Sign in to follow this  
77west

I managed to OOM v4!

During testing setting the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 flag, with a PMDG 747 over ORBX New Zealand, I got OOM on loadout.

Now this is not a VAS OOM, but literally, it hit a RAM limit. Not sure if VRAM or system RAM, I have 16GB system RAM and 8GB VRAM, I saw P3D using just under 12GB system RAM, and 7.4GB VRAM, just before P3D gave me the OOM message.

Now I was just testing to see how far I could push it, but would appreciate from LM if I upped my system RAM to 32GB, if P3D would actually scale well and use additional RAM or not.

Removing the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 flag, I see about 6GB system RAM and 4GB VRAM used, in the same situation.

Interesting. 

(Before anyone goes off at me, I am testing, not criticising or in any way suggesting or implying anything about P3Dv4 other than it is awesome!)

• Upvote 1

We'll still have to spank you :ohmy:

• Upvote 5

David Porrett

Well done Wes! BTW I already have 32GB of RAM so I should be fine.:mellow:

Why would it hit a RAM limit, when it could use a pagefile? Did you try increasing your page file size?

Could you also post the exact message?

YOU did not hit the OOM/VAS limit. I can assure you that. 

I do not know how the VRAM works and its limitations... so I cannot comment on that... 

I am also glad you are pushing it to the limit to see its perimeter! :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

Why would it hit a RAM limit, when it could use a pagefile? Did you try increasing your page file size?

I was gonna ask the same.

Dirk.

I forgot about pagefile duh...! I usually run no pagefile as in the past nothing used all my RAM. Will try with pagefile and see. 

7 minutes ago, 77west said:

I forgot about pagefile duh...! I usually run no pagefile as in the past nothing used all my RAM. Will try with pagefile and see. 

That's the answer to why you hit the RAM limit.

Once it's using the pagefile you'll be getting about 2 fps

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

The consensus is already that 32GB RAM is the way to go at very high settings in P3Dv4

Dirk.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dirk98 said:

The consensus is already that 32GB RAM is the way to go at very high settings in P3Dv4

Dirk.

Already there , XP11 pushed me there last winter :P

11 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I dont plan on that for normal simming. I kinda did this to see if upgrading to 32gb is worth it given i am looking at getting a new rig with the new i9 cpu family etc. Might wait till then so i dont waste cash on more ddr3 ram

32GB is worth it. It's usually a nightmare to find matching RAM a few years later short of replacing all sticks. In XP 11 with HD mesh I OOM'd my PC a few times. I suspect with P3D once we start loading addons with no restriction or VAS budget to worry about 16GB will quickly become too little on this platform as well.

after reading all of this 64GB RAM sounds like a plan for my upcoming build ...... 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

39 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Dirk.

The consensus a few months ago was that 16gigs would be more than enough for any sim. based on experience of how things like that usually turn out, I immediately purchased 32gigs for my new computer! :ha:

If people start saying 32gigs is the sweet spot, I'll have to start pricing how to get to 64gigs........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I never bothered with more in the past because obviously p3d cant use it, i may temporarily borrow some to get 32gb then put 64gb in new build in a few months. Being in IT has its perks lol