Sign in to follow this  
mthiffau

Can't set waypoint altitudes in some cases, can't delete SID/STAR waypoints, crashes, and more.

Hello,

I'm hoping at least some of my problems are due to inexperience with the G1000 and not all due to bugs. I'm running FSX:SE on Windows 10 and have been using the stock 172 and the Mooney Bravo.

I'm having the following problems:

- I can't seem to set altitudes for any waypoints in the flight plan (FPL) page once I've loaded a SID/STAR. If I just add simple enroute waypoints to the flight plan I can edit their altitudes, but once I load a procedure I can't edit the altitudes on any of the waypoints any more. I can get to the point where I'm editing the digits in the altitude, but then the ENT key doesn't do anything when I click on it. Hitting the center FMS knob button just clears the altitude and disables the cursor. If I add an enroute waypoint first and set it's altitude, then add an arrival, then go back and try to edit the altitude of the enroute point, I get a debug popup/crash:

Debug Error!
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Module: ...m Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\gauges\MPI_G1000.gau
File:
Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'wDTK' was corrupted.
(Press Retry to debug the application)

- I can use the CLR key to remove regular enroute waypoints, but when I try to delete waypoints from a SID/STAR the CLR button just closes the FPL page (takes me back to the map). This is somewhat annoying because at least some of the STARs seem to contain the airport as a waypoint. If there's an approach that starts where a STAR ends, I can't seem to add in the approach before the airport waypoint (all the approach waypoints get loaded after the airport from the STAR).

- In both 182 variants the G1000 does not even show up in the virtual cockpit

Am I just doing something stupid? Are these known problems? I'm a software developer (mostly C++) so I'm not shy about digging up log files etc if there's anything I can do to help you folks debug this.

Regards,
Matt T

Oh, and I tried using both the 3d cockpit buttons and the pop-out 2d panel. Same both ways.

#1 appears to be a bug.

#2 is user knowledge issue.  An approach is not part of the flight plan.  It is a separate list of waypoints and is done that way on the real G1000 intentionally to prevent you from blindly sequencing into the approach without authority.  To fly the approach you have to either DTO to it's first waypoint or activate it.

#3 There is no support in that 182's 3D model for the G1000.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I figured out #2 just a little while ago, so thanks for your patience.

If #1 is indeed a bug, then I'd like to report one more possibly related bug (at least I think it's a bug). For some reason VNAV only seems to want to work for descents (except in specific circumstances). I'm puttering along at some altitude (say 2000 ft), and I set the altitude for the next waypoint at 3000 ft. The next waypoint is over 20 minutes away, so there would be lots of time to climb. However it doesn't seem to be doing the time-to-climb calculation (doesn't show bottom of climb on the track) and it never initiates a climb. I believe this might be because the FPA in the VNAV part of the FPL page is set to something negative, but when I put my cursor on it and try to adjust it up, it doesn't let me increase it past -0.1 - 0.0 degrees or so. The only time I can get a positive FPA selected seems to be if I load a departure, and then it's only to the waypoints with pre-defined crossing altitudes.

Thanks again for the help,

Matt T

I am not well versed in the VNAV functionality, and am uncertain that it should be providing climb guidance to begin with.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I played with it some more last night, and it seems like if I set the altitude for one waypoint past my next one (end of the next leg), when I cross the next waypoint (end of the current leg) it seems to give it a bit of a "kick" and it will, at least occasionally, re-calculate the FPA to be positive. In those cases the VNAV does appear to work for a climb. I'll do some digging and see if the real one is actually supposed to support climbs as well as descents. I mean, it would seem to make sense to reduce workload during "climb via SID" directives.

As I stated, I am not certain that climb guidance is part of the VNAV for the aircraft you're using.  The G1000 does not provide VNAV climb in all aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I'm having the same experience in both the stock C172 (with and without AFCS) and the stock Mooney Bravo. I'll try a few more and see.