Sign in to follow this  
Noel

GTX Titan Xp v 1080Ti: besides the massive cost diff and 1GB more VRAM, what's the difference for P3D V4?

2 minutes ago, SimonC said:

As in TSE was probably used...

Point me to the settings used please?

And of course Texture Size Exponent was used, it's the basis for this entire discussion...  As in, none of us would even be talking about how much VRAM we have unless this feature was added, and utilized by us flight simmers.

Ah I thought you meant some other test. I also mixed stuff up, sorry.

Well, says it all. You can push and push and push, and you'll never have enough. Even 12GB won't be enough. Catch my drift? :happy:

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Ah I thought you meant some other test. I also mixed stuff up, sorry.

Well, says it all. You can push and push and push, and you'll never have enough. Even 12GB won't be enough. Catch my drift? :happy:

I don't think we have a test case yet that has exceeded 11GB, but I concede that it is certainly possible (and alluded to this in my first post re: the OP's question).  To be frank, I look forward to the day when I need a graphics card with more VRAM just to crank up the settings in flight sim.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I'm one to shoot for best parts for new builds, but since my 4.2y/o box is really up to the task for the time being (likely won't go V4 until all my add ons will work) except the video card I'm looking at these two options.  I'm not seeing a compelling reason to go w/ Titan Xp, but I really don't know.  1080Ti is massively stronger than my GTX Titan, so I plan to sell it and go w/ 1080Ti or God forbid, Titan Xp.  As I say, the cost difference is really substantial, yet published specs seem almost insignificant.  Please correct me if that's not the case.

This is a question the Rob Ainscough would answer.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

14 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

To be frank, I look forward to the day when I need a graphics card with more VRAM just to crank up the settings in flight sim.  

Personally, I am just happy that I can enjoy the flight without fear of running out of memory - but, to each his own.

1 hour ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I agree that a Titan Xp is not a good value buy for P3D.  There are only 2 reasons to buy:

1) if you must have the absolute best performance possible, even if that extra performance costs another $500 and is only 7% faster than the $700 card (1080 Ti) which uses the same GPU (GP102).  

2) the extra 1GB VRAM *might* help when pushing the sim to the absolute limit

Rob Ainscough has stated a number of times now he's seen VRAM usage peak at 10.8GB on his 1080 Ti in P3D v4 with settings maxed and tons of add-ons.  That's awfully close to the 11GB limit of the card...  Food for thought.

Agree

Even Rob says that peak is 10.8GB, that can mean that there is no more video memory avaialble and it using unified memory (RAM will be used as VRAM), you can propably can see some extra load on buss interface as there is more transfers via PCI-E.

OK thanks all that is good enough to make the decision.  1080Ti seems like the way to go for my needs.  How about water cooling--looks like 10% increase in total performance w/ the water cooling and that seems substantial enough unless this entails a lot of cost and hassle.   I've only used stock cooling on my GPUs, and Noctua air cooler on my 3930K.  

While we're here I have a question about nVidia Inspector's overclocking utility.  I notice w/ my old GTX Titan I have to disable autofan control in the overclocking utility in order for the clock speed to ramp up.  It is behaving as if clock speed is temperature controlled.  Is there a way to set it up so that fan speed automatically ramps up?  Seems weird that autofan will chug along at a fair low clip, clock speed stays around 890 or so, and if I uncheck the autofan box and manually set to 70% of maximum fan speed then very quickly clock speed ramps up--and the problem is that it's always running at 70% even when it doesn't need to!  So I'm looking for the trick to get autofan to aim for whatever it takes to maintain the highest clock speed the GPU can run at, but then down regulate when GPU demand wanes.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Water cooling will increase default boost on card, for my 1080 I go about 100MHz up. But with good system cooling and good non reference cooling - ASUS, MSI, EVGA... it will be good enough. Water cooling if fine for aestetics, performance and noise. But custom water loop (CPU and GPU) will cost you about same price as 1080Ti

And for auto fan control, you can set up it manually or own curve for fan speed. Try EVGA utility which can do it at least for pascal chips. NV GPU clock depends on temperature and power limits. Even at default clocks, you propably hit power limit on pascal chips before you reach temp limit. Depends on bios, you can usually go to something like 120% power limit and 91°C temp.

Definitely going to pick up a 1080Ti unless something better comes out around the same price.  Water cooling should be quieter, no?  How about this from EVGA I just found:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5388-B1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, SimonC said:

Personally, I am just happy that I can enjoy the flight without fear of running out of memory - but, to each his own.

Of course I'm happy with that as well.  What I meant by my earlier comment is that now we have a sim to match up to the hardware, and we can keep pushing settings to make the sim look even better as the newer, better hardware is released.  With the 32-bit sims, this wasn't possible.  

5 hours ago, newtie said:

I'm currently running Haswell/4.4/TitanBlack w/6GB/EVO Pro SSDs

I run photoscenery only with AI at my major hubs.

I have TEXTURE_EXP=10 in the config. with ~4.3VRAM used and an 88% GPU load @69c temp.

Silky smooth at 30fps solid.

A 1080 whatever wouldn't help me at all. :biggrin:

Really eh?

Using that tweak set at 10?

Only using 4.3 vram?

Settings must be low?

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Really eh?

Only using 4.3 vram?

Settings must be low?

Add-ons matter.  A lot.  VRAM usage is all about texture quality.  Many 3rd party add-ons utilize 1k, 2k, or even 4k textures, which are massive in size compared with the stock textures.  

2 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Add-ons matter.  A lot.  VRAM usage is all about texture quality.  Many 3rd party add-ons utilize 1k, 2k, or even 4k textures, which are massive in size compared with the stock textures.  

I am using the 4k textures with scenery now

I have 2 x6gb titan sc in sli

Would this be an issue using that tweak 

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Really eh?

Only using 4.3 vram?

Settings must be low?

Correct. Not too interested in trees and buildings :biggrin: