Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D v4 graphic settings for best overall performance/visuals

27 minutes ago, Fi5kuS said:

Yep,

Tried to disable all shadows on scenery, cloud shadows etc, but FPS oddly remain the same.

I have disabled simobjects cast shadow and it is much better now. When it is on, every ship, boat and car traffic is casting a shadow which kills the GPU.

• Upvote 1

This may help some people but to get really smooth performance on my setup (i5 4690K@4.5GHz, GTX1080, 4K TV) by far the most important thing has been switching to 30Hz refresh rate on the desktop before starting P3D and then running the sim unlimited frame rate with vsync and triple buffering on. With my settings tweaked to be 30+ (mostly all high or ultra but no shadow cast on autogen) it is super smooth, fantastic infact.

P.S. I use Hotkey Resolution Changer to add hotkeys to allow me to switch between 30/60Hz (Ctrl/Shift/3 and Ctrl/Shift/6 respectively)

Cant believe cloud density set at max is killing performance with asp4 asca at 4096 hd

4k tv

Dynamic reflections off

Titan sc 6gb in sli

Yup, the ASCA cloud textures have a big hit on performance... I changed it to 512x512 DT and my performance is better, plus there's no need to have cloud resolutions at 4k let alone 2k. Clouds aren't supposed to be that detailed and if so, you can hardly tell a difference. Save your precious frames for better things.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Following this topic as i have slight stutters in mid air and pretty much lost my way in optimizing Prepar3D v4. One question: Do you guys use Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Manager to adjust things or is this not usefull anymore? What i did was default Nvidia-settings on P3D.exe but set the same MSAA value as in P3D.    

I only set frame limiter in NI, everything else is default... eh.. I have AFx16 set as default for all 3D apps in NV drivers. Frame limit at 35FPS gives me best smoothnes with v4, until that I was suffering from stuttering. And of course I do not use maximum autogen draw distance when flying over heavy populated areas. For sparse areas I have maxed out autogen distance and density, over urban areas I have medium draw distance and between high and extreme desnsity autogen - extreme for most areas, high for some special - LAX, NYC...

• Upvote 1

Thought so, i've seen a article wich explained that v4 has his own (good) supporting MSAA, FXAA etc. Last couple of days i played arround with internal P3D settings like the Vsync, FPS-limiter and so on. Still haven't figure out what settings is the optimal one for my rig. Think i'll just go to default graphics and work my way up again. Thanks for anwsering!

On 4.6.2017 at 0:56 AM, captain420 said:

Sitting with the default plane at FSDT's KLAX I get around 12FPS, and I don't have all my sliders max'd out. My settings are pretty reasonable.

LOL this and basically this whole thread is gold.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

I only set frame limiter in NI, everything else is default... eh.. I have AFx16 set as default for all 3D apps in NV drivers. Frame limit at 35FPS gives me best smoothnes with v4, until that I was suffering from stuttering. And of course I do not use maximum autogen draw distance when flying over heavy populated areas. For sparse areas I have maxed out autogen distance and density, over urban areas I have medium draw distance and between high and extreme desnsity autogen - extreme for most areas, high for some special - LAX, NYC...

I found the same thing Lock frames in NVI to 30 and then unlimited in sim gives me the best performance and smoothness on my 1060.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Locking at 46 FPS in NVI is what I'm currently running for the best smoothness.  (144 Hz/2K monitor)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I'm another who believes that locking frames in NVI improves smoothness with unlimited set in P3D.  In my case I set it at 31.  I also found that dynamic lighting killed my frames when using the limiter in P3D, but it didn't hurt the performance with NVI locking the frames.  Someone else should test this to see if they have similar results.

2017-7-1_13-35-0-376.jpg

For the life of me, I can't get rid of jaggies on aircraft using GTX760 in P3D4 with all the P3D settings as recommended here. Note the window line in the image above.

Sometimes I just want to take crisp screenshots and don't care about framerate, stutters etc but can 't seem to get a clear image.

Does nVidia control panel supersede Inspector or vice-versa?

I've tried default NI P3D settings to no avail, and tried tweaking the control panel settings but no joy.

I have the feeling I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but don't know what. 

orbx socal is a killer area where it's my proving ground for tweaking v4 performance.  one thing that really worked for me (fps and fps stability) is setting FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.133 with max LOD radius and modest (2x msaa) while locking fps at 30.  don't get the blurries as i would with unlimited fps, yet it provides sharp textures even at m0.8.  

monitor frames (min, avg, max) and keep eye on min as dip in fps is stutter.

[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
AverageFrameRate=2,1

just completed orbx scottland to orbx england egph>egll on the f16 at 1700ft m0.85, asv4 rt wx, mostly avg at 30fps, min rarely dipping below 29.  

i was expecting low FFTF would result in poor texture load performance but at least on my rig it's working out quite well.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

1 hour ago, kdfw__ said:

orbx socal is a killer area where it's my proving ground for tweaking v4 performance.

It can be, but great place to play around with settings. If you can get it running decent here, the rest of the world should be pretty good. Other huge hubs would be great starting point too. Use a PMDG aircraft or other high demand aircraft as well. 

KLAX i was really struggling, so i dispensed with road traffic again, and bingo had another 8-10fps. Was nice to see road traffic, but if its going to be that much of a hit, I dont need to see them.  Not surprising with all the highways roads there. Not willing to part with dynamic lighting as I love it, but if you have more than 4xAA its really going to hit you hard. With 4k I keep it at 2xMSAA in big cities, and will up it to 4x everywhere else.  

Overall its running really smooth with few exceptions. The M.2 Samsung 960 also helps alot to keep the data flow high. Its running quite smooth even if the fps struggle  to stay over 20. Soon I will just turn off the fps counter so im not obsessed with it.

I know one thing for sure, running with all these setting now, and seeing alot more visually despite it being around the same fps wise, means big improvements, and I wouldve most definitely OOMed by now in V3. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png