Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

v4 Addon Scenery Question

There's so much talk about addons and how they work in v4, that I'm more than a little confused about installing them...

If I simply try installing a scenery into v4, is likely to actually 'break' something, or, will it just not work correctly?

Many sceneries that I already have installed for v3, 'appear' to work ok in v4, by simply using the scenery library to add them. Should I not be doing this?

I am doing the same and until now it works :-)

As I understand it, adding an existing scenery through the Scenery Library shouldn't cause a problem, but older sceneries with installers theoretically could install stuff in improper places in v4 and cause problems. Probably best to wait for updated installers on those.

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

It doesnt matter where it gets installed, if you delete the entry in the csenery.cfg and set it up xml-style, the xml-file will point to the installation directory and the add-on.cfg will point to the xml-file.

If you have an airport that installed with the xml-file, which you can find in the Documents/Prepar3D v4 add-ons/ folder, you can use that as example. Just change the names and paths in the file to the name and path of the addon scenery and texture folders and save the xml-file to its own folder, within the Documents/Prepar3D v4 add-ons/ folder. Then go to the add-on.cfg, copy 1 entry, paste it at the bottom of the document and adjust TITLE and point the path to the folder you just made for the xml-file.

Not everything works, but a I got several airport from different publishers working.

Cheers!

Maarten

I still have V3 installed and prior to installing V4 I moved my addon airports to my SSD E: drive.  Within V4 i have gone to the scenery library and manually added them.  So far, the few I have done this with have worked.  I am taking it slow for fear of breaking something.  I am a relative novice so seeking any suggestions as to if this is acceptable.