Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Now, Batching tiles, like a Banshee!

My latest set and walk away from the computer, with set to Turn off after completion, is

a batch cook up of 283 Tiles... :)

Gotta leave the monitor,and turn it off, for a watched pot never boils, LOL!

Yeah...I'm having fun...

Mitch

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Uhm... ok?

LOL...was posting-mumbling to myself...now to shortly get outside, it has stopped raining.. :)

Cheers,

:)

3 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

LOL...was posting-mumbling to myself...now to shortly get outside, it has stopped raining.. :)

Cheers,

:)

I DID warn you Mitch!!  17/19/2 is a very addictive setting :laugh:

(p.s - Thanks for the tip about re-doing step 3 my friend. You were right about it missing some files on the first pass!!)

I *REALLY* wish I knew what you guys were talking about...

Well I do, but not the details on how to get all that goodness, and really would as it looks awesome!!! :D

5 hours ago, J.L.Seagull said:

I DID warn you Mitch!!  17/19/2 is a very addictive setting :laugh:

(p.s - Thanks for the tip about re-doing step 3 my friend. You were right about it missing some files on the first pass!!)

You did...and now look what you've done to me, David! LOLOLOLOL, and this isn't the whole map...LOL!

...and you are most welcome,  I usually give it two Step Three passes after the primary. Most of the time, I have seen a couple of stragglers...

Batching.png

11 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

I *REALLY* wish I knew what you guys were talking about...

Well I do, but not the details on how to get all that goodness, and really would as it looks awesome!!! :D

Well, Raven, you only have to: RTFM!   :cool:

Here's the link to get you the latest version of Ortho4XP

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cjjwu92mausoh04/AACt-QzgMRwKDL392K_Ux3cPa?dl=0

At the top right of the screen, press DOWNLOAD, and then press DIRECT DOWNLOAD.

Have fun...but seriously...there is a learning curve..so as is always suggested, to a newbie;  RTFM! :))))))

Cheers,

What have you got against North Carolina?!  :biggrin:

I've taken the plunge.  Doing my first test tile now with BI at ZL17 with some ZL19 polygons around a few of my regular airports.  

What's the "2" in 17/19/2?  Two passes at step 3 (building the tile)?  Once I've done everything and built an overlay, do I just press Step 3 again?  Or do I change some of the tick boxes?

I'm going to try BI and GO2 and USA_2 for this are (probably one set at 16/17 as well just to see the difference).  If I do the same tile again with a different source, do I just move the original tile I created into a different directory?  

I fear I may have gotten into something...

4 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Well, Raven, you only have to: RTFM!   :cool:

Here's the link to get you the latest version of Ortho4XP

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cjjwu92mausoh04/AACt-QzgMRwKDL392K_Ux3cPa?dl=0

At the top right of the screen, press DOWNLOAD, and then press DIRECT DOWNLOAD.

Have fun...but seriously...there is a learning curve..so as is always suggested, to a newbie;  RTFM! :))))))

Cheers,

Ahhhhh that was my problem!! I was just RTM, not TFM... :P

11 hours ago, Griphos said:

What have you got against North Carolina?!  :biggrin:

I've taken the plunge.  Doing my first test tile now with BI at ZL17 with some ZL19 polygons around a few of my regular airports.  

What's the "2" in 17/19/2?  Two passes at step 3 (building the tile)?  Once I've done everything and built an overlay, do I just press Step 3 again?  Or do I change some of the tick boxes?

I'm going to try BI and GO2 and USA_2 for this are (probably one set at 16/17 as well just to see the difference).  If I do the same tile again with a different source, do I just move the original tile I created into a different directory?  

I fear I may have gotten into something...

LOL...I realized that I had not Batch highlighted those tiles, before I took the snap...but they are highlighted now..and are in the Batch Pool. :)

The 2, (or whatever you want to set it to...3,4,5...whatever) is the KM's around the airport that your more detailed z rating will extend from the airport's boundaries.

I run my tiles as z17/19(2).  2 KM surround at z19.

Nope, once you have created an association between XP11 and 'that' tile, with a created shortcut file, you are good to go. I would check off the box in the Create Tile section that will clean your DDS and TER files..for if that box is checked, any time you re-cut that tile with a different zl factor...after completing the tile, that option will clean/delete all the other files that comprise the other z factors, that are now just ballast and a loss of storage space. 

9 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

Ahhhhh that was my problem!! I was just RTM, not TFM... :P

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!  Right...the TFM, really can get you to focus...:)))))))

Well, I did a trial set of tiles near where I live and fly a lot.  I did ZL17 with some ZL19 areas around my house and a few airports I like to fly to in RL.  I used USA_2, as I tried one tile for my home area from BI and it looked very bad.  USA_2 made much nicer scenery, at least for the hill country of Texas. GO didn't want to work for me.  Kept giving errors.  

It's all familiar, but it's still quite blurry at the low altitudes I often fly at (in XP and RL).  My house is recognizable, but really looks quite blurry still.  I generated overlays, but a lot of buildings at airports don't match what's there still.  

I thought I'd try another set of tiles, using the 17/19/2 parameters possible in the .cfg.  I did 11 tiles covering CT, RI, MA, and Long Island (I was visiting there last week and thought it would be fun to take a look from the air).  

I set it up to generate those 11 tiles, where at least half of the total area was water, yesterday morning at about 9:00 and it just finished as I began typing this post!  24 hours for 11 tiles!  

Does my terrible 4mb d/l bandwidth perhaps make this slower?  Or is this just how long it takes to do that many tiles?

I used USA_2, and I hope it looks good, 'cause I don't want to do this again from another source.  USA_2 made much nicer scenery, at least for the hill country of Texas.  I don't imagine the source makes a difference in the time it takes...

I was thinking of doing a set around southern Utah and northern AZ covering the Grand Canyon and surrounding interesting country, but that's 15 tiles, all full of land data.  I guess I'll have to do that some weekend when I don't need the computer for anything!!

Off to try out the New England set.  

Well...it does take time, and yes, bandwidth speed on your account does make a difference, I'm afraid.

I usually start to Batch before I go to bed, and let it run all the way to the evening, when I come home from work.  Sometimes, it's done, sometimes, it's still Batching.

As you have seen, each 'source' will impact the view outlay of any time generated.  I have in areas unknown, only generated one tile around a well known city. I usually start with BI. Then...will start USA_2, GO2, USA_1...etc...and view that tile.

Also, all of your XP11 user settings of course, inpact the final visual to the screen.  You do want to run Word Objects at either HIGH or MAX, and you want to run Texture at Max, to see the full visuals that tile has to offer, with an XP11 overlay in place.

When I decided upon a source for the full Batch run...I then turn on the Clean Unused DDS and TER files. What that will do, is totally remove all the other source downloads, and bring that tile's storage footprint to as little an impact as possible, when all of the chosen source files have downloaded.  A great clean-up tool!

BTW, ONLY turn on that Clean Unused, blah, blah, AFTER you have tested all the source visuals...because they will all still be in their folders. Let's say you started with BI, and after trying out three or four more sources, you decide that the BI download looks the best. Well, you then put that back in the highlight window, and re-cut the tile.  As long as you don't have this feature box enabled, you can still go and re-cut with any of the already downloaded file sets, to generate that tile, with any of the prior sources, you already took the time and expense to download.  There will be no file downloads..and it will be very fast.

ONLY use that Clean Unused DDS and TER files box...when you have decided on the ONLY file source to be used for that tile, or Batch series of tiles.  That box checked off, will ERASE and REMOVE all the other un-used file caches. It will keep the one you just, and lastly generated and/or re-cut with.

Right now, I am batching my Mexican Riviera (that all the cruise ships port at...) tiles at z17/19/2, and then onto Western Europe...Germany, France, Italy...Poland...etc.

Cheers,

How might I clean the unused DDS and TER files after completing a batch?  Do I highlight the tiles in the map and do Step 3 again?  Or is there a way to do it manually?  

Thanks for your help.

Well, I have some issues.  I flew the area I created, and although the resolution looks pretty good (17/19/2), there is no autogen except around airports.  I have world objects at max.  I originally created an overlay from global scenery when I created the batch.  But then I downloaded HD mesh v3 by alpilotx and ran the create overlay again pointing to that.  Could that have created a problem? I copied the resulting folder (+40-080) into my yOrtho4XP_Overlays folder in Custom Scenery. I have the overlay above the ortho in the scenery.ini of course.  

Also, there are ugly brown tiles which I suppose are due to images taken in winter perhaps.  Finally, the water masks look bizarre.  

Here are some images: 

Cherokee140_O_13.png

Cherokee140_O_14.png

Cherokee140_O_15.png

Cherokee140_O_16.png