Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

V4 dynamic lighting FPS hit

3 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

How was this stuff not caught during the testing of v4 baffles me.

Could also be that this dynamic lighting thing is one of those forward looking next gen hardware things, kind of like FSX was in its early days; no one had a system that could run all the sliders to the right at first, remember? Then came the i7...

If FSX had been designed to fully run with then current hardware, it never would survived 10 years and would have sucked by now, or soon after.

Now with dynamic lights off and not getting any lights at all? That is something else and shouldn't be. 

My system (i7-7700K/980 GTX) as well for some who knows what reason gets hammered 50%+ with dynamic lighting on and all other sliders to the right with the 747 sitting at the gate at KLAX but I still have landing lights showing and the area is lit up with dynamic lighting off. Haven't tried a flight yet, will do that tomorrow, but if I want dynamic lights, I am going to have to turn other things down, like autogen radius, for example, a big fps killer. Nothing wrong with that it seems to me.

If this option can be better optimized by LM or PMDG in the future, great.  But I guess I don't expect to be able to run this new simulator with all sliders to the right and all boxes checked with my current hardware. Two years from now? Who knows? Do I want to wait for LM to get this right before I can use P3Dv4? No.

What I AM going to do is uncheck that box for now and enjoy a very smooth flight with detailed scenery and AG out to the horizon with AS16/ASCA clouds, detailed airports, moving cars, no OOM's at 30 fps with most of the other sliders full right in the 747. I will leave full autogen radius, 4096 textures, full dynamic reflections, full right and far shadows, and dynamic lighting for the future.

Just sayin'...

Bill

• Upvote 2

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

3 hours ago, beachdog2001 said:

Could also be that this dynamic lighting thing is one of those forward looking next gen hardware things, kind of like FSX was in its early days; no one had a system that could run all the sliders to the right at first, remember? Then came the i7...

Bill

To be honest, dynamic lighting is not exactly next gen tech. 

I will note that I am loving everything else about the 747 in V4. It's a huge step forward. 

Alex Pugh

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, calzonister said:

I am seeing the same, however, only with landing lights + runway turnoff +taxi lights (if fitted). 

Just landing lights = no issues

Just taxi + runway turnoff lights = no issues

P.S. If you turn off dynamic lighting, you dont see any light splash, as in no light at all. 

Yep, looks like we don't have a back-up if dynamic lighting tanks our FPS. That's very disappointing, to say the least.

Alex Pugh

I think the fps will be tweaked either by LM or Pmdg to improve..xp11 has no issues with it so there is no reason why this should have problems.

Just bide your time...

Darren Howie

Something happened and I'm no longer seeing a massive FPS drop with dynamic lighting on. I literally have no idea what changed, besides me messing with AA settings and some other stuff, but all my settings are back to normal and the lights are having very little impact on FPS. I can't say I'm satisfied because I don't understand what happened.

Alex Pugh

Hi Guys

If you run MSAA instead of SSAA for your anti-aliasing, there is less of a framerate hit with dynamic lighting. I just tested this.

On a 4K monitor, you hardly notice the difference in AA values.

There is a performance drop when landing lights are on, runway turn off and taxi lights. I don't think this is related to the 747 though. I also see a gray, instead of red beacon reflection on the inner engines during daytime.

• Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q