

And planes - as someone whom made a full switch to P3D when v1 came out, Imwent years without an Ngx, being told by PMDG that there was zero chance that I would ever have one.

everything seems to be turning out to be far smoother than even the optimists had hoped. 😊

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

51 minutes ago, J van E said:

Just out of curiosity: for years we've been told the move to 64 bit would render all addons useless

Who told you that? It was always clear that this would not affect scenery, unless some part of it was dependant on a dll. Which is why the ORBX Airport sceneries aren't compatible yet.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

It seems scenery hardly is a problem and mainly planes need some work but quite a few updates for planes have been announced or even released already! Even addons like Active Sky have been updated already! And most of the updates are even free too!

Meanwhile in another thread 

20 minutes ago, Skald said:

Meanwhile in another thread 

Doesn't disprove the central point made by the OP.  These type of problems were encountered between P3Dv2 and v3 both 32-bit.

Ian R Tyldesley

I cannot recall ever, anyone saying or writing that moving from 32bit to 64bit would be impossible or render 32bit addons useless. Not sure where you have been reading. However, it is not a click and switch either. If that were the case, we'd had all addons made compatible within 24hrs.