Sign in to follow this  

Who has been fooling who?

2 minutes ago, joemiller said:

I cannot recall ever, anyone saying or writing that moving from 32bit to 64bit would be impossible or render 32bit addons useless. Not sure where you have been reading. However, it is not a click and switch either. If that were the case, we'd had all addons made compatible within 24hrs. 

We had that even moving from v2 - v3, always takes around 2-weeks, sometimes not at all (Qualitywings 146 never worked probably in v3)

Ian R Tyldesley

2 minutes ago, joemiller said:

I cannot recall ever, anyone saying or writing that moving from 32bit to 64bit would be impossible or render 32bit addons useless. Not sure where you have been reading. However, it is not a click and switch either. If that were the case, we'd had all addons made compatible within 24hrs. 

Almost everyone here was talking about "how hard it is to move to 64bit".... 

I agree with the OP. I am a software developer and i could not understand how big a deal some people were making of it.

From what I have read , even ancient unsupported add-ons like UT2 are working fine. 

Oh well it's good news for us!

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

As some have pointed out for years, it is not the 64 bits that makes up the FLIGHT simulation...

No, but it is the ATC, AI, systems fidelity, accurate weather depiction, high-quality add-ons and, to a lesser extent, seasons! XP and Aerofly FS 2 take note.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Not really sure who has told you that except misinformed/ignorant users...

3 hours ago, swiesma said:

Almost everyone here was talking about "how hard it is to move to 64bit".... 

Yes, exactly.. "everyone here"... I have never heard anyone that really knows about things or any dev say that. Just speculative/misinformed/speak for the sake of speaking people...

Its because everyone and their goldfish is an expert in the matters of computer science.

3 minutes ago, daelight said:

Its because everyone and their goldfish is an expert in the matters of computer science.

Except the goldfish maintains that expertise for all of 2 seconds..LOL!

Mike

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, J van E said:

Just out of curiosity: for years we've been told the move to 64 bit would render all addons useless and we would have to wait months if not years before all addons would have been build up from scratch again in order to cope with 64 bit. Backwards compatibility would be broken, hell would break loose, simmers would lose everything. Well, sort of. :happy:

But as I am following the current events around v4 I have the impression addons are being updated almost just as fast as after the switch from P3D v2 to v3...! If not faster.

It seems scenery hardly is a problem and mainly planes need some work but quite a few updates for planes have been announced or even released already! Even addons like Active Sky have been updated already! And most of the updates are even free too!

What's up? How come? It turns out the switch to 64 bit hardly is a problem at all! Who has been fooling who for all these years?!

Ah come on Jeroen.....Now all the know nothings who have been blowing clear smoke out of their mouths for years here at avsim will now start to post even more BS to prove that they are Brain Surgeons with out a clue. LOL...It is good that you have broken the code though. About 2/3rds of the post here are just bunk. The other 1/3 is usually from great guys who help us learn and grow.

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

3 hours ago, sanh said:

I agree with the OP. I am a software developer and i could not understand how big a deal some people were making of it.

From what I have read , even ancient unsupported add-ons like UT2 are working fine. 

Oh well it's good news for us!

sanh,

Being a software developer I'd like to ask you a question.

For aircraft and scenery only, not utilities. Are they easier to convert/update because they followed the SDK? Are they harder to convert/update because they didn't?

Sorry, two questions.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

10 hours ago, joemiller said:

I didn't say everyone said it was impossible but most said it was hard. But the question was 'who has been fooling who' and it seems the ignorants have been fooling the other ignorants... :happy: I am amazed you never read about this all because posts like the following one were the norm on flight sim forums for 'ages' (this is a random copy of a post from 2016):

"Besides all that, it is also a thing about add ons and compatibilities which have to be considered either on the dev side as well as on the user´s side. A lot of us may have spend almost 2000ish USD into payware add ons. The majority of add ons -i guess- wouldnt be compatible with 64bit. Devs would need lots of time for converting their add ons to 64bit. If LM would throw P3D64 out tomorrow it would take a year or two to lift add ons like PMDG, ORBX etc to 64bit. On the other hand it might be time to start all over and leave the old stuff behind."

See? We would have to wait for ages and buy everything all over again. And this is how 'everyone' talked about this during the last few years and I was simply wondering how 'we' could have been so wrong. Well, I am glad for you all that 'everyone' had it wrong. :biggrin: That 'I guess' in the quote says it all, I suppose. :happy: It is very clear by now that you have to take information on flight sim forum with a punch of salt... :cool:

12 hours ago, J van E said:

Just out of curiosity: for years we've been told the move to 64 bit would render all addons useless and we would have to wait months if not years before all addons would have been build up from scratch again in order to cope with 64 bit. Backwards compatibility would be broken, hell would break loose, simmers would lose everything. Well, sort of. :happy:

But as I am following the current events around v4 I have the impression addons are being updated almost just as fast as after the switch from P3D v2 to v3...! If not faster.

It seems scenery hardly is a problem and mainly planes need some work but quite a few updates for planes have been announced or even released already! Even addons like Active Sky have been updated already! And most of the updates are even free too!

What's up? How come? It turns out the switch to 64 bit hardly is a problem at all! Who has been fooling who for all these years?!

Just like Y2K. Everything needing a computer was supposed to crash and it didnt!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

If most of your product is coded in XML, then the transition is very easy (e.g. RealAir Legacy, although the soundgauge is third party and needed updated).  If your DLL is 32 bit then there is more work.  Also a word of caution about scenery, unless your product is from high quality developer, the move to v4 could destroy performance.  The 64 bit saga is far from over.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

31 minutes ago, J van E said:

It is very clear by now that you have to take information on flight sim forum with a punch of salt... :cool:

Not entirely.  technical cost is solvable.  Financial cost is another matter.  Flight1 already indicated that the upgrades are not free.  And there are countless add-ons that was paid for that will not be usable in V4.  At the end most of the worries is about the loss of use of paid add-ons, that remains true with the move to 64 bit.  Aside from the big gesture from ORBX, A2A, PMDG, many others charge for upgrade, which means that if the stuffs are not valuable enough for you, you would have loss those stuffs forever.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

v1 came out! OMG this is such a fantastic sim.

v2 was released with small improvements. Mo money.

Then v3 was released. This one was supposed to cure OOM errors. Mo money.

All along a 64bit sim was in progress.

I smell rotten eggs. :biggrin:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.