Sign in to follow this  
captain420

3rd party airports seem to still be using the old non-dynamic lights

Having noticed that on most if not all the FSDT and Flightbeam airports, that the runway lights doesn't look dynamic to me. Even with the newest Charlotte Airport from FSDT. It looks the same as before with the floating lights above the ground. Why is that? I thought these airports, especially the newest one would support P3D v4's dynamic lighting system?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Ive read somewhere that currently p3d is limited to only 200 or so dynamic lights at a time. Im thinking maybe they left the rwy/twy lights out to avoid that limit?

I can tell you the lights around the terminal definitely utilize the new lighting system however.

Hope this helps.

-Tony@PVD

Edit to add: that was regards to clt specifically . 

Tony Moore

Yeah, only so many dynamic lights can be used in any one scene.  You couldn't make every taxi and runway light dynamic.  I think we will mostly see it used by developers for apron/jetway lighting and the aircraft lights.  I will say that using the PMDG 747 lights (landing, rwy turnoff, wing, taxi) cuts my FPS in half ...the dynamic lights really hit your performance...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I heard Aerosoft has filed a report regarding dynamic lights to LM, and from what I saw in the PMDG forum, PMDG said LM is working on it.

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

Tbh at this stage it's not even worth it at the big airports, even in the pmdg 747 it will kill frames on the best graphic cards, i would rather suggest to give us an options to choose if we want to use it at that airport or not since not every airport will be such a frame hit.

How come so many dynamic lights in xplane don't kill so much of fps in comparison to p3d

There's roughly 5,000-10,000 individual lights at these airports. Just one dynamic light causes a performance hit. We're really not there yet, for a long time. :laugh:

The newer KMSP, which will feature dynamic lights, has roughly 200 at terminal and cargo areas, but each one was meticulously optimized to avoid too much performance impact. 

21 hours ago, captain420 said:

Having noticed that on most if not all the FSDT and Flightbeam airports, that the runway lights doesn't look dynamic to me. Even with the newest Charlotte Airport from FSDT. It looks the same as before with the floating lights above the ground. Why is that? I thought these airports, especially the newest one would support P3D v4's dynamic lighting system?

The only place at KCLT where you can see "real" dynamic lights, are the light pylons of the main terminals.

Which is an hybrid combination of static/dynamic lights, and our custom collider system handled by the Couatl engine in C++, in order to be sure that no more than 6-7 dynamic lights at once: those of the terminal wing closer to your plane position, so only one wing is dynamically lit at at given time, otherwise it defaults to static lighting.

Of course, all GSX vehicles have now dynamic lights too, so the interaction between them, the apron and the airplane, is quite nice.

But it's not possible to have a full dynamic lighted airport with the current graphic engine, and with more than a few , the airport must use such optimization tricks, in order not to kill the fps, especially with antialiasing enabled.

We are experimenting with some totally custom ways to add dynamic lights to the runway lights too, without affecting fps.

KCLT was just a quick test, because the scenery was already done by the time P3D 4 hit beta, but our KORD remake will be designed from the ground up for V4 (meaning it won't work with anything else), and it will be the real thing.

10 minutes ago, virtuali said:

our KORD remake will be designed from the ground up for V4 

Thank you sweet baby *******, is the work in progress already?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Just so everyone understands, "dynamic lights" do not magically appear in P3Dv4.x...

...they have to be added to the scenery by the developers! :ohmy:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

26 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Just so everyone understands, "dynamic lights" do not magically appear in P3Dv4.x...

...they have to be added to the scenery by the developers! :ohmy:

Aaaaah, I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.