Sign in to follow this  
peter225

Fatal Error

Hi, when I load Vox I can enter all my personnal preferences except the voice controls and the program works great. If I try to alter the voice settings in any way, add voices or even change Mick,Mary, and Anna round I get a fatal error on enable vox, and the only way I can get Vox to work is a complete reinstall and leaving the voice setting as they are. Any help please no fun having the same voice all the time. Thanks Peter

If this can help anyone supply an answer just found out that I have to have all three options on Anna, then everything works fine. Put anyone to Mick or Mary I get the fatal error back to Anna and all is well.

What version  of Windows are you running? Aren't Mike, Mary and Anna the older SAPI  5 voices that one installs by downloading  an unofficial  freeware pack that some Windows  user put together? Maybe the install is corrupt. 

Hi, I am running Windows 7 and this is not a free copy of Vox. It was working fine even with the extra voices from the Vox web site then I uninstalled it because of a problem with the ptt. When I reinstalled it that when this happened. I have tried a complete new install from Vox but still the same.I run this along side MCE but can't see that being a problem as it worked before.  May have just found the problem but have not got a clue how to solve it. the XML document is only show microsoft ANNA

Edited by peter225
More info.

As I understand your setup you are using the most recent version of VOXATC 6 under Windows 7 64 bit, correct? If you run the 32 bit version of the Windows voice control panel applet, I am assuming that all three voices show up there and work correctly:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

What you are saying is that the file  voicesettings.xml has only the entry for Anna.  It sounds like the VOXATC voice configuration utility can't save changes to the xml file. But why that would cause a fatal error, I have no idea. It should just keep VOXATC stuck all the time on the one voice. One quick thing that you can try is to right click the VOXATC voice configuration utility and "Run as administrator". This might help if the somehow the write permission is blocked for this xml file for your user account. I can't imagine how that may have happened, but it's a simple enough test to start with. Try that first and then we'll see what else we can do.

Hi thank you for your help. Yes I am running the latest Vox 6 under windows 7 64 bit. I went to the applet as you suggested and Anna, Mike, and Mary are all there but only Anna speech works the other two pull up an error "voice cannot be played try another voice or change audio output". I have tried other audio outputs with no luck.

If the two  voices don't work at the OS level, then there is something  wrong with the way that the Mary and Mike voices are installed  in your Windows setup. How were they installed originally? I haven't used Win 7 in a while, but I don't believe those two are default voices.

In any case, it's not a VOXATC issue.

Hi thanks again for your help, going to find the date I uninstall then restore the system from that date and that may just tell me how Mike and Mary plus the other ones were installed, will keep you posted on any developments. Thanks again Peter

First take a look at your list of installed programs  in the Windows Control Panel. It might show up there as something with "TTS" in the title.

Hi back again. After a weekend of searching I have found the fault so going to contact Vox because I do not know the answer. Problem is with VOXPOPBASE it just is not connecting to the server so when I try to enable Vox with voxpopbase downloaded on my computer it can not connect and shuts vox atc down Fatal Error. The path is right in my case H/vox/voxatc server. exe but there is nothing in there. In my opinion this is why if I uninstall Voxpopbase Voxatc work with just Microsofts Anna because it is not trying to access the server. Will let you know how I get on.