Sign in to follow this  
mikebxb

wrecked another RA Duke Turbine 9 for 10 climb outs

With manual in lap from active I gently roll out everything in the green following the printed guidelines. I killed the right engine around 8900' I don't know why except I'm not enough pilot for a turbine duke.. my kingdom for an updated Realair regular piston Duke B60. with working strobe and nav lights!

I've got over 700 hrs total in SE, ME, IFR and VFR. (SIM) The few mishaps I've had, I was able to walk away from. This cat has used up his 9 screwing 9 RoyalTurbine Dukes into terra firma nose first.

2 Monitors, 240G SSD.FSX:Steam with UTX USA Scenery, ORBX Base, Buildings, Airports, NorCAL, Steam addon- Airports, Trees, Milviz310R, Alabeo310R, Flight1 GTN750/650, Carenado- TBM850, Baron, Arrow, V35, F33, C441, 421C, Phenom 100, Premier 1A, RA Duke B60 V2, RA Duke Turbine V2,  Active Sky Next always running real WX. Skyvector 

thanks, espensh

about 75% throttle , 75% prop AP set for 1600 fps ascent to FL 195 From KBUR to KCOS. Fuel vents open, fuel pumps on, conditioners at low idle, watching gauges very closely  of course flaps and LG's up

What do I grab ? first when SHTF???????

didn't know there were oil doors ...will open next time

2 Monitors, 240G SSD.FSX:Steam with UTX USA Scenery, ORBX Base, Buildings, Airports, NorCAL, Steam addon- Airports, Trees, Milviz310R, Alabeo310R, Flight1 GTN750/650, Carenado- TBM850, Baron, Arrow, V35, F33, C441, 421C, Phenom 100, Premier 1A, RA Duke B60 V2, RA Duke Turbine V2,  Active Sky Next always running real WX. Skyvector 

It can be tricky. I think this is more prevalent when you climb rapidly(low speed).

Try to set the Torque (throttle in the sim) to 1100-1150 and the RPM to 2000 as soon after take off as is safe (given the conditions).  Agree w/ monitoring the oil temps and using the coolers.

Greg

2 hours ago, lownslo said:

Try to set the Torque (throttle in the sim) to 1100-1150 and the RPM to 2000 as soon after take off as is safe (given the conditions).  Agree w/ monitoring the oil temps and using the coolers.

Greg

thanks, Greg

Departed KCOS ascended to FL195 then up to FL235 (VFR so undisturbed by pesky Comtrollers)

found and fully opened oil doors

so far so good. I'm learning. but what are the conditioners for? i'm running them on slow idle.  (  saw youtube video where FSMANIA uses them for Taxi..)

I have FSX set to show IAS - the analog airspeed reads 178 Indicated / but the digital popup reads 258 True. further, the GTN 750 reads 243 KT GS

Pictures coming Thanks for the tips

Congrats!  The best explanation for the Conditioners I've found is in RealAir's Turbine Duke Guide... pg 61.  Your noted air speeds look right... of course, the GPS will show ground speed.  The airplane will scoot... just last week I flew from the left coast to Lamar (near you) and averaged 300+ kts ground speed across much of Nevada and Utah.  250-260kts TAS is no problem.  Great fun!

Cheers,

Greg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940075577

was doing great made it from KCOS to over Salina Kansas 96% Throttle slow Idle and 76% prop everything in green and the right engine blew.. ( didn't check oil temps right before )

tried to set it down KSLN  and then FSX crashed.. 10 out 11 flights unsuccessful with this da*med Turbine

better representation.. all was cool right before the right motor crapped out..https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/764897132630307678/D6BEDBEDA8FB31ED04B62D63E7A7BE12A2B23D76/

notice the props are a little hot  but the ng is thresholding near 100%

Love this plane but it sure sucked the wind out of another great flight..

Our own Frank Patton (fppilot) added his ops checklist to this thread:

His checklist is what I use... and has proved invaluable to me for learning how NOT to blow the turbines on the TDuke.

Greg

thanks again Greg.

btw I just found out I been flying the Realair Duke Turbine VER 1.2       NOT VER 2

I've written for support as the site won't let me upgrade.

Refusing to give up on flying the turbine AND realizing I have DukeT Ver 1.2 NOT V2 I started fresh flight today KSLN - KSTL  with the Duke Turb V1.2 manual in hand I was cruising right along real WX, gauges in the green, at 7500'condioners on low idle, props under 2000 rpm, throttle approx 76%, oil doors, fuel vents open. all systems green.  Doing 260  KTs GS, HG's safely around 95-6%  3 monitors -three windows open plus the GTN750 pop up.. I started fiddling' around with the GTN750 (still learning the ins and outs. Thing sure is fun!) and FSX implodes crashes and reboots back to active RW KSLN. 

I had set the engine failures to never

In an effort for realism I always fly Real WX and with airframe and crash overstressable and crashable respectively

so........I suspect I oversped the aircraft even though I read that the V2 Duke can cruise at 300 KTs TAS....

Your thoughts welcome.

meantime I'm finishing the flight in the Duke B60 at 5500