Sign in to follow this  
touchdown84

P3Dv4 VRAM limit?

Good morning. I added your tweaks, EXP = 10 and LOD 14.5 and I am sitting here at the gate in KSFO in the PMDG 747, flight to EDDM loaded with:

VRAM: 9,24 GB used

RAM: Private Bytes: 15 GB, Working Set: 6,7 GB

Everythng smooth as butter. Man I love V4....

Do you all also experience a massive increase in loading times when using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10?

I measured

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8  ->       50 sec
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9  -> 1 min  5 sec
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 -> 2 min 32 sec

and CPU is almost @100% during loading, don't know if it is just copying terrain to vram or what calculations it performs.

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

36 minutes ago, SimonC said:

touchdown84, what is your P3D on? SSD, PCIe m.2?

P3D on SSD (SATA3), Windows is on smaller M.2

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

What's the default LOD? I mean it seems pretty good with the slider at max, so i'm wondering why to push it some more? 14.5 sounds very very high?

I also get a max 7GB(ish) VRAM usage when using the TEXTURE_EXP=10 option btw..

20 minutes ago, touchdown84 said:

P3D on SSD (SATA3), Windows is on smaller M.2

OK, I am experiencing similar load-times. I wonder if it would go faster from an 960pro or the like.

6 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

What's the default LOD? I mean it seems pretty good with the slider at max, so i'm wondering why to push it some more? 14.5 sounds very very high?

What GPU?

3 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

I just tried setting my LOD to 14.5 - and i'm not noticing a difference from the default 6.5. Nor did it affect my VRAM usage.

Does anyone else notice a significant difference when changing the LOD past the default setting? 

Nope.

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP is the only thing that makes a difference, yet it will only be effective if you have more VRAM - which makes sense, it will kinda "expand" if there is space.

18 minutes ago, Syonco said:

I just tried setting my LOD to 14.5 - and i'm not noticing a difference from the default 6.5. Nor did it affect my VRAM usage.

Does anyone else notice a significant difference when changing the LOD past the default setting? 

I also cannot see a (visual) difference between LOD 6.5 (max. Slider) and 14.5, even when comparing screenshots.

But increasing AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE to e.g. 50000 (max. slider is 30000) has a big effect on the visable houses/trees/lights radius, though it has a big performance impact, even with autogen only on dense.

18 minutes ago, SimonC said:

What GPU?

Titan X (Pascal)

Yep, 1080 ti 11GB here, and as said before, i'm maxing out at around 7GB(ish). Well, we shall see if anyone can shed light as to whether it's capable of using more, or if that's an obvious limit for running optimally. I'm at QHD resolution btw.

6 hours ago, swiesma said:

Good morning. I added your tweaks, EXP = 10 and LOD 14.5 and I am sitting here at the gate in KSFO in the PMDG 747, flight to EDDM loaded with:

VRAM: 9,24 GB used

RAM: Private Bytes: 15 GB, Working Set: 6,7 GB

Everythng smooth as butter. Man I love V4....

strange how you could be using 9.24gb of vram and everything smooth as butter

I believe this feature actually expands higher resolution textures kinda "as much as it can", until the certain point. For instance, I can also use 10, but it will only go up to 3,6GB, and the difference is rather "meh" (or actually worse in my case).

1 hour ago, kurtb said:

strange how you could be using 9.24gb of vram and everything smooth as butter

Why is this strange? I have still some GB left :-)