Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

V4 dynamic lighting FPS hit

Anyone else find that the new dynamic lighting on the Queen in V4 is a huge hit to FPS? For me it cuts my FPS in half. I'm on a i7-4770k and a GTX 970; I'm curious to know what other people are seeing. Definitely keeping it off for now.

Alex Pugh

• Upvote 1

Same problem here with i7 6700K  and GTX1080. going from 35/40 to 20....

Infortunaly not a very good addition in term of performance...

Bruno Teixeira.
W11 PRO x64 | i9 13900k | RTX4090 | 32GB DDR5 | MSFS

Yes I see the same. 4790K @ 4.5GHz / GTX1080 / 16GB RAM - Turn on landing lights and bam! 40fps becomes 20fps. This may be more of a LM issues than a PMDG one however.

Yep. Noticed it with default addons too.

Bruno Teixeira.
W11 PRO x64 | i9 13900k | RTX4090 | 32GB DDR5 | MSFS

What are your ingame AA settings set to? Curious because with A2A 172, anything higher than 4xMSAA, particularly anything SSAA was a huge drag with Dynamic Lighting. MSAA was ok. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

What are your ingame AA settings set to? Curious because with A2A 172, anything higher than 4xMSAA, particularly anything SSAA was a huge drag with Dynamic Lighting. MSAA was ok. 

I found the same thing with SSAA so I've had it set to 4x MSAA since launch.

Im running @4k with my refresh rate locked at 30. With everything maxed out I was getting a steady 30 FPS. In the 747 I get about 15. I will try turning off the Dynamic Lighting.   7700K, 16gb DDR4 2666 and a GTX1080

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

It's a bummer... I was looking forward to P3D finally getting a real lighting engine. 

Yep dynamic lighting your fired...even during daytime turning on landing lights slaughters fps. Getting like a 30-40Fps reduction in heavy areas. From 35 down to 20 and pauses.

On the bright side having a clean install has shown me nust how much resources the Orbx packages consume. IE the Socal package cost 10Fps plus from 35 down to 18-24 plus pauses...gone.

Thanks for the Jumbo guys she is flying on V4 very nicely.

Now when are we getting the other real aeroplane..the DC-6?? Lol..thx

Darren Howie

How was this stuff not caught during the testing of v4 baffles me.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Did you ever come to the conclusion, that dynamic lighting simply needs more optimization from Lockheed-Martin?! To be honest, before you start flying off, and accusing PMDG of bad testing, it's entirely possible, that the new lighting techniques in Prepar3D V4 simply needs some fine-tuning by Lockheed-Martin.

Sometimes I wish people would obtain all facts, before starting (unsubstantiated) accusations regarding problems, that they don't really know what's the root off... 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

5 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Anyone else find that the new dynamic lighting on the Queen in V4 is a huge hit to FPS? For me it cuts my FPS in half. I'm on a i7-4770k and a GTX 970; I'm curious to know what other people are seeing. Definitely keeping it off for now.

Alex Pugh

I am seeing the same, however, only with landing lights + runway turnoff +taxi lights (if fitted). 

Just landing lights = no issues

Just taxi + runway turnoff lights = no issues

P.S. If you turn off dynamic lighting, you dont see any light splash, as in no light at all.