Sign in to follow this  
jfri

BEV questions

Regarding the two different BEV winter textures1) Which one of them will be selected for display? Will I get hardwinter depending on the location (if so which)? Or is hard winter selected during a certain time period (if so which)?2) Is snowcoverage the thing that separates the two?3) Is some form of realtime snowcoverage possible? For example at present I do have a lot of snow were I live but that is not always the case for this time of the year. Can this be taken into account in FS? If not could it be possible to force the use of hard or soft winter?4) How big difference is it between soft winter and fall?5) Is getting both the winter textures the onle sensible choice? Or might I be as well of with only hardwinter?

>Regarding the two different BEV winter textures>1) Which one of them will be selected for display? Will I get>hardwinter depending on the location (if so which)? Or is hard>winter selected during a certain time period (if so which)?>2) Is snowcoverage the thing that separates the two?>3) Is some form of realtime snowcoverage possible? For example>at present I do have a lot of snow were I live but that is not>always the case for this time of the year. Can this be taken>into account in FS? If not could it be possible to force the>use of hard or soft winter?>4) How big difference is it between soft winter and fall?>5) Is getting both the winter textures the onle sensible>choice? Or might I be as well of with only hardwinter?=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpgThere are five sets of textures in FS. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter (no snow) and Hard Winter (Snow).Which texture set is displayed is based on a combination of date, location and weather. FS automatically picks the season to display for you based on those three factors.As an example, when testing VOl 3 I had a hard time finding places to reliably test. I finally found that if I created a flight at KOMA (Omaha) on Dec 24 with Fair weather, I would have Winter Textures. I could fly north just a few miles to see Hard Winter, so it was a great situation to compare.BEV only replaces the textures displayed by FS. If you are seeing Winter textures now in FS (no snow), that is what you will see with BEV. If you see Hard Winter (snow), you will see that with BEV.BEV VOl 3 is Winter. Bev Vol 4 is Hard Winter, and is on target to be available this weekend. If a user currently has only Vol 3 and FS wants to show Hard Winter, it will display whatever Hard Winter textures you have installed, probably default.Fall has a lot of color in in it. Winter has no leaves on the trees and is, well, boring. There are lots of screenshots on our home page if you wish to compare. I hope that helps.Tony

Guest fokker70

I can only recommend you check out the website, the textures are beyond excellent in look and value in my very humble opinion and my CC is waiting for the weekend. Jeff

I have the first three BEV releases and can just say they are incredible, the winter set is working great for my flying here in the Pacific NW and I will be getting the hard winter set upon release. If you want an opportunity to get a taste of what a change this will make to your flying views you can always try VOZ for Australia. I took one flight with VOZ and I was purchasing BEV after landing.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

There is a file, seasons.bgl, which controls the seasons that are displayed. The file can be displayed in the sdk tmfviewer. It only provides options for 12 months; it doesn't show the actual date on which the season changes. The only way I have found to do that is to change the date in the sim and see what textures are loaded. Here is an extract from tmfviewer, set to January, showing the extent of hard winter / winter in NE US:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140091.jpgscott s..

>I have the first three BEV releases and can just say they are>incredible, the winter set is working great for my flying here>in the Pacific NW and I will be getting the hard winter set>upon release. If you want an opportunity to get a taste of>what a change this will make to your flying views you can>always try VOZ for Australia. I took one flight with VOZ and>I was purchasing BEV after landing.Interesting. My last flights has been in the PNW and I have the Megascenery Pacific NW volume and I have the impression that its winter scenery is not as good as it's other seasons.Also I see squares with snow textures surrounded by green textures. My flight started outside MS PNW and ended into it (KMFR to KBFI).

Guest JIMJAM

I flew around for a few hours and was convinced the winter textures did not load. I saw very little change from default and figured I had a install problem. It took a few hours and a few post to figure out that for the most part there were not any changes. Almost the entire area I was flying from, North of Las Vegas, was mostly hard winter textures,snow that fs9 loads. Yes the autogen looks great but that horrible leopard skin texture print makes up alot of the terrain. Another 9 bucks when the hard winter textures comes out should take care of that eye sore.Geez, Im seriously working towards having a grand in addons!

>I flew around for a few hours and was convinced the winter>textures did not load. I saw very little change from defaultWere you also using Megascenery USA PNW?