Sign in to follow this  
NoahDoah

Anyone who can help me with selecting a nice flight sim PC?

Your informatics teacher may be a person whose opinion you respect, but they clearly are not knowledgeable about this subject (overclocking).  CPU performance can be (roughly) calculated by multiplying the clock speed of the CPU by the instructions per clock (work performed each clock cycle).  Ask your teacher this: which is faster?  CPU A running @ 2GHz or CPU B running @ 3GHz, all else being equal (i.e. both processors are simply models from the same product family sharing all other characteristics).  Now let's take a stock CPU running at a more realistic 4GHz (given today's products on the market) and overclock it to 5GHz.  Will the 5GHz chip be faster?  The difference in this example is less dramatic, as clock speeds rise over time and we get closer to the theoretical maximum clock speeds of a given manufacturing process and the limits of the physical materials which make up modern microprocesors.  Yet a difference still exists.

Here's the reality: the x86 CPU manufacturers themselves (Intel and AMD) automatically overclock almost every processor they sell.  Intel calls it Turbo Boost technology, AMD calls it Turbo Core.  If it weren't useful, they wouldn't expend their vast engineering resources implementing the concept.  

As to the longevity argument: I've been overclocking since the mid-late 90's and have yet to damage a single CPU.  I've also never met or spoken to anyone that has killed a CPU simply by overclocking.  Now, if you want to talk about the use of extreme measures in the pursuit of clock speed and benchmark world records, I think it is important to account for the differences between these methods and those used in "normal" overclocking methods used by PC enthusiasts across the world for several decades.  Those of us who overclock for long term use must by necessity find an equilibrium, a speed that is both acceptable and sustainable.  This stability can be determined through the use of stability testing tools, of which there are many.  Due to these factors, the likelihood of damaging a CPU *for long-term use* simply by overclocking it is very low.  

If you don't know a lot about overclocking, that's fine, but there's no reason to be afraid of it.  Learn about it, study it, ask questions, and you can safely overclock your processor and get *free* performance that can make your simming experience all the much more enjoyable.  Many people have walked down this road before you, and are happy to help.

I was going to respond to this but Max has already said everything I intended plus more.

Ignore your "infomatics" teacher, understand that his knowledge is rock bottom when it comes to overclocking and pay attention to the individuals like Max that have a wealth of knowledge in this respect.

20 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Your informatics teacher may be a person whose opinion you respect, but they clearly are not knowledgeable about this subject (overclocking).  CPU performance can be (roughly) calculated by multiplying the clock speed of the CPU by the instructions per clock (work performed each clock cycle).  Ask your teacher this: which is faster?  CPU A running @ 2GHz or CPU B running @ 3GHz, all else being equal (i.e. both processors are simply models from the same product family sharing all other characteristics).  Now let's take a stock CPU running at a more realistic 4GHz (given today's products on the market) and overclock it to 5GHz.  Will the 5GHz chip be faster?  The difference in this example is less dramatic, as clock speeds rise over time and we get closer to the theoretical maximum clock speeds of a given manufacturing process and the limits of the physical materials which make up modern microprocesors.  Yet a difference still exists.

Here's the reality: the x86 CPU manufacturers themselves (Intel and AMD) automatically overclock almost every processor they sell.  Intel calls it Turbo Boost technology, AMD calls it Turbo Core.  If it weren't useful, they wouldn't expend their vast engineering resources implementing the concept.  

As to the longevity argument: I've been overclocking since the mid-late 90's and have yet to damage a single CPU.  I've also never met or spoken to anyone that has killed a CPU simply by overclocking.  Now, if you want to talk about the use of extreme measures in the pursuit of clock speed and benchmark world records, I think it is important to account for the differences between these methods and those used in "normal" overclocking methods used by PC enthusiasts across the world for several decades.  Those of us who overclock for long term use must by necessity find an equilibrium, a speed that is both acceptable and sustainable.  This stability can be determined through the use of stability testing tools, of which there are many.  Due to these factors, the likelihood of damaging a CPU *for long-term use* simply by overclocking it is very low.  

If you don't know a lot about overclocking, that's fine, but there's no reason to be afraid of it.  Learn about it, study it, ask questions, and you can safely overclock your processor and get *free* performance that can make your simming experience all the much more enjoyable.  Many people have walked down this road before you, and are happy to help.

Thanks for the very extended reply! Would I really feel the difference in flight sim when I overclock the CPU to, for example, 5GHz?

And what about cooling? Do Processors create a much higher temperature when overclocked?

Yes, and yes...

That is why you very likely will not end up at 5.0GHz..

But every 0.1 GHz is worth it, if you can keep your system stable.

So, the point is, do not cut yourself out of overclocking at some time in the future by buying the correct "K" level CPU, but the cheaper motherboard.

Bert

in another thread i stated i own the 7700k at 5ghz and just bought a ryzen 7 1700, i have ran p3d 4 and x-plane 11 on the ryzen 7 and i don't see but 5 fps difference in p3d.p3d also loads amazingly fast on ryzen. if you are on a budget you can get the ryzen 7 1700 for 299.00. thats at 3.8ghz. noone has really given a straight forward answer to ryzen on these forums.keep in mind i am using a 1080ti and 2 nvme ssd's and 32 gb ddr4 running at 2933 on the ryzen, but also downclocked it to 2133 with no noticable difference. the ryzen 7 also idles at 18c for me and doesn't go over 40c under full load even with heavy stress testing. i just wanted to put this out there for people to read. i was actually shocked.

• Upvote 1

I am happy that you like your AMD CPU, but you really are derailing the conversation here... :huh:

Bert

not really he asked for suggested hardware for an upgrade and all i did was suggest a cheaper option, by what i understand he is looking for the best price to performance pc upgrade, but i will leave it at that Bert :-)

On 2017-6-17 at 4:52 PM, NoahDoah said:

And what about cooling? Do Processors create a much higher temperature when overclocked?

Yes. Precisely why we require upgraded cooling when we overclock. When we do upgrade our cooling, thermals can be kept well within the processors capabilities. To give you an example, my PC with a 6700K  overclocked to 4.6 GHz is 74 degrees under load while running a stress test. In games it's much lower than that. That's with a Noctua NH-D15S.

The 7600K system I just built for my daughter, runs quite happily at 4.8 GHz at similar temps, in fact it will do 5GHz. That's with a Corsair H100i V2. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, the Graphics Card is ordered. I purchased the MSI GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR for 298€. It's a great card and is the only partner-card that perfectly fits my needs.

Either z170 or z270 motherboard (pref the z270) and 3200mhz+ ddr4 ram as well

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Ok, I have now spoke with someone, to give me further advise on the configuration. He made a really new configuration:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6x 3.60GHz

COOLER EKL Alpenföhn Olymp

PSU 550W Enermax Revolution Xt II Modular 80+

MOBO MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING AMD X370

It's something really new and I don't really know what I should think of it. Of course: A Hexacore is nice and future-proof, what is good actually. My main concerns are if it works good in flight sim, maybe even better than my previous choice, the i7 7700k at 4.2GHz. 

• What do you think of it?
  • Is it good for FSX?
  • Is it enough for other games?
  • Should I take it even though I am not planning to do multitasking a lot at this time?
  • What about overclocking? What could I achieve with this cooler?

Thanks a lot!

Don't bother

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Agree, don't bother.

Intel is a better choice for FSX than AMD, and 4.2GHz+ is better than 3.6GHz.

Bert

On 6/4/2017 at 0:02 PM, domae001 said:

You need to do a little bit of research regarding the components, but the time invested is worth it.

Can't agree more with that! Consider:

i5-7600K + Z270 M/B (or i5-6600K + Z170 M/B deal)

16GB DDR4 (2x8 kit 3000MHz or better)

GTX1070 (or GTX980 deal)

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

First part of my computer is here :biggrin:. The feeling of having a graphics card in your hands, knowing it costs as much as some people pay for their whole computer is... I can't describe it. I have never had that much power in my hands :happy:. I'm so happy right now. How happy will I be when the rest arrives... :biggrin: You have to understand me: I am seventeen now, when I was ten years old, I got my laptop I am using until today. It's actually a wonder it's still running, let's say reasonably. I am like an Indian right now. They always had their old, things and horses and so on and then suddenly the americans brought so much modern things, trains and so on. (Sorry, I'm just too happy :biggrin:)

2wBcTtgBw.jpg

• Upvote 1