Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D v4 graphic settings for best overall performance/visuals

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Have you got 4XSSAA set?

Nope! That was it! Good call!

Thank you.

Does an application like PTA have an effect on performance? I am new to P3D and the visuals look a bit off compared to my FSX. Everything looks bright and too white by default (if that makes any sense). 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

You can lower the brightness under Options/Lighting

Bert

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can lower the brightness under Options/Lighting

I did that. It looks a bit better...let the tweaking begin. PTA has a lot to play with...I am almost afraid to mess with it.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

4 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

I did that. It looks a bit better...let the tweaking begin. PTA has a lot to play with...I am almost afraid to mess with it.

FSX has very distinct lighting - pretty, but almost too pretty IMHO..

P3D has, once you get used to it, at least to my eyes a more believable environment :cool:

Have not tinkered with it, as yet..

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

FSX has very distinct lighting - pretty, but almost too pretty IMHO..

P3D has, once you get used to it, at least to my eyes a more believable environment :cool:

After looking at FSX for so long it is just a matter of my eyes getting used to a new lighting engine. FSX (my own at least) kinda looks a bit cartoon-like (colour wise) after spending the past few days with P3Dv4. Textures seem much sharper though, and my eyes are getting used to that rather quickly. :biggrin:

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

On ‎04‎-‎06‎-‎2017 at 8:25 AM, LRW said:

Beau Hollis of LM wrote this in their P3D forum:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=124753&p=158168&hilit=Use+High+Resolution+Terrain+Textures#p158168

GPU heavy features:
- Shadows
- Dynamic Reflections
- SSAA
- Dynamic Lighting
- 3D Water (water set to ultra)
- New 3D rain/snow effects (set weather to storm theme to test)

In terms of GPU memory, checking the high resolution terrain textures box will up the terrain tile resolutionfrom 256 to 512. This uses 4x the texture memory for terrain. With a cfg tweak, you can get the resolution up to 1024. We don't support this via the UI because so few video cards have enough memory to function on that setting. Note that in addition to using more GPU memory, this will put more stress on the threaded CPU jobs used to generate those textures. So, it will impact loading times and paging performance which can lead to blurry textures, models popping in, etc.

Could someone clarify on the high resolution terrain texture check box as I thought fsx/p3d already used 1024 resolution textures which is the size of them in the default scenery. Do the previous versions load/display terrain textures at lower resolution despite textures being 1024 size or does this new setting in v4 allow 1024 farther away?

On 04/06/2017 at 2:40 AM, Nytro said:

Water makes no difference from low to High, Ultra cost 3 fps or so. I see no difference from high to ultra so put it on High.

Dynamic reflections on LOW. Off makes no fps advantage anymore but you dont have dynamic reflections on your plane anymore. If you put dynamic reflections on max you loose 10 fps. Without seeing any major difference.

Also stay away from "Level of Detail". Let it on MAX it brings only 3 fps between low and ultra and ground textures get completely blurred.

Go figures, for me the water in Ultra actually gives better frame rate (maybe an average of +5) than when in High. I end up using Ultra even though I like better the visuals of the High option...

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Anybody running Radeon-based cards? And if so, what settings are you happy with?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

After spending the last few weeks with reinsaltting and tweaking P3Dv4 i finally achieved some quite good results for me as PMDG tubeline flyer.

I got horror perfoemance after installing Black Marble to all my Orbx stuff. So i started to look in older threads, mainly FSX threads, what people did there to achieve stutter free simming.

Then i came across this german one:

https://flightx.net/index.php?thread/28426-fiber-frame-time-fraction-0-tweak/

knowing that most of you will not understand german i try to make it short in english:

I found out that für my i7 6700k the following entrys in prepar3d.cfg work quite good:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=255

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0

I know that some will say the AM tweak is in v4 no longer necessary but removing it results in lower fps and stuttttttttters on my setup.

With this setup i achive in Orbx SoCal South with vector, BM and FSDT KLAXv2 around 23fps sitting in any PMDG plane. Before ist was arround 15 and had serious stutters.

Thats my 2 cents. Not represantative but maybe of some help for you guys.

Best, Carsten

Carsten U

59 minutes ago, RTK1972 said:

After spending the last few weeks with reinsaltting and tweaking P3Dv4 i finally achieved some quite good results for me as PMDG tubeline flyer.

I got horror perfoemance after installing Black Marble to all my Orbx stuff. So i started to look in older threads, mainly FSX threads, what people did there to achieve stutter free simming.

Then i came across this german one:

https://flightx.net/index.php?thread/28426-fiber-frame-time-fraction-0-tweak/

knowing that most of you will not understand german i try to make it short in english:

I found out that für my i7 6700k the following entrys in prepar3d.cfg work quite good:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=255

[MAIN]

I know that some will say the AM tweak is in v4 no longer necessary but removing it results in lower fps and stuttttttttters on my setup.

With this setup i achive in Orbx SoCal South with vector, BM and FSDT KLAXv2 around 23fps sitting in any PMDG plane. Before ist was arround 15 and had serious stutters.

Thats my 2 cents. Not represantative but maybe of some help for you guys.

Best, Carsten

Insnt this a paradox? 

[MAIN]

This gives you zero (0) time per frame for the CPU to render ground textures when you bought FTX South Californien ?

Why not just disable FTX SCA and install OPNELCNA/FTX Global instead and have crisp textures and a little more FPS?

Hardly best overall performancevisuals as this topic is all about

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

28 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Insnt this a paradox? 

[MAIN]

This gives you zero (0) time per frame for the CPU to render ground textures when you bought FTX South Californien ?

Why not just disable FTX SCA and install OPNELCNA/FTX Global instead and have crisp textures and a little more FPS?

Hardly best overall performancevisuals as this topic is all about

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael,

i have openlc installed too. I see no difference when deactivating socal and that was the rason i tried different tweaks.

by the way, with those cfg entrys my tectures are crisp and i have mo stutters

Carsten U

no blurries after some minutes of flight using this FFTF tweak? I doubt...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Without the AM entry i get blurries after a few seconds of course. But with it no blurries.

Carsten U