Sign in to follow this  
blackbird7

[Resolved] Is there a way to connect over the internet with another simmer for multiplayer in P3D v4?

I am trying to utilize P3D v4's multiplayer functionality to connect with another simmer over the internet.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to connect with another player outside of a LAN.  We have tried connecting directly to each other's IP address with "unable to connect" messages.

Has anyone had any success with multiplayer?  Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by Poppet
[Resolved]

Have you tried FSHost? Postcardware and excellent product

www.chocolatesoftware.com

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic beat me to it.. 

Russell has been around for years, I remember using FSH back when Microsoft Zone was a thing. Can't go wrong with FSH. I'm surprised to see that Russell is still at it.  

Where you looking to connect to share an aircraft, or just to fly in the same environment?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Unless you need to connect to someone who has FS9, I too would strongly recommend JoinFS over FSHost or the built in P3D multiplayer.  

It is free and the link Josh gave you will give you full info on the application's features.   

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/

• Upvote 1

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

After a few tests, I don't think the V4 will connect to FSHost. v3.4 will connect just fine but not v4.0.  If anyone who has P3D4 is able to connect with FSHost. I'd be interested to know. I have a message in to the dev of FSHost but I'm pretty sure that he used DirectPlay which is an old version of DirectX and I suspect LM doesn't support it .

Thanx,

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

12 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

After a few tests, I don't think the V4 will connect to FSHost. v3.4 will connect just fine but not v4.0.  If anyone who has P3D4 is able to connect with FSHost. I'd be interested to know. I have a message in to the dev of FSHost but I'm pretty sure that he used DirectPlay which is an old version of DirectX and I suspect LM doesn't support it .

Thanx,

Vic

No worries on the FSHost, and thanks for saving me the trouble in testing it with v4.  It's good to at least know there are some options out there, even if FSHost, doesn't pan out.  

5 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

This is the way to go. Also ck out Digital Theme Park on Team Speak

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/

I will have to check out JoinFS as that appears to be a potential contender.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Where you looking to connect to share an aircraft, or just to fly in the same environment?

I'm mostly just interesting in flying in the same environment.  

My friend and I eventually managed to get P3D v4 multiplayer to work over the internet, albeit, some tampering with the router was needed.  Certainly not ideal for those uncomfortable with router settings (including myself), but our frame rates and multiplayer experience was smooth.  Requiring CAPS LOCK to remain pressed to talk was a bit annoying, but that is easily solvable with Skype or Teamspeak.

Hi Blackbird7, I too am looking to get this set up. Can you provide any details on how you managed to get this to work?

Cheers

Harry

Cheers

John Harris

P3D v4, Win10 64bit, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Saitek Multi Panel, Saitek Switch Panel, Saitek Radio Panel, Saitek FIP

Suggest going the Digital Theme Park route.. simple - works well.

Bert

When I go to the page it only says "Connect your TeamSpeak3 to: ts3.digitalthemepark.com". Not sure how connecting to TeamSpeak allows my P3D to connect to my friends? Can you elaborate?

Cheers

John Harris

P3D v4, Win10 64bit, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Saitek Multi Panel, Saitek Switch Panel, Saitek Radio Panel, Saitek FIP

P3D had a bug in the initial release of V4 that could interefere with Internet connections, but it is reported as being fixed in V4 Hotfix 1.

There are many different multiplayer networks for FSX and P3D (and other platform), and you'll be able to connect to any and all of those.  Some have been posted here in this forum, but an Internet search for FSX Multiplayer should give you a more comprehensive list.

With the above in mind, there can be many different reasons / mgoals for wanting to connect so it would be very helpful to you want you are hoping to accomplish so we can provide you with the best recommendations and advice.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks DaveCT2003, I have P3D V4 Hotfix 1. We normally use FSFDT's FSCoPilot/FSInn for our multiplayer sessions. We like it because of the Radar which no other Multiplayer app seems to have. It is a great tool and worked (with the assistance of the Estonia Migration Tool) all the way up to P3D v3.4. However, as at this point in time it appears that under V4 it has stopped working. We have tried FSHost but are not overly impressed with it. So the thought is to try Multiplayer in P3D to at least cut down the number of programs that we need to have open for Multiplayer sessions. We may add Little Navmap as our "radar". We think the best solution would be an updated (64bit) FSCoPilot/FSInn however that option does not seem as if it will ever happen so now we are looking for "something else" to replace it with.

Cheers

Cheers

John Harris

11 hours ago, hazbenz said:

When I go to the page it only says "Connect your TeamSpeak3 to: ts3.digitalthemepark.com". Not sure how connecting to TeamSpeak allows my P3D to connect to my friends? Can you elaborate?

There are two components:

- Teamspeak for communication

- JoinFS for connectivity

http://digitalthemepark.blogspot.ca/p/how-to-connect-to-multiplayer-session.html

Bert