Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Avsim Forums so s-l-o-w

3 hours ago, jaydor said:

Try this to speed up your windows and browser and also increase FPS in your sim.

Works on 7, 8 and 10

Right click my PC and select Properties, select Advanced system settings, follow the picture below:

yr4Km8w.jpg

Untick all the boxes except "show thumbnails instead of icon"

You will be surprised..  :cool:

Been doing that for the last 20 years;-)

Checked with our tech and he agrees with my observations and comments.  I mentioned earlier we have a lot of members and guests on-board and that always brings down the site and that is not new.  Our site has always been slow when there are a lot of visitors and members on site.  Our system starts to max out at about 1000 concurrent users and anything over, we start becoming "CPU restricted".  This morning, I noted we had 958 guests and 310 members on-board and the site was getting harder and harder to surf. In fact, I found it very difficult to post anything or to moderate or to maintain the new registrations. We had over 1200 concurrent viewers!  Right now, I see we have 296 members signed on and 722 guests viewing the site.  That's about 1000 concurrent viewers and the site is much faster (at least for me).

We have a lot going on here at AVSIM (thank you all very much!!).  P3DV4 is the main draw right now with a lot of interest at PMDG too with many looking for updates for P3DV4.  A few weeks ago, it was the release of XP11 and more recently, Dovetail's Flight Sim World.  We will have to get use to the occasional slow-downs.  Maybe sometime in the future we'll upgrade to several M-2 SSD Servers (does not exist as far as I know so some tongue-in-cheek but still a possibility for the future).  We never know exactly what the future will bring.  Right now we are very fast most of the time but not all of the time.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10