Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Who is going to Make One of These for Simming

worldslargestplane.md.jpg

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I imagine they have designed this with state of the art programmes and wind tunnel tests, but forgive me thinking that this is just gonna snap in two. Why is there not tail boom to give it that geometric stability and strength. 

Ground handling looks to be "problematic"; look at the size of the track!! One custom airfield in the Mojave with extra wide taxi ways etc coming up!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Your right, never thought of that. We would need very wide runways.

Near CAM3

On 6/4/2017 at 2:59 AM, gingerterry said:

I imagine they have designed this with state of the art programmes and wind tunnel tests, but forgive me thinking that this is just gonna snap in two. Why is there not tail boom to give it that geometric stability and strength. 

Well, it's designed to carry and launch a rocket under the main wing. Wiki says -- "Each fuselage has its own tail with horizontal and vertical stabilizer, leaving a clear area behind the payload to reduce the risk of interference during flight."

That could mean avoiding risk of striking a tail boom after the drop. Last I heard, it's planned to use the Pegasus XL vehicle which has a stubby wing and vertical stabilizer. So maybe it's a safety feature in case they don't get enough separation in the drop. Or if they contract for a liquid fuel booster that needs pre-ignition (room for the exhaust).

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

PMDG is working on this as we speak.  Rumor has it that an exact replica sim will be released for P3D v4 by Friday and it even includes a detailed airport that can be downloaded from the operations center.  Simply amazing.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

43 minutes ago, MarkW said:

PMDG is working on this as we speak.  Rumor has it that an exact replica sim will be released for P3D v4 by Friday and it even includes a detailed airport that can be downloaded from the operations center.  Simply amazing.

To be fair PMDG already has the engines/some fuselage models already done for it as it a Frankenstein of two 744's

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Seriously, totally cool.

Near CAM3

The crew sit in the right fuselage, the left fuselage houses avionics and stuff apparently.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thinking more about the lack of tailboom -- they must have huge confidence in keeping the two sets of elevators and rudders moving in perfect synchronization. Think about the twisting forces on that main wing spar, if they get just a little bit off. 

The center wing has to be strong enough to carry the payload, so maybe it's just ultra strong and rigid, and can handle it. They must have tested this with wind tunnel modeling, right?

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Would be fun to have in the sim... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Thinking more about the lack of tailboom -- they must have huge confidence in keeping the two sets of elevators and rudders moving in perfect synchronization. Think about the twisting forces on that main wing spar, if they get just a little bit off. 

The center wing has to be strong enough to carry the payload, so maybe it's just ultra strong and rigid, and can handle it. They must have tested this with wind tunnel modeling, right?

Indeed, they are asking a lot from that wing structure.

• Upvote 1

Why bother with cockpit glazing if there's no crew in that other fuselage? ...... unless they're going to give free rides to AVSIM members? :D

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The center wing has to be strong enough to carry the payload, so maybe it's just ultra strong and rigid, and can handle it.

Very good point. I suspect there's no way that wing could withstand split elevators even if its spar were made of unobtainium.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]