Sign in to follow this  
GhiomKL

How to deal with STARs and their Altitude constraints

Having used RCv4 for ever, with the development of RNAV STARs in the US, I am now struggling to fly my STAR respecting the constraints while adhering to unlinked  (if not contradictory) RC's instructions.

I'd like to know how you guys manage that?

too bad there is no option to fly our own STAR like there is to fly the SID.

Ghiom

There are a couple of options:

Once you have been given an approach clearance getting the runway assignment about 40 nm out you can request an IAP to the assigned runway which is total navigation to final on your own to final - no vectors, no altitude restrictions. If you have navigation equipment with its own terminal procedures database you can select its approach for guidance. You will not hear nor be monitored by RC until on close final. You should have the STAR displayed at least to common runway approach waypoints displayed on your navigation display if equipped. I have an AIRAC updatable flight planner and FMC database. If you have an FMC you can input the assigned runway to add to its sequence.

The other option is NOTAMS for just the altitude release as an advisement following vectors and still crossing the required waypoints. As far as RC you can skip waypoints by advancing its sequence in the in-flight RC windowed menu under advanced options 9.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owuz7p2ohx7y7st/fsb tips and update.pdf?dl=0

has some tips about getting the RC flight plan and approach navigation in sync.

Addendum to my reply:

NOTAMS does not release the altitude restrictions given about 40 nm out of 11,000 feet or 12,000 feet or FL equivalent for the area. Those are hard constraints.

Thanks

I guess if the 40mm is a hard constraint there is nothing to be done...

I hate to have to be at FL110 at 50nm coming from the South when having to land North and coming off a STAR.

i just have to quiet the controller that isn't happy.

I certainly do the IAP as soon as I can which is almost always too late.

You could try disabling the vertical watchdog. When at cruise select 9 then 3 - Turbulence option. You'll get some smart retort about not mentioning it in your filed plan but it effectively turns off the vertical watchdog.

It is turned back on later by an action but I can't recall what that is. Try it and let us know how you get on. I use it successfully when flying Concorde with a filed altitude of FL600 which is rarely achieved but it is always filed in the plan.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thank you

i will try that.

What about the hard constraint at 40nm. Is it overriden as well?

ghiom

I think it may but can't be sure. It's a while since I last did this.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Does not work.

I am thinking I can indeed quiet the controller. Can I do it with a shortcut from RCv4 or I need to use the Windows sound controller?

ghiom

What doesn't work? Please be specific.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You still need to be at 40NM at a set altitude. And after declaring a deviation for turbulence you need to announce that you cleared the area and are back on track. The messages exchanged are also not very realistic when there is obviously no turbulence.

my best best is to turn off the volume of RCv4 or if available within the addon (eqv to Q in the sim).

ghiom

Right so the 40nm FL110/120 rule is still enforced.

You can't really complain about the turbulence message not being realistic and then announce you are going to turn the volume to zero. Either use RC4 as it was designed or do your own thing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather