Sign in to follow this  
B42L8

Payware reinstall hurdle is getting tiresome.

My work laptop is being replaced with another and I was trying to install Aerosoft'w Manhatten scenary and it asked me to contact the vendor cause I have installed 4 times already.You know.. As is.. I have three computers running wideview.I once had to reinstall it on the same PC after I had to reinstall XP on it again. (This was the time I was having some trouble with installation of Active Camera and I deleted some files I shouldn't have).Its been over ..what...2 years now since I bought this payware? Over a period of time.. people are going reinstall it. I can understand certain time frame for downloading the file.. but limiting users to number of installs (4 in this case)? over the life of the product without the hurdle of getting in touch with the vendor inspite of entering a freaking registration and password and user id..and what not.... This is ridiculous and getting tiresome.I think, we need to maintain a list of vendors and put them on blacklist or something... If only they wouldn't publish good stuff that I can't resist. :)Sorry for venting...MannyOne thing is for sure.. untill they produce something that is so awsome..I ain't buying.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I hear ya, but on the other side of the coin, we can just not buy payware. That is one of the main reasons I am looking forward to FSX, hopefully it will be enough of an advancement in visuals I won't need any addons to enhance it.Some vendors are going to be better than others.Reminds me I need to re-install ManHatten on the new rig, LOLRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Most vendors are fine. I like almost all the paywares using the Flight1 wrapper (they have the same process) and as long as you have verifiable entries you can reinstall em.They don't go into your motives as to why you are installing it for the 4th time in two years...:)I installed the PMDB Queen 747 and 737 on my old machine... I have not flown them since.. I am not into heavies.I was thinking of installing it on my current setup..but the thought of digging into the process of how to go about....I left it alone. Maybe its a simple process.. but who knows. They probably have new versions of it..and I don't even know where to download it. I have few other paywares that I have basically given up on.

Manny

Aerosoft has changed their way of doing this. They have now provided with an option to reset it yourself as long as you can log into your account.That is cool and very acceptable.Thank you.

Manny

The ONLY thing that's going to stop such practices is customers refusing to buy products with the troublesome limitations. Customer resistance destroyed the idea of expiring DVDs on at least two occasions, first with players that called home then again with disks that became unplayable a few days after the airtight package was opened. The same thing COULD work with computer software that won

You are talking about DIVIX right? The brilliant idea cooked up by some Lawyers and that CEO of Circuit city.ROFLMAO... I remember that... He is history...his idea is history.... Circuit city lost millions on that one.I remember the vidophiles anger against that and the campaign they waged . That was funny.:)

Manny

>My work laptop is being replaced with another and I was>trying to install Aerosoft'w Manhatten scenary and it asked me>to contact the vendor cause I have installed 4 times already.>And when you contacted them how long did it take to get a response?

You could go to IIRC simmarket and pay extra for "download protection"!scott s..

They were pretty fast. Didn't have to wait at all.Manny

Manny

I'm involved in the same situation. Both Aerosoft and Flight1 responded immediately to my needs. I will be purchasing from then again when they have a product I want. Thank you both.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

And that isn't the only problem. You can get stuck with an item that doesn't work, and you can't get a refund because it was a downloaded item, so you can't return it.I recently had that experience with FSD on their Cessna Skymaster. Even though they worked with me via Email, we couldn't get it to install. And I couldn't get a refund because I had downloaded the item and had nothing to "return" for a refund. So I was out the cost of the item and never got to use it.Consider that scenario very carefully before you spend any hard-earned money on products obtained that way.

Guest mariosunshine

HI THERE, I DID A COMPLETE REINSTALL TOO, IN MY EXPERIENCE MOST VENDORS WHERE REALLY HELPFUL WITH SETTING YOU UP AGAIN, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT 100 % SURE ABOUT WHICH CREDIT CARD YOU USED. 1) FLIGHT1 TOOK ALWAYS 24 HOURS FROM MAIL TO MAIL AND RESOLVED EVERYTHING WITHIN 3 DAYS, EVEN OLD ORDERS PLACED FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY2) pmdg THE SAME3) ACTIVE SKY AS THE BEST, NO INSTALL LIMITS AT ALLActually nobody put real hurdles in the process...Regards

Number of installs has to be limited to prevent people from giving out their installation codes to others.That would otherwise be no different from giving out serial numbers, which has now become so commonplace it's no real protection at all anymore.Expect things to get stricter rather than laxer as long as the attitude among consumers that software piracy is not only no problem but "kewl" and that people who don't engage in it are stupid doesn't turn around.Companies have to protect their investment in some way, and this is at the moment the way that offers the best tradeoff between protection and inconvenience.Other systems exist which are far more secure but you'd scream even harder about those.If you want to get rid of any protection at all you will need to start taking action against piracy yourself rather than silently condone it.

Well piracy is a problem but it is customers that keep these difficult vendors in business so it is up to custumers to unite in their purchasing selections and only support those vendors that have customer friendly post purchase policies. The rest can just go bust! Perhaps rather than a black list a more postive approach would be a "white" list of customer friendly vendors. Those that don't make the cut will then be on notice to lift their game.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest SoarPics

"If you want to get rid of any protection at all you will need to start taking action against piracy yourself rather than silently condone it."You're making the assumption that consumers condone piracy... and you couldn't be further from the truth. But whether you're wrong or right, Bruce's point above is what matters the most. Unless the software folks wake up and stop making their paying customers' lives difficult they should accept that there are lean times ahead for them. Because even if the pirates continue to steal software developers won't have to worry about their criminal actions if the paying customers get fed up and go away.Greg