Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

P3D4: How's your video card working out?

18 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Jim,

It really isn't necessary to be running unlimited as, inevitably, this pushes the GPU usage, temps and fans towards an unhealthy sustained max. You will achieve an equally good experience by pegging frame rates at 30 (I set it at 31) and your GPU will 'thank' you for it while reserving adequate headroom for other stuff later. Use NVIDIA Inspector's graphing module (always on top) to monitor GPU activity and you will see what I mean. Currently I am testing with various in-sim settings and all sliders to the hard right (some you can, but not all) is inadvisable unless you can accept the penalties in performance. As with V3 you need to achieve a sensible balance. Certainly the 1080Ti allows us to do much more than before, including the provision of some additional useful, and effective, anti-aliasing options (4xSSAA works well for me without the need to employ SGSSAA in NVIDIA Inspector). 

We are, of course, working our way through the honeymoon period before, and perhaps inevitably, certain familiar realities will kick in once again.

I installed V4 yesterday alongside V3 and discovered from the word go that:

1) I don't need any manual tweaks in the configuration file,

2) I can run without an Affinity Mask,

3) I am able to enjoy a smooth and stutter-free experience with Hyperthreading turned back ON.

I do not use G-SYNC with Prepar3D V3 or V4. I do with everything else, including X-Plane 11 and Aerofly FS2.

Regards,

Mike

I hope folks didn't overlook this post from Mike.  I checked my CPU and GPU temps (very high), and heard the fans roaring trying to keep things cool.  I always had my frames at unlimited in FSX, but in P3D v4 you're wise to set a cap of 30 or so.  I was getting 50-80 fps on unlimited, but it's not worth frying the system components to achieve that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

If you don't push the sliders, don't use dynamic reflections and be reasonable with your settings, you are fine.  Mine is a GTX980 with 4GB and I am seeing gain of up to 50% versus V3 in the same settings and same scenario.  Most importantly I don't see stutters anymore, which is a huge plus.  At KSEA and ORBX PNW, I actually can use some ground traffics now and see also smooth flight.  So on my modest system: i7-2700K oc 4.8 Ghz and the GTX980, P3Dv4 performs very well. I also did not touch any config files, and don't plan to for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for that.  My thought that it's very rarely beneficial to upgrade one '100' step.  For example a 570 to a 670 is probably not worth it.  From a 570 to a 770 might be more worth it.  I'm on a 970 4K now so that would mean waiting for an 1170 or whatever the next generation is.  Might be different in this case since P3D has pushed the video card hard with this release. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Thanks for that.  My thought that it's very rarely beneficial to upgrade one '100' step.  For example a 570 to a 670 is probably not worth it.  From a 570 to a 770 might be more worth it.  I'm on a 970 4K now so that would mean waiting for an 1170 or whatever the next generation is.  Might be different in this case since P3D has pushed the video card hard with this release. 

You would benefit greatly moving up to a 1080ti if you are running in 4k.

I went from a 970 and 4k runs extremely well in p3d on a 1080ti.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

4 hours ago, lodestar said:

Are you sure your GPU is having trouble keeping up? I would go first for a CPU which can be overclocked much higher. Of course, the best thing would be upgrading both, CPU and GPU. I'm saying this becouse i have 2700K overclocked to 4.9GHz and an 560ti, fortunately it's a 2gb Vram msi twin frozr. I overclocked my GPU for the first time yesterday and i'm getting 30fps(i have them locked at 30)in any situation now, and sim is a very, very smooth. Performance was good even before overclocking my GPU, but i had stutters. Now fps are at 30 all the time and i don't have stutters at all anymore, even in bad weather with as2016 + ASCA at payware airports.  I'm surprised with my old system performance.  Becouse of this i've said - i would go for a CPU first

Thanks for the reply Iodestar - kind of thinking of replacing motherboard, cpu and gpu as well - finding my cpu running hotish, system is 6 years old, a beast in its time when I built it but showing its age now... 

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Anybody with an RX480 8GB or similar? 

Slowly but sadly returns to FSX:SE 

Does anyone have noticed this: 

Till today my GPU was at 85-99 % usage, since today i only have 30-44 % usage. 

CPU is mostly at 100 % but GPU not and also i have blurry ground textures and the autogen is loaded quite slowly. 

I allready did a fresh install of p3d, didn`t help.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

32 minutes ago, 331BK said:

CPU is mostly at 100 % but GPU not and also i have blurry ground textures and the autogen is loaded quite slowly. 

Did you set an affinity mask setting in the .cfg file? If yes remove it. That caused blurries for me.

I believe the CPU is your bottleneck. I'm running a 4820K overclocked to 4.5Ghz with a Titan X (Maxwell) and get 19 - 28 FPS at KSFO in the PMDG 747. I've got Orbx NCA, OpenLC NA, FTX Global, and Flightbeam KSFO. I have to turn off dynamic lighting and dynamic reflections to achieve acceptable FPS. My CPU is pretty much pegged at 99% on all cores. Personally, I believe the CPU is whats holding me back.

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

4 hours ago, curt1 said:

I hope folks didn't overlook this post from Mike.  I checked my CPU and GPU temps (very high), and heard the fans roaring trying to keep things cool.  I always had my frames at unlimited in FSX, but in P3D v4 you're wise to set a cap of 30 or so.  I was getting 50-80 fps on unlimited, but it's not worth frying the system components to achieve that.  

I think you're limiting yourself unnecessarily. Get some decent cooling and don't overclock your gpu, and you should be fine. I run on 'unlimited' 95% of the time, you get substantially better frame rates. 30 frames per second is very old-school, I know a lot of people are used to it and consider it 'smooth', but you'll get better smoothness at higher frame rates than this, which really does contribute the the sensation of flight.

aerofly 2 has two options to lock frames at - 120 and 240. Having gotten used to flying at 120 fps after a lot of recent AF2 time, it has been difficult coming back to fsx-based sims! Still, I'm getting decent smoothness out of P3d v4 on the unlimited setting.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, 331BK said:

Remove AffinityMask from your Prepar3D file. To reset the whole Configs to default you can also delete the config under Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  --> delete Prepar3D.cfg.  Start v4, everything should be normal.

14 hours ago, A340Bangla said:

Rob,

have you tried

Thanks for the info.

Got this message a tad late. Went to check out for 1070s, preparing myself to get the 1080Ti if I could not, but the 1080 Ti was reserved (lurking simmer around?).

So have ordered a 1070 down from Bangkok (15800 BHT); should be here Thursday. Keen to see what it does for my setup.

Does the Bangla in your username mean by any change you are in Banglamung? If so PM me some time and maybe we can arrange to meet up? Not met any simmers around here, so not that easy to relate to people - they think this "hobby" of mine is really nuts.

Rob H

Robin Harris

I found this very interesting on the p3D forums from Beau.  http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=124932

Re: Tweaking hardware and p3d v4. Questions for Prepar3d

Postby Beau Hollis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm

1) If they are all the same speed, more is always better. Prepar3D can and will use all cores.
2) The speed of the primary core will be the determining factor FPS assuming your settings have you CPU-bound. For raw FPS, less cores at a higher clock will yield better results. On the other hand, more cores will improve the speed at which new terrain textures, and autogen data load in. Maxing out the new draw distance and terrain resolutions setting will request several times more data than v3 was able to. When paging performance isn't fast enough to keep up with flying speed, you will get blurry textures, models popping in, and reduced autogen draw distances.
3) We create a job queue per core (including HT cores). Background jobs do tasks like generating textures and loading terrain data.
4) More is always better. You'll need to check with each add-on provider for guidance on memory/GPU usage.
5) This really depends. Generally speaking it's simulation and rendering work. Cranking up traffic and using a heavy VC models with lots of draw calls will increase your work load quite a bit for example.
6) Not sure of the exact order here but the heaviest hitters are Dynamic Reflections, Shadows, Dynamic Lighting, Ultra Water (3D waves) and anti-aliasing.
7) This determines how many scenery model placements draw. Rather than using a percentage like autogen does, scenery models are tagged by the scenery dev as to which scenery complexity level they should draw in. For this reason, this setting can be very dependent on how add-ons are built. If an add-on really wants you to see every model, they may flag them all to show up on the lowest setting.
8) These setting are heavy hitters because they require rendering many additional 3D views which are sampled for creating shadows and reflections. 
9) This is happening because the textures haven't loaded in yet. We have a ticket to look into improving this. You might be able to improve this by tweaking some texture entries in the Prepar3D.cfg. I believe there is a bandwidth multiplier used to determine the number of textures per frame that can be streamed to the card. Increasing this might speed up texture loads at the cost of potential stutters on frames where large amounts of texture data are streamed.

Thanks

Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Rendering System Lead

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

31 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

30 frames per second is very old-school, I know a lot of people are used to it and consider it 'smooth', but you'll get better smoothness at higher frame rates than this, which really does contribute the the sensation of flight.

aerofly 2 has two options to lock frames at - 120 and 240. Having gotten used to flying at 120 fps after a lot of recent AF2 time, it has been difficult coming back to fsx-based sims! Still, I'm getting decent smoothness out of P3d v4 on the unlimited setting.

+1