Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

My new Washington State z17/z19 tiles...

I left my comp generating the area used in the first 2 tutorials for the IXEG v1.1 update (It's been so long I forgot everything). I also picked up Icarus's KSAN. Looking good so far, even though the landscape is a bit on the barren side :)

I'm tempted to get back onto PilotEdge, but my issue is that they don't start coverage until after 5PM here, which is normally not doable for me. 

Great work- looks awesome.  

I'm new to X-plane (coming from FSX and P3D) and I'm only starting to understand the freeware options that are available.

I consider my "home" airport on P3D Orcas Island by ORBX.  I assume that you are using ortho4XP to generate these tiles.  Is it possible to share these tiles, or does each person have to generate their own? I'll check out the many ortho4xp you tube videos, but I wonder how long it took you to generate this scenery?  

I understand that there are many, many people on this forum very happy with X-plane freeware options, but I am at a point of my life were money >>> time.  Lucky I get to do an hour flight 1-2 times a week.  I would gladly pay for high quality tiles for this area.  Any thoughts?

15 hours ago, ckelly14 said:

Great work- looks awesome.  

I'm new to X-plane (coming from FSX and P3D) and I'm only starting to understand the freeware options that are available.

I consider my "home" airport on P3D Orcas Island by ORBX.  I assume that you are using ortho4XP to generate these tiles.  Is it possible to share these tiles, or does each person have to generate their own? I'll check out the many ortho4xp you tube videos, but I wonder how long it took you to generate this scenery?  

I understand that there are many, many people on this forum very happy with X-plane freeware options, but I am at a point of my life were money >>> time.  Lucky I get to do an hour flight 1-2 times a week.  I would gladly pay for high quality tiles for this area.  Any thoughts?

It took about 15 minutes for each tile in the area, and that was at a zoom level (zl) of 17, with 2 KM's around the airports done at zl17.  There's lots of graphics there, so each tile on a fast system and very fast internet, will be around 15-20 minutes for a complete tile generation, and ready to go...  You'll get about 4-5 tiles per hour generated.

You can't share, because of possible legal snafu's...definitions of use, etc...so each user has to create his/her own content, for his/her own personal use thereof.

I would not spend a dime on 3rdP Ortho content, when you can get outrageous quality with the usage of Ortho4XP.  If you had the storage capacity...you could even  generate the entire tile...at a whopping z19 factor. You'd see campers at Orcas Island brushing their teeth in the morning...so, I'd stick to a max of zl17, so you don't get grossed out! :happy:

If you like the (I think!) splendid detail of ground elements of my displayed tiles, then you'll like this: z17/19(2)  What that means in Ortho4XP 'speak' is the tile was generated at z17, with a z19 factor for 2KM's out from each and every airport, airfield, and airpark boundary.

To get the special airport surround at a higher z-factor than your total tile general area, you need to turn this on, in the Ortho4XP.cfg file.  You use Notepad ++ for editing and saving.

i would like to use orthoxp to cover all of the u.s and europe, but the file sizes are just too big unless you use an archive drive.

12 minutes ago, Patriot3810 said:

i would like to use orthoxp to cover all of the u.s and europe, but the file sizes are just too big unless you use an archive drive.

Well, if you do it all at zl16, the entire U.S. of A. is around 5 TB's I think.  You can get 6 TB My Books now...and they work like a charm.

The beauty of tiling up, a Western Digital USB 3.x My Book, is that it runs cool, lasts a long time, and won't add to the heat of your computer interior.  Just make sure that you don't buy a used USB 2.0 drive. Way too slow transfer speeds, no matter the price you might find.  USB 3.0 is the ticket....