Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

Where can I find the best Helo for FS9???

Well there are some instances where Helo's are really cool... Say the flight from Nice France to Monaco which has no airfields but only Helecopter landing spots, the only way into the coolest scenery/city/location you ever would want to fly to. The only way to get into Monaco is by Helicopter, there's no airport near the place. The Manhattan and the great FS add-on offered is another great Helo stomping ground.I just thought I'd try something different from all the fixed wings I have in my library. I was surprised to find how good the default Bell flew (must have a stick/yoke and CH USB Peddles to really enjoy it because I hated Helos when I was using just a joystick)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If you just want to try something fun and unique in the helicopter genre, hop on over to http://www.munchbros.com and take a look at their Rotorway Exec. It isn't big on Avionics, but it's beautiful in the sky and a great tribute to this homebuilt aircraft.-John

And when you think you have chopper flying down pat install the Chicago Crazy Race file " cgxrace.zip" and try your hand at that. It's old scenery but works well in FS9. Just unpack the file and install. It contains a file "pilots" which I imagine is a video of the race which I couldn't get to work but the main file contains all the information of the race course and the scenery. Gary

Guest fruitfly

>I DON'T know the answer to your question. I would love to fly>a Helicopter in FS9, and I try FREQUENTLY. However, I can>take off and fly....but I cannot LAND. I crash every time and>I go up in a ball of flames.>Please, someone, tell me how to LAND these things. I have been>doing FS for many years, and I do very...very well with>planes, but I cannot land a helicopter.> Decrease realism from 100 to 99 or 98 (just a click or two to the left) and that will DRASTICALLY improve handling. That's obviously a bug.And the best thing is the decrease in realism is so small you won't notice it when flying planes so you won't have to change the settings every time when switching from fixed wing to rotor and vice versa.http://www.fspassengers.com/images/banner/sig/sdc8.jpg

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Can someone please post some screenshots of the DoDo verions(Exterior/VC)???+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Well, by and large, the DoDoSim JetRanger uses the exact same visual model (exterior and interior) as the freeware Owen Hewitt default JetRanger overhaul.I have some captures that I Have here that were used as promo shots for my Mount St. Helens Scenery Packagr release last year, and there's one that's a promo shot for an upcoming scenery package release I am currently working on. They all highlight the excellent visual quality and detail Owen Hewitt spent on his JetRanger.JRO_Flyover_2.JPGThis is the paint scheme (photoreal textures fully applied) of the helicopter used to ferry tourists to the crater of Mount St. Helens from the Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center.MSH_Scen_N636ES_Doors_opened.jpgThe same helicopter, in a screengrab at Hoffstadt Bluffs, with the doors open.KOIN_1.jpgA photoreal repaint of KOIN TV Channel 6's early 1980s helicopter (Portland, OR). This was based on a series of photographs in a book about the eruption of Mount St. Helens published in 1980 by the KOIN TV "Newsroom6"(as their newscasts were known by at the time) staff.And now for some Virtual Cockpit shots.MSH_Scen_N636ES_Virtual_Cockpit_detail.jpgTaken while in-flight towards Mount St. Helens after takeoff from Hoffstadt Bluffs.Sanderson_Airport_Entry.jpgA wide-angle screengrab of the VC taken from a hover infront of the entrance sign for Sanderson Field (I have since replaced that sign with another total photoreal replacement of the new sign the Port of Shelton installed at this spot. (see below)Sanderson_Field_Aviation_Park.jpgIMHO, the Owen Hewitt JetRanger is the best helicopter ever for Flight Simulator, and is the main helicopter I fly in Flight Simulator. (and yes, I am a lifelong fan of the JetRanger series).Addendum: The fully photoreal interior texture kit (i.e. photoreal doors, window post, etc) is an SAR Scenery Design and Repaint Studios exclusive, and has been licensed for use to others. The default Owen Hewitt JetRanger package did not come with them.

Thanks for posting the screenshots. However, one request for future reference (and this applies to all)--unless you are posting screenshots to support a user having a problem in the sim, please place any screenshots posted in response to a request in the screenshots forum and link back to the post in the MSFS forum thread.Unless we're strict in enforcing that rule things can go sour very quickly in terms of this forum becoming flooded with screenshots. It's better for bandwidth reasons and for ease of reading here that we keep such shots where they belong. Thanks in advance for future cooperation in this matter--however, I will let the screenshots you've already posted stay in this thread since you posted them with a sincere effort respond to a user request.Thanks and Regards,John

Guest Bell206freak

Sorry about that. :)

Thanks for the shots Bell206freak and sorry for the trouble. Can you post some night time VC shots of the Dodo bird in the screenshot's forum??? :-shy If the DoDo bird has some great night lighting I'm going to have to get that aircraft... I'm starting to see that the boys at FSD aren't too much into VC night lighting...

FS2020 

Is that making the Helo more realistic to fly or just dumbing down the FDE which is unrealistic and therefore unacceptable??? :-hmmm I'm starting to get the hang of the default Bell/Owen Hewit's 206. You just have to be very careful and keep her level when coming down.

FS2020 

Guest Bell206freak

Well, Owen Hewitt no longer does work with FSD I think, and at the time the JetRanger that he did was a request with a time limit IIRC.There's an incredible demand for an expansion pack on his JetRanger (i.e. wire strike, float skids, low skids, etc), but he has turned down those requests