Sign in to follow this  
Vali

FPS drop with light on PMDG 747 in V4

I noticed with PMDG 747 a drop of 20fps in outside view (from 70fps average to 50fps average) when I switch ON the Logo lights and wing lights.

Does anyone knows why?

With all lights ON P3D gets to 25 fps average. Is it only due to AA it seems... 4xSSAA vs 4xMSAA...

Dynamic reflections option is OFF.

Casting and receiving is selected only for internal and external vehicle. Shadow quality is High and draw distance is Medium.

Dynamic light is selected.

Reflections are selected for User Vehicle, Terrain and Buildings, special effects detail and distance are set to Medium.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

It's the impact of the dynamic lightning. Less noticable during daylight. If you turn on only the landing lights no frame loss, landing lights + storbes - a few frames lost, turn on taxi and runway turnoof 1/2 of the frames are lost. At least in my case, and i have 8xMSAA on on strix 1060 O8G

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Yea the FPS loss is quite sad, its only stuttering if I turn on all the lights which is basically always when you take off/land

Agreed, hopefully this can be addressed by PMDG through the means of an option within the FMC to add 'legacy' light splashes? That way you can disable dynamic lights within V4 and instead select legacy light splashes within the FMC, I turned off dynamic lights last night and ended up without landing lights on the 747 which was a bit hopeless...

Jonathon Ryans

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rdtv91 said:

hopefully this can be addressed by PMDG

This is more of a LM thing, honestly. The sim environment needs to be able to offload processing onto the GPU. A lot of you are pointing to how nice of a GPU you have, but the reality is P3D really isn't doing much with it, at least when it comes to taking advantage of it. If you look at the games of today, they're all really taking advantage of DX12 and all of that. P3D is still DX11, so a lot of the cool stuff you can do in modern games, you just can't in P3D without huge hits.

1 hour ago, rdtv91 said:

an option within the FMC to add 'legacy' light splashes?

Not possible, unfortunately. Would've been waaaaaaaaaay too much work to get both working in a switchable case like that. Heck, the old method was enough of a bear. Having it switchable would have been a giant mess.

There are some reports on various sites that either setting a frame limit, or not setting one seems to help quite a lot.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This is more of a LM thing, honestly. The sim environment needs to be able to offload processing onto the GPU. A lot of you are pointing to how nice of a GPU you have, but the reality is P3D really isn't doing much with it, at least when it comes to taking advantage of it. If you look at the games of today, they're all really taking advantage of DX12 and all of that. P3D is still DX11, so a lot of the cool stuff you can do in modern games, you just can't in P3D without huge hits.

Not possible, unfortunately. Would've been waaaaaaaaaay too much work to get both working in a switchable case like that. Heck, the old method was enough of a bear. Having it switchable would have been a giant mess.

There are some reports on various sites that either setting a frame limit, or not setting one seems to help quite a lot.

Thanks to clearing that up, I've since been playing around with the AA settings and it does seem setting to MSAA rather than SSAA is the way to go after playing around with GPU-Z running, managed to get rid of the GPU bottleneck with dynamic lights, phew.

Can I be cheeky and ask how the 777/737 are coming along ;) Need my old 737 workhorse haha! The feeling of P3D v4 is like when I first switched to FSX properly when you brought out the NGX back in 2011! Feels an age away!

Thanks,

Jonathon Ryans

10 minutes ago, rdtv91 said:

Thanks to clearing that up, I've since been playing around with the AA settings and it does seem setting to MSAA rather than SSAA is the way to go after playing around with GPU-Z running, managed to get rid of the GPU bottleneck with dynamic lights, phew.

Can I be cheeky and ask how the 777/737 are coming along ;) Need my old 737 workhorse haha! The feeling of P3D v4 is like when I first switched to FSX properly when you brought out the NGX back in 2011! Feels an age away!

Thanks,

Jonathon Ryans

Jonathan, 

i was speaking with Rob Ainscough yesterday going through some question I had on some things and he indicated the most noticeable performance hit comes with Dynamic Lights and AA setting, anything above 2X SSAA (MSAA seems ok upto 4X) will produce a considerable FPS hit at night when using aircraft/scenery that have Dynamic Lights (at 4K res).

8 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Jonathan, 

i was speaking with Rob Ainscough yesterday going through some question I had on some things and he indicated the most noticeable performance hit comes with Dynamic Lights and AA setting, anything above 2X SSAA (MSAA seems ok upto 4X) will produce a considerable FPS hit at night when using aircraft/scenery that have Dynamic Lights (at 4K res).

Certainly what I've seen today when playing around with it, I've even managed MSAA upto 8x without issue, will probably leave it on MSAA 4x for the time being, bit of a pain after using SGSS with p3d v3, so the image isn't just as nice - think I'm going to invest in a 4K monitor as people are saying the AA would be ok then due to the resolution? Otherwise going to try DSR to test it from within Nvidia... Using a GTX980Ti.

I built a profile for my 1070 in the nvidia control panel and can sit any FSDT CYVR with 50% road and aircraft traffic with AS2016v4 and Orbx stuff and get around 37 in the VC. Keep in mind that my sliders are jammed full right - some are but most are failed back because I do t need hem running full tilt. It's a compromise 

52 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

There's some games released in 2016-2017 that use DX11. I'm playing some right now.

The amount of games that take advantage of DirectX 12 is relatively small.

So as I tested, for now, 2 combinations can be used, it is or 4xMSAA and Dynamic lights ON or 4xSSAA and Dynamic lights OFF. These have for me similar fps.

The problem with 4xMSAA and Dynamic lights ON, I have jaggies...and some stutters. And when it rains heavily, there are not anymore similar fps, first combination get almost 50% less.

So for now I prefer  4xSSAA and Dynamic lights OFF.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Vali said:

So as I tested, for now, 2 combinations can be used, it is or 4xMSAA and Dynamic lights ON or 4xSSAA and Dynamic lights OFF. These have for me similar fps

I see the same thing. Except when I turn off dynamic lighting I no longer have any ground illumination (even though that feature is checked).

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

... If you look at the games of today, they're all really taking advantage of DX12 and all of that. P3D is still DX11, so a lot of the cool stuff you can do in modern games, you just can't in P3D without huge hits.

Maybe like 20 games use Dx12? Far better-looking lighting effects can be found anywhere in loads of <=DX11 games without requiring Titans. Dx12 is not the answer to this problem.

--

Martyn Pearson

5 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Kyle,

Could PMDG consider temporarily re-implementing the old lighting system as found in the v3.x version, for the time being?

While it does not look look anywhere as good, it has no impact on our performance (regardless of user hardware). 

When and if, LM comes around to optimizing the dynamic lighting system, you can always switch back!

I understand that having both is technically not feasible. So using the one with the least impact on user experience could be a good compromise for the time being. The current set-up is already painful on the -400, and I imagine will be just as bad or worse on the B777 and 737NG, due to their numerous lights.

Hello, if mentioned GPU workload, strange in my case. Looks like the problem is in GPU, not CPU. If I have dynamic lightings on and lights on then FPS goes down. There is no impact on FPS performance if I overclock CPU, GPU is always 100%. Once I switch off lights, GPU usage goes to 70% and all is working perfectly.....

So if some workload could be vice-versa get back to CPU it could work better (with lights ) ?

JM

Jan Maca

maca11

using PMDG 747 v3

P3D v 4.3