Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D v4 is simply amazing!

I played now a bit with it. Seriously, I can't warrant the extremely higher VRAM usage. Default with 0.8 zoom looks more than good to me.

I still have no quality sceneries like ORBX LOWI, so that might change, and I only have GTX980.

If I manage to get the 1080ti, maybe I would think differently.

3 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I can't warrant the extremely higher VRAM usage.

But this is what enables this version to draw sharper terrain textures much further out. I'm currently in the air in the 747 above England and it is insanely good.

• Upvote 1

Well then I guess my GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to handle this. 4GB is just not that much when it comes to this feature. When I push it to 10, I get VRAM usage of 3.6GB, instead of 2.4GB.

@SimonC Well, now you have a reason to spend a sh*tload of money on a new GPU :-)

I think im hardcoded for VAS fear.  Just tried the 744 at CYYZ with the hi res texture pack , and I keep looking for the VAS numbers!  I switch views outside , and its like oh crap, how much VAS did I just use? Can I still do this flight reasonably?  Oh right! Im on 64bit. No need haha. Super sweet.  That in of itself means more than anything. Everything else like performance will work itself out and its actually not bad. Just have to adjust sliders and settings. We are used to that!

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

25 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Well then I guess my GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to handle this. 4GB is just not that much when it comes to this feature. When I push it to 10, I get VRAM usage of 3.6GB, instead of 2.4GB.

I'm in the same boat. I just use 9. It is more than sufficient for my taste.

9 is only marginally better for me, if at all. I see no difference in VRAM load, and I did a shot-comparison, and honestly changes where minimal.

Coming back to the OP: It's interesting how different people have different perceptions and feelings for their favorite platform.

I think v4 is definitely the best performing P3D platform. Nevertheless I am already bored with it. Maybe it's the wait on my favorite aircraft being updated?

For me it's the otherway round. I started to like XP11 more and find it looks way better together with orthos. Ok maybe the airports look better in P3D as there is lots of payware ;) The dynamic lighting is also pretty cool.

Have fun guys!

Regards, Perry

LOD Radius @ 14.5?!! :blink: Do you really need to see autogen on the Moon?

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Can't wait to dip my feet into P3D as a whole.  I'm sure it will be a leap forward from my current FSX DX10 experience.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

7 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Can't wait to dip my feet into P3D as a whole.  I'm sure it will be a leap forward from my current FSX DX10 experience.

If your not  getting ooms or CTD then the swap will be underwhelming. I have the same set up as you. 

Gonna wait 12 months. Baby steps 😁

ZORAN

3 hours ago, swiesma said:

Could you tell me the specs on your machine and what kind of performance hit do you get with these 2 tweaks? I thought the LOD_Radius=6.5 (default value) is the maximum that you can set it to?

And I found out about this TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP from OrbX's when they made a thread showing off their preview shots of FTX Global and OpenLC for P3D v4. Does anyone know what value they had that set at for those screenshots?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yes, it is. 6.5 is the default max, and anything above still doesn't yield any difference.

@swiesma: maybe post a comparison screenshot between non-tweaked and the tweaks you mentioned above?

Specs in the signature.

At KSFO on the ground I have around 30 FPS, in the air around 100 FPS.