Sign in to follow this  
NoahDoah

Anyone who can help me with selecting a nice flight sim PC?

Hi, 

I want to buy a new PC, because mine is quite old... I want to be able to play FSX: Steam Edition smoothly with nice graphics with following Add-Ons: A2A Cessna 182, Flight1 GTN 750 and high scenery settings and also if the sky is very cloudy. The Graphics Card should support a minimum of 3 Screens (Because I also need it for work).

Is there anything good for around 1000€? I found the Chillblast Fusion Stratus 2 designed by Matt Davies: https://chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-stratus-2-flight-sim-pc-designed-by-matt-davies.html
Or this one: http://www.mifcom.de/flightmaster-foxtrot-id4935

However, are 8GB of RAM enough? Do you know other products?

Thanks!

For FSX, 8GB is enough because of the 4GB VAS limit. For other applications or more modern flightsims, 8GB is on the low side though. I'd therefore recommend 16GB. RAM is a rather cheap component anyway.

I see you are based in Austria, I can recommend you take a look at the PC configurator at Alternate: You can select your components individually, but the configurator filters stuff out that isn't compatible. By putting your system together individually, you get far better value for money than with those prebuild systems. I'd suggest starting with an i7-7700 (ca. 300€), a GTX 1070 (ca. 400€) and 16GB RAM. Depending on what else you need, it should cost around 1100-1200€, but it would be way more powerful than those prebuild systems. You need to do a little bit of research regarding the components, but the time invested is worth it.

If you want Alternate to build the system for you, they charge an extra 100€ IIRC, which is very reasonable. (That's how I build my system and I am very happy with what I got and how professional they put it together.) Delivery to Austria would be rather cheap and quick as well.

If the graphics card is enough to support your three monitors depends of course on their size and the resolution your are running them on. You might have to do some further research in that regard.

I have now configured a PC to fit my needs. It' around 1200€. Could you make a look on it? What can be better? Enough power for FSX with many Addons?

CPU

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4x 4.2GHz, 8MB Cache

MAINBOARD

MSI B250M Pro-VDH | Intel B250, mATX

GRAPHIC-CARD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

MEMORY

16GB DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | 2x 8GB

1TB HDD

500 Watt Corsair power supply

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you recommend a SSD for FSX?

Would be nice if you could "review" my setup.

To get the best out of the 7700K (i.e overclocking it) you need a Z170 or Z270 chipset motherboard.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

3 minutes ago, Gordon Hutchison said:

To get the best out of the 7700K (i.e overclocking it) you need a Z170 or Z270 chipset motherboard.

.. and a better video card.. suggest 1070.

• Upvote 1

Bert

Really a 1070? It's quite expensive and I have heard FSX mostly needs CPU.

1 hour ago, NoahDoah said:

Really a 1070? It's quite expensive and I have heard FSX mostly needs CPU.

I recently changed a GTX780 3Gb card to a GTX 1080 8Gb and on a single 1920x1080 display there was no improvement in fps in FSX SP2.

It's possible a 1070 will benefit 3 displays but I couldn't say. You're right saying FSX is very CPU dependent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I recently changed a GTX780 3Gb card to a GTX 1080 8Gb and on a single 1920x1080 display there was no improvement in fps in FSX SP2.

It's possible a 1070 will benefit 3 displays but I couldn't say. You're right saying FSX is very CPU dependent.

1920x1080 fsx , tests a done to find out CPU vs gpu bound confirm this.

7700k at 5.2ghz fast mems 4133 c16 you begin to be gpu bound with a 980, a Haswell 4.5 ghz is a 780 on the edge or a very well balanced card.

But if you want 4k it's another ballgame

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Gordon Hutchison said:

Is it bad if I don't take one of those motherboards? Will the CPU work significantly worse? Because I set a price boundary for ~1.200€, which I exceed with that motherboard.

To the GPU:

I first wanted the 1050ti, but a friend of mine recommended the 1060 with 3 GB VRAM. But he said I wouldn't need a 1070, because I don't play games with high graphics. So: Do you think a 1060 is enough or maybe even way enough, that I can get a cheaper one? The game with highest graphic usage I look forward to play is GTA V. And I really don't need the highest settings. Also: Can I run three screens with the 1060 if I would buy it? It's because I'm looking forward to use a minimum of 3 screens for work. I would only play FSX with one screen, but if the graphics card is capable of handling more without lags, that would be nice :)

Thanks a lot! I have little knowledge with things concerning hardware.

Definitely get the better motherboard.

As for the videocard, that depends on your budget:

GTX 1050ti -1060 - 1070 - 1080 -1080ti 

all are very capable cards.

Bert

On 6/4/2017 at 6:33 AM, NoahDoah said:

Hi, 

I want to buy a new PC, because mine is quite old... I want to be able to play FSX: Steam Edition smoothly with nice graphics with following Add-Ons: A2A Cessna 182, Flight1 GTN 750 and high scenery settings and also if the sky is very cloudy. The Graphics Card should support a minimum of 3 Screens (Because I also need it for work).

Is there anything good for around 1000€? I found the Chillblast Fusion Stratus 2 designed by Matt Davies: https://chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-stratus-2-flight-sim-pc-designed-by-matt-davies.html
Or this one: http://www.mifcom.de/flightmaster-foxtrot-id4935

However, are 8GB of RAM enough? Do you know other products?

Thanks!

why don't you upgrade to p3d v4, most of your addons will eventually be compatible ,you said you need the higher end system for work, so why not do the 7700k with a 1070, you will be able to get good use ffor flight simming and work with 3 monitors.i wouldn't buy a system from matt davies, any pc you buy that is flight sim specific is gonna cost more than it's worth.anything he is offering is much cheaper at least here in the states.don't get less than 16 gb of system ram,go with the 7700k and squeeze in the fastest videocard you can,a 1200.00 budget you should be able to squeeze a 1080 in there, a 1060 will not be all that great for triple monitors.

18 hours ago, Patriot3810 said:

why don't you upgrade to p3d v4, most of your addons will eventually be compatible ,you said you need the higher end system for work, so why not do the 7700k with a 1070, you will be able to get good use ffor flight simming and work with 3 monitors.i wouldn't buy a system from matt davies, any pc you buy that is flight sim specific is gonna cost more than it's worth.anything he is offering is much cheaper at least here in the states.don't get less than 16 gb of system ram,go with the 7700k and squeeze in the fastest videocard you can,a 1200.00 budget you should be able to squeeze a 1080 in there, a 1060 will not be all that great for triple monitors.

P3D v4. I have never thought about it. But you are SO right. Better performance, most addons compatible and awesome graphics. Only problem: I bought some Addons over Steam. Including Rex Soft Clouds, ASN and AccuFeel. I will think about it. 

I actually don't need a high end system for work, only a GPU that supports three screens. The graphics card should also be enough for FSX (or P3D if i take it) and for GTA V on medium graphics. I have not much experience with hardware, so I don't know if a 1060 is good or even more I need. And I don't know how I can get a 1080 in, without getting over 1.200€.

1 hour ago, NoahDoah said:

P3D v4. I have never thought about it. But you are SO right. Better performance, most addons compatible and awesome graphics. Only problem: I bought some Addons over Steam. Including Rex Soft Clouds, ASN and AccuFeel. I will think about it. (Is the Professional Version the full version? Or can I also go for the cheaper Academic License?)

I actually don't need a high end system for work, only a GPU that supports three screens. The graphics card should also be enough for FSX (or P3D if i take it) and for GTA V on medium graphics. I have not much experience with hardware, so I don't know if a 1060 is good or even more I need. And I don't know how I can get a 1080 in, without getting over 1.200€.

i sent you a private message, don't discuss p3d lisence's in the forums, you will get in trouble. there is no doubt the 4790k is still a great cpu,as i said in my previous post it's the chipset that will help make the difference in p3d.if you can't afford a 1080, try to squeeze a 1070 in your budget if possible, you will regret not buying that higher end videocard down the road. for your work a 1060 is plenty for multi-monitor, but p3d loves clock speeds, thats why i suggested the 7700k, every 7700k will reach 4.8ghz and a large amount will reach 5ghz.